The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Haback, Flushtration, Hindu problem (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rumblepuddy
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of rumblepuddy
I've been working on "Quite Contrary" from Phil Goldstein's column in The Linking Ring, which starts with a Haback count. However, I've realized that the Haback and Flushtration counts have an issue that I've also had with a classic Hindu force: a spectator who's even halfway paying attention will see that they're being shown the same side of one card repeatedly (or shown a card that never moved, in the case of the Hindu force). I have not yet performed the new trick, but have been called out on a Hindu force.

Is this just a cross-your-fingers element of the moves? Or is there a patter or method of handling that distracts from this?
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
I think one of the challenges we have as magicians is, that one we learn a move, we think to ourselves ‘Geez, this is a simple move, it’s not going to fool anybody”

Before I learned the FC, I saw more than a few routines that I had no idea how they were done. Now I can spot an FC a mile away.

If you perform mostly for laymen, you should be fine. If you perform mostly for other magicians, then you’re right you won’t fool anybody with these moves.
Gennovense
View Profile
New user
Santiago
52 Posts

Profile of Gennovense
I spent countless hours practicing two different counts that would accomplish what the FC does, Orion Count and Rumba Count. At the end I realized that the best way to go is an alternative handling to the FC, the one that Tommy Wonder does is cool, there are many handlings on that particular count. I tend to avoid the two other counts since the first one is weird, I can't see even a "classic" magician doing that but I can't deny the fact that it works. For the second one, a creation of Jean Pierre Vallerino, cards won't square always, is not that practical in my opinion. You may give it a try to the Kiss count by Boris Wild but it is a hard one

At the end, if you keep performing the original FC try to avoid the focus on it. That's the key.
Wez_Evans
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, UK
21 Posts

Profile of Wez_Evans
The kiss count is a good recommendation, and can be found on his penguin live lecture along with some other great stuff.

As others have said, I think this is maybe a case of magicians guilt. I've never been questioned on the FC, and have used it repeatedly in a variety of Monte style presentations
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Haback, Flushtration, Hindu problem (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL