The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Caught by the fuzz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
waveman
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of waveman
Hey Mandrake,

Where were you performing? I live in RI, do you do the water fires?
nick nickolas
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
78 Posts

Profile of nick nickolas
San Francisco rail system is called the BART.
It is designed to transport passengers, not designed to be used as a performance venue as me and my juggling buddies Sean and Dave found out.

I must admit it was my idea to get off the cold streets and earn some cash playing the carriages I had done it in London. It took me a few days to convince my new friends but finally one cold morning we went underground.,,,,

Some people looked from behind their newspapers and others turned away, but on the whole most were happy to have there routine broken by a young English lad cracking jokes and escaping from a straightjacket. I certainly pulled a few laughs as we pulled into the next station maniacally staring at the newcomers twitching my canvas bonded body. A 3 stop show made $20 or so not bad.

Sean and Dave passed clubs and pulled in dollars and laughs. We’d done a couple of shows each and were feeling rather proud of ourselves when Sean and Dave jumped up for another hit of the wicket.

Full attention was gained and 6 pins were being tossed back and forth down the carriage, “ If one of these hits you watch out ‘cos there is 5 more behind it” Dave announced. A blue haired, handbag clutching, old lady stood up, threw a prunie scowl and walked into the next carriage. “We didn’t leave when you got here” the jugglers shouted.

Three minutes later a voice of base boomed throughout the whole train “The’ll be NO juggling in car 57, I repeat. They’ll be NO jugging on this train!!”

Oz had spoken !!
We were on our knees bowing to the voice.
The people laughed, the people paid.

Exiting the carriage discussing our performing future, maybe next busking on the greyhound, then aeroplanes and cruise ships ahhh cruise ships. we were flanked by two cops and two train security. Then taken aside into a room and talked to.
They were not happy at all but couldn’t do anything as there were no rules about busking on the trains, but unfortunately now there is and what a shame.....
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
I've had problems. In spite of the fact that the city attorneys have REPEATEDLY declared that busking is free speech, certain members of the LAPD are on a crusade to shut us down. Remember, these are the people who brought you Rodney king and Rampart. (I actually live in the Rampart division.)

I've been ticketed, been to court, had the ticket thrown out. The local fuzz now know that I'm a guy who can't be intimidated, and they leave me alone. THIS IS THE DRILL. Stand your ground, be polite but firm and say the magic words, "Goldstein vs. Nantucket.

Keep the faith.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-07-05 21:16, waveman wrote:
Hey Mandrake,

Where were you performing? I live in RI, do you do the water fires?

Dude! I was performing in Times Square YEARS and YEARS ago. I currently live in Providence and no, I don't do waterfires. (I don't actually do much of anything at the moment. I seem to be having a problem scheduling practice and rehersal time so my stuff just isn't ready.) I'd like to do a waterfire though, do you know if you need a permit or not? (I keep meaning to go to city hall and ask, but I haven't gotten around to THAT either!)
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I agree, we shouldn't back down. Us magicians have been tortured, executed, and even burned at the stake ... freaks with guns and badges will not put an end to magic either!

But please, educate yourself! If your in a hostile area, talk with a lawyer first ... know the city's laws - not just busking laws, but all of them. Don't verbally accost persons trying to get them to tip. Don't block roads/businesses with your crowds and stuff like that. Use common sense. And again, (can't stress this enough), educate yourself!!! Don't be the idiot that gets Goldstien vs. Nantucket overturned because you think it's legal to juggle six flaming clubs on a unicycle on a 4 foot sidewalk with a rabbit balanced on your chin!

These links provide a lot of info:

http://communityartsadvocates.org/
http://www.balloonhq.com/faq/twister_busking.html
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
waveman
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of waveman
I think there's a couple people doing water fires. There's a Paw Sox Fan night comming up too.

With the state RI is in, I'm sure you need permits out the wazoo.

And leave the pyro effects at home too.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-07-06 20:57, waveman wrote:
I think there's a couple people doing water fires. There's a Paw Sox Fan night comming up too.

With the state RI is in, I'm sure you need permits out the wazoo.

And leave the pyro effects at home too.

Oh yeah, no pyro for me. I always think of Gene Simmons who learned under a professional fire eater, and still managed to set himself on fire five times! No way am I messing with that stuff!
Ain't life unkind?"
Devoted
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
16 Posts

Profile of Devoted
I was putting together a video for promotion a couple months ago so we were doing some of our best effect out there. We stoped into a local coffee shop saw some old friends and decided to do Voodoo Needle. My partner started doing "pushing" the needle through his arm. Fake blood everywhere the camera guy was wincing it was marvalous.

10 minuets later, this officer walks in so we go out side. We explain the trick in it's entirety. ( I know exposer, but it was looking like that or jail so ...) They both start laughing we showed them a quick couple of tricks. Joked with them and finally got them to be filmed by with us doing magic. I swear it wasn't the best lighting for the filming but it was well worth it.
Looked up, there it was, gone
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
Well said Joe joe! I'd add to that: be a good citizen. Never ever leave litter in your pitch, try to leave it cleaner than you found it. Be nice to the local businessmen, don't interefere with their flow of business...these are the guys that can draw heat to you.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2120 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Quote:
I did get a bit of hassle from some well-dressed, younger folks who felt as if they needed to talk loudly about “beggars” as they passed by!

Believe it or not, I've had the 'beggar angle' rebound nicely in my favor! Check out my post in street magic!

And as for me, I've had a run-in with the constabulary in Germany, but the cops in Amsterdam are unbelievably laid-back. As for the cops here, by all means, take it to court if you can, but remember, when on-the-spot with the brave boys in blue, be HUMBLE...be RESPECTFUL...they feel all big & invincible on the street where it's simply "I have a gun & a badge and you don't", which makes it very satisfying to watch them stripped of their power in a courtroom, and see how they fume when they lose. (It was a traffic ticket I beat him on....but I'm sure the satisfaction would be the same in a busking case)
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-07-05 22:33, nick nickolas wrote:

San Francisco rail system is called the BART.
It is designed to transport passengers, not designed to be used as a performance venue as me and my juggling buddies Sean and Dave found out.

I remember a steel drum player on a subway train in NYC. Talk about feeling trapped!
Ain't life unkind?"
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Are there any UK people here who can tell me the law and rules for street performing in Britain? I want to start but I need to know the law.

Matt
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
From what I UNDERSTAND and you will want to double check this, busking is illegal everywhere in Britain, except for Covent Garden. However, the law is not well enforced and people ignore it all the time.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Zack that is not true, most places you can busk in the UK. Except private property and Covent Garden is private on private property you need to gain permission if you can.
Matt the best advice I can give you is suck and see. If you are told you need permission just say sorry and get it. It is normally the local council that may get on your case as oppose to the Police and you wont get arrested unless you are really daft. I add it is really rare where you get hassle I have had no hassle for years.
Leagarly you can be asked to move on and that's it.
Some towns/city’s may have a policy towards buskers that you will discover when you start busking there. Most cities like buskers as it improves tourists and so on.
There are the odd place where there is an exception to this role, London is well controled in the tourist places (where the money is). South Bank near the big eye is not bad. Covent Garden is by audition which is held the last Monday of the month I think I remember right between 9.30am and 10.30am.
Mario
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Here is some advice from a cop in Georgia. Regarding the Three Card Monte, it is a known con game. However, for you to be arrested for it, the cop has to show "CRIMINAL INTENT" on your part. They must have Probable Cause to arrest you. Without it, there is no case. Any cop worth his salt will step back, observe and then make a determination if a crime is being committed. I am saddened to hear about the bullies in blue in your areas. I agree that you should check the local laws and ordinances of the venue you will perform. Each municipality is different. I have, on occasions, spoken with fellow law enforcement officers about issues such as this to enlighten them. Since I am only versed in Georgia law, I cannot speak for other states. If you have any questions regarding this, please email me at ghester144@yahoo.com and I will try to answer your question. If it needs research, I will let you know and get back with an answer asap.
Glenn
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2004-10-19 03:42, Police Magician wrote:
Here is some advice from a cop in Georgia...

Nice to have a man on the inside! Thanks for the broadcast advice and your willingness to assist.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
No problem. Being a cop and a conjurer, I have insight that many cops do not. Some are eager to make an arrest yet look like idiots in court when they cannot prove "intent". Just to let you know, we have had a rash of three card monte teams in our area at the rest area and truck stops. They are not magicians, just criminals. A new twist with some is having the victim lose their watches. If I can be of help, let me know.

Glenn
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1647 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
I was intrigued by the title of this thread.

"Have you ever been picked up by the fuzz?"

"No"
, she replied, "but I bet it don't half hurt!"

(With apologies to the Moderators - but I couldn't resist it)

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
In New York City, in 1969, I worked a spot on 8th Street near 6th Avenue. It was a jewelry store that was closed in the evenings, and had a nice windowed entryway that made a perfect stage.

I would draw a crowd and perform with a shill in the back--a ten year old kid named Angel--who would watch out for the cops. If he signaled me, I would put the cards in my pocket and turn around and become part of the crowd. Everyone thought it was very funny when the cops couldn't figure out what was going on. One day, Angel took off to get an Orange Julius without telling me.

I turned to have a card chosen, and there in the front of the crowd smiling at me was one of New York's finest. He said, "Let's take a walk, kid." We went up the block, and he led me into a coffee shop. Another cop was at the counter having coffee. The officer with me said, "Hey, Charlie, look who I got! This is the kid that has been drawing that crowd on 8th Street."

"Yeah? What was he doing?"

"Card tricks. Show Charlie a trick, kid."

I did some magic for the two of them, and they loved it. Finally, they both tipped me a couple of bucks. They told me not to come back there anymore, but gave me instructions on where to go a few blocks away that would be just as good. They said it would drive the guys in the other precinct crazy, and when I got caught, I was to tell them that Charlie and Jack from the __nd precinct had sent me.

In London, in 1973, I was stopped from performing in Hyde Park by a constable. He politely informed me that only speakers were allowed, and that performing for money in the park was an "Offense to the Queen."

I told him that I didn't see how it could be an offense to the Queen if she hadn't seen my act, and he told me again firmly to leave. Later, Ken Brooke told me that the only way to get by on the London streets as a busker was to be a disabled vet. I found an Irishman, a disabled veteran, who had a one man band. His name was Johnny Magoo, and he and I teamed up together successfully for a while.

We worked the Derby (made great money) and various streets in London. He would draw a crowd with his music, and then introduce me and I would do magic. I pretended to be his son, and we never had any trouble with the police.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I have learned a lot from reading this thread. Mainly that one must be very careful and educate themselves in this performance venue.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Caught by the fuzz (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL