The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » New Carpenter Coins (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
The One Jack Show me in 2016 Had the shell ! Now I think it is Badly Worded I think it said it had a shell with it !
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2020, David Neighbors wrote:
The One Jack Show me in 2016 Had the shell ! Now I think it is Badly Worded I think it said it had a shell with it !

Agreed.

The ad copy should probably be clearer so people (who own a stock CSB) don't assume they already own this particular set.

Per the instructional video (I'm waiting for the actual coins to ship) the gaff for Jack's set being sold by Vanishing Inc. does come with the two nesting shells (vs. the single shell in the standard CSB). So clearly (as with Cerebus) this new set is an enhancement to a standard CSB set.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Mine is ordered, AFTER using the online chat on the VI website and confirming that it is NOT a "standard" C/S/B set but it does have the extra gaff that the Lassen / Carpenter "linear invention" (but was also told it pre-dates both of them) <- only repeating what I was told by them (but I forget who they said used a similar gaff this way first)

Anyway, feel free and safe to grab it if you like the effect and don't want another standard C/S/B set. This has the extra turtle.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
hayabusafan
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of hayabusafan
Is the extra turtle in this set expanded?
frankw
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of frankw
How good is the quality of the coins or the gimmick? I‘m looking for a set for Catch up from Karl Hein. Thanks for the help!
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
I really like this set. Very glad that I picked it up and really look forward to learning Jack's routine. Last image is a bit blown out (accidentally used flash).

David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Ok so A ungaffed Half And An ungaffed Odd coin And you have all the stuff you need to do the the stuff On My video ! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2020, David Neighbors wrote:
Ok so A ungaffed Half And An ungaffed Odd coin And you have all the stuff you need to do the the stuff On My video ! Smile

I only had to add one coin (in my top photo)which was an ungaffed half dollar (lower left corner). Everything else comes with the trick (two shells, double sided coin, plus two ungaffed coins). So all in all, a really great deal (for me at least).

There was some talk from other owners (in another thread) that the main gaff (when fully nested) looked too bulky. With my set (as can be seen from the photos) that is certainly not the case. Perhaps I lucked out, I don't know.
frankw
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of frankw
Many thanks! I will order the set here in europe.
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2020, hayabusafan wrote:
Is the extra turtle in this set expanded?
Yes, and mine seems to work well over a normal Kennedy half.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

I Was talking About doing Matrix Stuff ! ( IE the stuff from my Video! ) And for that you will need 4 coins ! So you will need that ungaffed Half And a ungaffed Odd Coin !(Not the Routine that comes With It ! )
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, David Neighbors wrote:
I Was talking About doing Matrix Stuff ! ( IE the stuff from my Video! ) And for that you will need 4 coins ! So you will need that ungaffed Half And a ungaffed Odd Coin !(Not the Routine that comes With It ! )

Got it! For Matrix, that makes sense.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Got my set and love it
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, Chris Aguilar wrote:
I only had to add one coin (in my top photo)which was an ungaffed half dollar (lower left corner). Everything else comes with the trick (two shells, double sided coin, plus two ungaffed coins). So all in all, a really great deal (for me at least).

There was some talk from other owners (in another thread) that the main gaff (when fully nested) looked too bulky. With my set (as can be seen from the photos) that is certainly not the case. Perhaps I lucked out, I don't know.

The one in the demo looked quite "chunky". Yours looks much better. Quite good for the price point.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
The height is the same as my Johnson set with a (Johnson) shell on top...there's really no difference at all. I posted my set for sale because I already have the equivalent in multiple sets. But to be frank, the height discussion is a non-issue. If you hold the coins in the palm of your hand while you're introduce them (instead of placing them on a mat) there is absolutely no tell-tale signs...Your flesh provides excellent cover.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Hi Gang,
I have 2 DVD'S Left if anyone Wants One ? P.M. Me.
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
I'll be real here: The set is useful and a fooler for lay audiences. The set is horribly made and if you are used to anything including or above Johnson or Tango coins, you'll be shocked. As stated earlier the short shell edge on the half is a deal killer for craftsmanship. This is NOT a Todd Lassen coin set. That said, you can do miracles with it but it just isn't clean like good sets are. The tolerance are sloppy, loose and the "big nested set" has to be thoughtfully handled and "coddled" in the hand to not reveal the gaffus. A shame. Could be made better. Why not? They probably combined existing items into this set rather than building them for this effect. It is a fair price for a useful item that is poorly crafted but will fool laymen. Here's the real issue. When we work we want to be internally confident. EVEN if it doesn't matter and won't be seen, a dirty gaff is a soul killer and does affect our confidence in presentation. So - I'd rather pay $400 to Lassen or $150 to Tango for something like this. At $75 it's fair but you'll not feet like a King of Magic working this set. Sorry for being blunt. Hope this fairly frames it for those thinking about getting a set.
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2020, StarManager wrote:
I'll be real here: The set is useful and a fooler for lay audiences. The set is horribly made and if you are used to anything including or above Johnson or Tango coins, you'll be shocked. As stated earlier the short shell edge on the half is a deal killer for craftsmanship. This is NOT a Todd Lassen coin set. That said, you can do miracles with it but it just isn't clean like good sets are. The tolerance are sloppy, loose and the "big nested set" has to be thoughtfully handled and "coddled" in the hand to not reveal the gaffus. A shame. Could be made better. Why not? They probably combined existing items into this set rather than building them for this effect. It is a fair price for a useful item that is poorly crafted but will fool laymen. Here's the real issue. When we work we want to be internally confident. EVEN if it doesn't matter and won't be seen, a dirty gaff is a soul killer and does affect our confidence in presentation. So - I'd rather pay $400 to Lassen or $150 to Tango for something like this. At $75 it's fair but you'll not feet like a King of Magic working this set. Sorry for being blunt. Hope this fairly frames it for those thinking about getting a set.

I responded to this elitist nonsense here (i.e. My set is certainly no "Horribly Made", the photos kind of speak for themselves.):

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......art=40#6
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Does anyone own a JB Magic Kennedy or WL “deep dish” shell (shell shocked set) AND a Johnson CSB? If so, Please email pictures of the fit and coverage.

BTW: I think the Carpenter set has a shallow shell to facilitate some of the “One-Handed manipulation”. Probably tutorial even mentions it I’ll bet.
Thank you.
Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2020, inigmntoya wrote:
The routine also looks like it *ahem* "borrows" from a key part of Pop Haydn's Intricate Web of Distraction - the whole holding the wrist, can't do that, would be a real miracle... then later does it.....

Update: Full credit is given to Haydn in the tutuorial.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » New Carpenter Coins (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL