The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Emergencies Act (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..18~19~20 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Looks like Justin is going to follow even more closely in his Dad's footsteps. Smile

"OTTAWA -- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday that his government is looking into recalling Parliament for a brief period in order to pass emergency measures, including possibly the federal Emergencies Act in response to COVID-19."

"Formerly known as the War Measures Act, the current iteration passed in 1988 and has never been used. The last time these federal emergency powers were invoked was during the 1970 FLQ October Crisis, when Trudeau's father was the prime minister."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronaviru.......4857005
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavi......2331252/

I have NO IDEA if this is overblown hype, with the numbers so low, OR actual pandemic. I am not an infectious disease expert so I can only go by the guidelines put forth by those at our CDC in America. SO with that viewpoint I am happy to see action like this taken for our neighbors to the North! Relief is needed no matter WHAT is happening! I am happy to see action swift and decisive.

Our relief in the link above is 90 day no penalty for tax extensions. Not a bad start for small businesses.

I hope all get through these times with as little discomfort as possible. And for those affected by the actual disease I hold a good thought for fast recovery. In the end it is easy to forget it is people represented by those numbers thrown around.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
One would think the dead would at least get a decent burial:

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/co......428.html
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
From tommy's article:

"The problem is Irish funerals occur very quickly after death, typically within three or four days and the current taking up the virus will stay with the deceased for several days afterwards," he said."

There are religious mandates in the Jewish and I believe the Islamic religions to bury very soon after death as well. It makes sense to postpone the actual funeral service until a later time when people can mourn together. I just received an email from an influential local rabbinical council announcing that the Jewish custom of sitting shiva (friends and family go over to the bereaved immediate relatives of the deceased for 7 days) will be suspended whether the death was caused by the virus or not--the immediate family will sit by themselves with no visitors.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2020, tommy wrote:
One would think the dead would at least get a decent burial:

Let the dead bury their dead. The rest of us are busy trying to find new ways to panic.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The good news is, prisoners are being released.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51947802
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Wise policy.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2020, magicalaurie wrote:
Looks like Justin is going to follow even more closely in his Dad's footsteps. Smile

"OTTAWA -- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday that his government is looking into recalling Parliament for a brief period in order to pass emergency measures, including possibly the federal Emergencies Act in response to COVID-19."

"Formerly known as the War Measures Act, the current iteration passed in 1988 and has never been used. The last time these federal emergency powers were invoked was during the 1970 FLQ October Crisis, when Trudeau's father was the prime minister."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronaviru.......4857005

It should already have been done.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
In New York State, like several others now, we are on official lockdown; all businesses closed except pharmacies, laundromats, take out restaurant, groceries and emergency services. Schools closed too, and you can go outside but no team sports.

Here's the thing I don't get though--I just passed my local schoolyard, and there are kids running around the track and so on; okay, that's cool, they got to blow off steam somehow. But there are also parents watching, even encouraging their kids to go on the playground equipment--monkey bars and so on. WTF are those parents thinking???
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Some think, and I may just be one of them, that the draconian reaction to the virus will kill more people than it saves because the draconian reaction is causing poverty, which is the biggest killer on the planet.

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Lol
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy

Tommy
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I've been in the hospitals and nursing homes.
What I've seen would fill pages, most of which would not be HIPAA compliant.
It's real. It's bad. Please follow the guidelines.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
There are a lot of poor homeless people and there will be a lot more with the guidelines in effect closing businesses. The homeless can’t afford to stock up on supplies and stay at home, because the homeless have no money nor homes. So the guidelines asking them to please do so are pretty useless to them, it seems to me. Poverty in the USA kills 100,000 or so a year and moreover, these poor homeless people are weak and hungry and so more susceptible to the virus.

Tommy
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I agree, magicfish. And he hasn't invoked it yet. All of these half measures and delays and people "rebelling" are the same mistakes that occurred in the previously affected areas. We have enough information to chart a preventive course but that can only be done early on and it's getting later than necessary. We don't want to see numbers. The whole idea is to prevent numbers, but I think somehow that concept is foreign to those who need to act fast.

Cooperation is another factor. They used to teach that on Sesame Street. People are realizing suddenly that we all actually live in the same home here on Earth. It's that simple.
The Scary Librarian
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of The Scary Librarian
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2020, magicalaurie wrote:
I agree, magicfish. And he hasn't invoked it yet. All of these half measures and delays and people "rebelling" are the same mistakes that occurred in the previously affected areas. We have enough information to chart a preventive course but that can only be done early on and it's getting later than necessary. We don't want to see numbers. The whole idea is to prevent numbers, but I think somehow that concept is foreign to those who need to act fast.

Cooperation is another factor. They used to teach that on Sesame Street. People are realizing suddenly that we all actually live in the same home here on Earth. It's that simple.

Argh THAT is so true! Not wanting to see numbers of your own when there are plenty examples available.

Closing the barn door once the horse is out is not a sound strategy.

Here is hoping it changes fast, or the actions being taken are correct. I'll settle for either one.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
How are self-employed street magicians, who have just done their brains playing the market because they wouldn’t listen to the word on the street, going to manage, to stay at home, to stock up on supplies, to pay their rent and other bills, at the same time as giving free advice to everybody at the magic Café?

Tommy
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
"Doctor groups are recommending testing and isolation for people who lose their ability to smell and taste, even if they have no other symptoms."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/healt......ste.html
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
French police are fining the homeless for not staying at home.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Emergencies Act (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..18~19~20 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL