The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What are you doing during this down time? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
Just curious what everybody is doing during your down time.

I'm working on a new show, for a new market. Once this blows over, I'll b eon the road, but at the end of the season, I'll be prepared to start slowly breaking in to the new market.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Working with my dog on his "down in motion", his "guard" and other off leash skills.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
We have a Shi Tzu that is great without her leash on, but our boxer was difficult. She didn't start being obedient, without a leash until she was about three years old. What kind of dog do you have?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He is a German Shepard. (I had 3 Boxers, great dogs.)

He is being trained for personal protection. That is why I got a Shepard this time. His father and mother were both Shuts-hound or as it is referred to now IPO dogs. He is not going to compete as I personally have no real use for a dog who can run over an A frame, but one who can ride in a boat and not be freaked out is a good thing. One who is fine with long car rides is more important to me than one who can track.

I have always liked dogs, trained dogs for a while. Now we are getting into a kennel and advanced training facility. I am just a partner though because I have NOWHERE near the experience needed to train dogs for the public. Of course you didn't ask that now did you LOL?

Also just to be clear no matter what when he is in public he will be leashed no matter what. I am a big believer in leash laws and such. It is just if he gets out or something happens that I think it is really important. Things happen. I would never walk any dog in pubic without a leash. I think it is irresponsible. I live in an Urban setting. You never know WHAT may set a dog off. It can happen. He is almost 75 pounds and only 16 months old. He will dress out at about 80 most likely. That much animal NOT on a leash can be horrifying in an Urban setting.

So that is what I do with my time off.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1424 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Danny,

Is your dog's name Delord, as in 'Delord is my Shepard?' Smile

I love that joke.

Gerry
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2489 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
We've got a Belgian Shepherd mix (we think - he's a rescue) that weighs about 100 lbs on average. Which is good, because once someone gets past his size they realize he's a wimp.

For me I'm focusing on the shows that are coming up after the suspected quarantine period, and working on some online content in partnership with my usual venue. I also will be working on workshop notes and possibly some booklets to release.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't get how he weighs 100 pounds "on average "?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2489 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
It fluctuates sometimes. He's been as heavy as 117, but we've adjusted his diet and some meds which lets him get proper amounts of exercise so now it's usually around 100.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
My boxers, who usually comes out on the road with me, used to freak out when I was pulling the travel-trailer with the Silverado. The vest gave us some anxiety meds for her. But since I bought the motorhome, she isn't crazy anymore when we travel. She likes to lay on her bed, between the front seats.
CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Elite user
Curtis The Mentalist
479 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
Living life pretty much the way I normally do, actually, as a married man of 29 years and empty-nester for the last 9 years or so and without running out to gigs quite so regularly. Working on creative ways to stay "top-of-mind" with clients without irritating them. A lot of reading and writing, drinking coffee, wine, and whiskey, an occasional cigar, and a lot of thinking.

I also cook more than ever. Real food; not microwave junk.

Calling and contacting family and friends a bit more than usual.

I'm also trying to find things that keep me laughing as much as possible. Especially at myself.

Avoiding social media and TV news as much as possible.

Taking care of my wife as best I can, and watching the only dog we now own wither away (she's 14 years old and the vet bills just keep coming). We lost our other dog back at the end of January suddenly due to illness. She was 13.

Wishing I could spend more time with my 5-year-old grandson who lives several states away.

Trying not to take any of this too seriously, no matter how bad it gets. It's like a runaway train (that I'm powerless to stop) and will either run out of steam eventually or come crashing to a stop, whichever comes first. All I can do is my part to make the best of it for myself and everyone else right where I am and with the resources and gifts that I have.

That's what I'm doing.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9907 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I am actually about to get back to working on may 2/4 Wall course and extended coaching program, as well as working more on my huge advanced entertainment business success program. I have been working on these in chunks of time when I've been able to but I'm hoping to really dive into these over the next weeks/months. It will be good to finally put a dent in these.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2020, WitchDocChris wrote:
It fluctuates sometimes. He's been as heavy as 117, but we've adjusted his diet and some meds which lets him get proper amounts of exercise so now it's usually around 100.


I am happy you have him on a good stable diet. 20% body weight in flux is not healthy for a dog. Good for getting the meds for his exercise as well. Not easy to find the time to do that for the big guys!

Sorry. Enough dog talk. My bad.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1354 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2020, CurtWaltermire wrote:
Living life pretty much the way I normally do, actually, as a married man of 29 years and empty-nester for the last 9 years or so and without running out to gigs quite so regularly. Working on creative ways to stay "top-of-mind" with clients without irritating them. A lot of reading and writing, drinking coffee, wine, and whiskey, an occasional cigar, and a lot of thinking.

I also cook more than ever. Real food; not microwave junk.

Calling and contacting family and friends a bit more than usual.

I'm also trying to find things that keep me laughing as much as possible. Especially at myself.

Avoiding social media and TV news as much as possible.

Taking care of my wife as best I can, and watching the only dog we now own wither away (she's 14 years old and the vet bills just keep coming). We lost our other dog back at the end of January suddenly due to illness. She was 13.

Wishing I could spend more time with my 5-year-old grandson who lives several states away.

Trying not to take any of this too seriously, no matter how bad it gets. It's like a runaway train (that I'm powerless to stop) and will either run out of steam eventually or come crashing to a stop, whichever comes first. All I can do is my part to make the best of it for myself and everyone else right where I am and with the resources and gifts that I have.

That's what I'm doing.


Love all this so much.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2263 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2020, CurtWaltermire wrote:
Living life pretty much the way I normally do, actually, as a married man of 29 years and empty-nester for the last 9 years or so and without running out to gigs quite so regularly. Working on creative ways to stay "top-of-mind" with clients without irritating them. A lot of reading and writing, drinking coffee, wine, and whiskey, an occasional cigar, and a lot of thinking.

I also cook more than ever. Real food; not microwave junk.

Calling and contacting family and friends a bit more than usual.

I'm also trying to find things that keep me laughing as much as possible. Especially at myself.

Avoiding social media and TV news as much as possible.

Taking care of my wife as best I can, and watching the only dog we now own wither away (she's 14 years old and the vet bills just keep coming). We lost our other dog back at the end of January suddenly due to illness. She was 13.

Wishing I could spend more time with my 5-year-old grandson who lives several states away.

Trying not to take any of this too seriously, no matter how bad it gets. It's like a runaway train (that I'm powerless to stop) and will either run out of steam eventually or come crashing to a stop, whichever comes first. All I can do is my part to make the best of it for myself and everyone else right where I am and with the resources and gifts that I have.

That's what I'm doing.


This is so good and inspiring. I would only change your words slightly to fit my response, like delete the cigar and add more exercise.

I’m a “To-do list” person. My list is very long. In addition to many home improvement projects, my magic to-do list is very long also. This part of my life has not changed.

What has changed is for some reason I find myself eating more. Its relatively healthy food, but still, its more. I’m trying to add more exercise to counter it but I only have so much energy. Yesterday, not only did exercise for over an hour, I raked leaves for about 2 hours. Today there is 100% chance of rain all day so exercise will be limited.

The only other thing that has change is I am watching a little more TV (non-news). My mind set is that if I can stay vigilant on the progress on my to-do list I can reward myself with a glass of wine with my wife and movie.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Elite user
Curtis The Mentalist
479 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2020, Ken Northridge wrote: This is so good and inspiring. I would only change your words slightly to fit my response, like delete the cigar and add more exercise.


Believe it or not, Ken, in my pre-COVID-19 days I exercised regularly but I'm mostly a swimmer! Swim a one-mile workout 3-4 times a week and have for many years. My gym and pool are shut down, of course. That has set me back a bit so I'm resorting to talking walks for now and putting together another cardio routine. Running/jogging isn't an option for me due to an old injury.

Time to basically restructure our lives, or at least many aspects of it.

I like what Seth Godin shared on his blog today:

"IS EVERYTHING GOING TO BE OKAY?

That depends.

If we mean, “Is everything going to be the way it was and the way I expected it to be?” then the answer is no. The answer to that question is always no, it always has been.

If we mean, “Is everything going to be the way it is going to be?” then the answer is yes. Of course. If we define whatever happens as okay, then everything will be.

Given that everything is going to be the way it’s going to be, we’re left with an actually useful and productive question instead: “What are you going to do about it?”

Anyway, I digress...

Hope everyone is staying healthy and sane.

Time to get off my dupa and get some things done.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea the fact is that change is the only constant in the universe I can think of.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Working on refreshing the shows, practicing new effects, marketing and writing scripts for other performers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » What are you doing during this down time? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL