The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What have you improved on during the pandemic? (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I have improved my guitar playing during the pandemic. Seeing as I can't work except on skype and that's not my thing I've had a lot of time to screw around.

So I've been playing along with youtube vids and backing tracks really improving my soloing.

What have you worked on during the stay at home pandemic?
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
I've spent far more quality time with my phone. (Kidding. Although I'm on it way too much. Side note: I'm also afraid my Samsung will have a certain green color permanently image-burned into the screen soon.)

I'm finally, finally going through the tricks I have but haven't used or explored to create more story and effect for them. Trying to give my magic more meaning and context so I can develop them to use. It's kinda fun, I already have so much, including a million effects in Drew B.'s book I keep meaning to study further. So I'm really hoping to improve effects I already know, and take a look at ones I haven't.

And yet...I still find myself clicking "add to cart" on things from boredorm, but eventually my card will be declined and then I can relax. Until I hear my wife yell from downstairs. ("Um, Nathan?? What have you been doing on that computer upstairs?! Come down here right now!")
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I bought my first iPad, ipencil and smart keyboard...

So been making some music, learning the harmonica some more and getting to grips with the Procreate app...

And used VideoGuru app on my phone which is fun...here's a track. It's all me playing real instruments apart from the drums which are programmed 👍🙈
https://youtu.be/BE9W48Bra7U

Yeah the video is basic 😜

And a time lapse of me practicing on Procreate
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-IYOtYHTg8/?igshid=lvdjuh5z6a3v
I've asked to be banned
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
I'm 'socially-isolated' here in upstate NY, trying to homeschool my boy/girl 10 yr. old twins....

Sooooo....yeahhhh.....there's that...

(And GUESS WHAT, "Mr. Common Core Math?"...they are going to learn to carry the *** 1!...🤣🤣🤣)

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I am supposed to be finishing my last 3 classes to get my degree. Instead, I’ve been trying to entertain my 7 year old. Online school starts in two days.

For personal distraction, I’ve been working on a batch of knives. I’m a hobby bladesmith and I’m having fun with a dozen brut de forge blades. Should be ready to do the glue-up tomorrow or Monday. By the end of the week I’ll have a dozen knives I don’t have a use for.

I want to spend more time on music. Before going back to school I was a pretty decent bagpiper. But I’ve sorely neglected those skills.

Once my homework is caught up, I plan to actually work on some magic skills I never developed to my satisfaction.

Should be plenty of time to work on that kind of thing.

Patrick
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2020, IAIN wrote:
I bought my first iPad, ipencil and smart keyboard...

So been making some music, learning the harmonica some more and getting to grips with the Procreate app...

And used VideoGuru app on my phone which is fun...here's a track. It's all me playing real instruments apart from the drums which are programmed 👍🙈
https://youtu.be/BE9W48Bra7U

Yeah the video is basic 😜

I love it. You did that on the phone? Nice bass lines.

The apple pencil and ipad is the closethinging to paper ever.

good job.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Hey...

No, I played all the instruments myself, straight into the iPad, using the Garageband app 😁

I did the video on my phone 👍

Thanks John!
I've asked to be banned
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I've been working on completing the final chapters of the first draft of my "trunk novel."

And playing way too much video games.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've started Skyrim again...

...again.
I've asked to be banned
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Ok ok since you asked. Here's something I recorded with a clapton backing track. I'm playing rhythm and then lead,

Focusing more on lead to me is the same reason I don't use mem or sta@@ed decks. Playing lead I can go wherever I want and no one has to follow me. Playing rhythm I better get it all right or he band's screwed.

I don't play in a band anyway, not now, I just play by myself...oh, and with clapton, david bowie, lynard skynard, bb king, and other backing tracks.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgJMXDImfNkbgr4mQqWthJBs22568g?e=ZN8ieb
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2020, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
I've been working on completing the final chapters of the first draft of my "trunk novel."

And playing way too much video games.

trunk novel?

I suppose gamers can never play enough.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2020, Nathan Alexander wrote:
I've spent far more quality time with my phone. (Kidding. Although I'm on it way too much. Side note: I'm also afraid my Samsung will have a certain green color permanently image-burned into the screen soon.)

I'm finally, finally going through the tricks I have but haven't used or explored to create more story and effect for them. Trying to give my magic more meaning and context so I can develop them to use. It's kinda fun, I already have so much, including a million effects in Drew B.'s book I keep meaning to study further. So I'm really hoping to improve effects I already know, and take a look at ones I haven't.

And yet...I still find myself clicking "add to cart" on things from boredorm, but eventually my card will be declined and then I can relax. Until I hear my wife yell from downstairs. ("Um, Nathan?? What have you been doing on that computer upstairs?! Come down here right now!")

ditto on the add to cart. haha

I have an impulse amount around 9.95 lately gone up to $19.95 and usually only downloads. If I'm bored I don't like to wait. haha
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2020, mindhunter wrote:
I'm 'socially-isolated' here in upstate NY, trying to homeschool my boy/girl 10 yr. old twins....

Sooooo....yeahhhh.....there's that...

(And GUESS WHAT, "Mr. Common Core Math?"...they are going to learn to carry the *** 1!...🤣🤣🤣)

Bryn

Hey don't think because they are young you have challenges. Mine are home and they are 20, 22 and 24. Their college closed their jobs closed. Now they are here.

But remember gents when you work from home you put a sign on your door, DO NOT BOTHER. DO NOT KNOCK!!

You are not there to take out the trash or mend the fences. I've been working for myself since 1981. It's the way it is if you want to be successful!!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2020, John C wrote:
Ok ok since you asked. Here's something I recorded with a clapton backing track. I'm playing rhythm and then lead,

Focusing more on lead to me is the same reason I don't use mem or sta@@ed decks. Playing lead I can go wherever I want and no one has to follow me. Playing rhythm I better get it all right or he band's screwed.

I don't play in a band anyway, not now, I just play by myself...oh, and with clapton, david bowie, lynard skynard, bb king, and other backing tracks.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgJMXDImfNkbgr4mQqWthJBs22568g?e=ZN8ieb

Keep at it! I remember getting a Hendrix songbook from the library years ago, seeing the scales laid out on paper really helped me to just see it all as patterns...

This one is a bit of a mess, but fun playing a little Yamaha keyboard with all the older Hammond organ sounds in it...all me, probably shows, apart from the drums again...

https://youtu.be/Z-wLFU8OL2E
I've asked to be banned
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of ed wood
I'm growing a beard....there's an alarming amount of grey in it!
Being a bit of an introverted hermit my life hasn't changed dramatically. The only difference is that 2 or 3 times a week I don't go out, perform a show and pretend I enjoy the company of others. Oh, and doing my accounts each week is much easier. Nothing in, nothing out....that saves a job I've never enjoyed.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
Home schooling my grand son, practicing various tricks and techniques and trying my hand at making some gimmicks and gaffes.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
1. Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4
2. Tabletopia website to play board games with friends + Facetime
3. Dominion online + Facetime
4. Doing lots of odd jobs around the house, been a lot of shelves going up
5. Working on a cover version of something in the studio (secret)
6. Occasional World Of Warcraft
7. GoT (again)
8. Better Call Saul
9. Ozark
10. Sleeping
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Oh, so to answer the original question, sweet F A actually
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Horizon Zero Dawn is amazing!
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2020, IAIN wrote:

Great picture, but never mind all that, where the hell do I score some dark chocolate Tunnocks??

If you ever cold read for a mentalist mention playing an instrument, its mad the number that do!

I’ve been working on some Chopin and Bach, i’m just glad I had the piano tuned before all this hit or it would have been torture!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What have you improved on during the pandemic? (19 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL