The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » I want to manipulate (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
You could also manipulate matches,
??
What do you think?
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2321 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Thanks for the ideas Mumblepeas. I do have a small bic Lighter. I have been playing around with basic cigeratte sleights. Most from bill tarrs "Now you see it" book. I dont have any other reference right now. I wish I could see a video of Slydini's manipulations.

Kev, I do think that it would be cool manipulate matches.
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
a nice routine would be manipulating lit matches, then proceed to light a cigarette or cigar then manipulate that.....
Smile
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2321 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I'd end up burning something down with lit matches. Best for me to just use a lighter. Smile
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
Good point,
Matches are considerably more dangerous than lighters mainly because a lighter is under your control, if dropped, the flame will automatically go out as you aren't pressing the gas button down,
Smile
'Everybody Dance now' Smile

<< Smile >>
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Im back can you tell me where i can learn cigertte and wand manipultaion?

wikiro Smile
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Tom Mullica has a three videotape series on cigarette magic. There is just about everything you want to know about cigarette manipulation covered. The Keith Clark “Encyclopedia of Cigarette Magic” is still in print and can be hound through most major magic dealers (maybe Hank Lee). Plus, there are literally hundreds of videos of various close-up magicians that include a cigarette manipulation or trick or two on them.

I still don’t know what you mean by wand manipulation. Starting with a one wand and magically splitting them into two (or more) then causing one to dance or float or balance at your fingertip? Nesting wands do the job fine for the splitting effect.

Several magicians have included their handling of the “Flip” stick (named after Flip the magician). Cellini’ street magic lecture video (not the new one the older British tape) has a nice routine. John George has a very nice flip stick routine on his “Close-up Magic volume I” video.

A search of what is available on the major magic sites should result in dozens of good leads for you.

Good luck.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Where can I learn about the wand?

Wikiro Smile

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Wikiro,

I have given you several references for magic wand “manipulation” in my posts above. There is no one reference that is just a book or tape encyclopedia of magic wand magic that I know of. The stuff is spread through literally hundreds of references. I gave you a start. In fact I gave you more than you will ever need to build a good, strong, wand manipulation routine.

Now find the references, read/watch them, write your routine, practice it, rehearse it, and perform it!

Perhaps, you will be the person that collects all the wand tricks available and put out an encyclopedia of wand magic! Go for it!
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
Smile

Why don't we ask Kevin James to bring out an Encyclopedia of Wand spinning,
He has done about everything else!
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Hehe thats kind of funny the magicians trade mark doesn't even have its own book. That makes me sad. Smile

Wikiro Smile

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Stephen Barney
Mumblepeas is right, the search through all that litterature makes the journey worthwhile you will appreciate the magic you create more if you have to work to get it there in the first place.

I like the challeng go on go out there research and write the encyclopedia of wand magic Smile Smile Smile Smile
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Do you have any tips on origami or small objects other than coins or cigerettes?

Wikiro Smile

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Wiriko, I honestly don’t know what you are looking for! This thread is full of resources about manipulating various objects! None of it is easy or automatic. Friend, there are about a dozen (or less) sleights and moves that are fairly universal to all objects. It simply does not matter what the object is, if you know some basic sleights you will be able to develop a manipulation routine with almost any object.

Most card manipulation slights can be used for bills, credit cards, origami, bits of paper, to some extent coins, CD’s and so on. Most cigarette sleights can be used for crayons, pencils, pens, candy, BIC lighters, sunglases, Q-tips, and to some extent coins. Most Ball slights can be used for, coins, thimbles, pipes, and on and on and on…

Do you get the idea?

At some point you have to commit yourself to study and practice. Go buy Henry Hay’s “The Magician’s Handbook”. It has almost everything you will ever want to know about this kind of magic. It is your starting point, but you have to start somewhere.

Go for it!
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
I am trying to start, but my money is SOOOOO limited. I can't buy anything unless I'm so sure it is worth the buy.

So far, I got Bobo's coin book, lots of Jean Hugard and Fredrick Braue books, Mark Wilson's Magic cyclopedia: A Complete Course (small version, not a good buy I might add), and Jeff McBride's "The Art of Card Manipulation" series.

I need to get out of cards and coins. I'm making a wand because I have all I need at home (but I need some ideas on the wood I should use, like if cherry is good or something like that) so I want some good wand books.

Also I am ok at origami and I love the art, so I want to put magic into it. I would also like to just take any item and do with it whatever I want, but right now I like wands and origami. This is what I'm searching for.

Sorry also for getting annoying on this thread I tend to do that. Smile

Wikiro Smile

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I have seen some wonderful resources on manipulation, but it seems the best artists aren't even amongst us magicians. Looks like nobody can manipulate books better than CEOs!! Smile
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi all

I started my performing career as a juggler and therefore manipulate a lot of different things. Those that apply to magic most closely though are...

Crystal balls (As in the film Labyrinth)
Staffs/poles
Hats
Chairs
Hatstands
Other items of furniture

It is only since joining this board that I realised how much this kind of stuff relates to magic. I had only thought of it it terms of circus, physical/silent comedy, and juggling.

BTW. Jugglers refer to object manipulation as 'contact juggling'. Just thought that might interest you.. and if it doesn't...well...it's too late now!

Have fun

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
I just went on vacation and I got $52 to spend. For wand manipulation what would be best Kidbiz by David Ginn or Fantasio - My Canes and Candles, but I also heard these are on gimmicked wands so I might not get either of them. I also heard I should get Worldclass Manipulations by Jeff McBride but I heard it has faults. Expert Coin
Magic Made Easy by David Roth sounds good also, but I cant get them all in a day which stinks. I was also thinking about Dai Vernon books or tapes, but I was wondering was he a manipulator or a sleight of hand magician? Personally either way I wouldnt care I think his stuff sound interesting.
I would be thankful for all of your opinions on what to buy.

Wikiro Smile

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
I think Nike says it best "Just do it!"

It seems to me from reading your posts that you have a hard time focusing. I guess everyone has to dabble before they find something that they love (and mind you most magicians can do a little bit of everything). The items you mentioned there are all different. World Class manipulation by McB is manipulation of coins, balls and thimbles. David Roth's Expert Coin Magic is more like "tricks" he is an excellent teacher and his set of videos is widely (though I'm sure not universally) regarded as the best start for coin magic. Another interesting video that I am looking at getting is Micheal Ammars intro to coin magic as it is one video/DVD that covers a lot of stuff.

Anyway. Dai Vernon was definitely not a manipulator, his thing was to create the most effect with the simplest techniques. Again, he is a highly regarded magician. Personally I am not much for Vernon's stuff but like I said earlier everyone has their own loves. I don't know what book or video you were considering but this would probably be card magic.

Finally, everything has it's faults. I've heard criticism for everything you mentioned and I doubt that there is anything (except maybe royal road to card magic Smile ) that doesn't have people for and against it. Just pick one and check it out, they are all good picks.

Ok I lied, you mentioned being strapped for cash. I thought I'd point out that you have more magic material than I do! Smile

-Dan
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Fantasio - My Canes and Candles
Is this book only on how to opperate the vanishing wand or does it talk about how to make one? or does it talk about how to vanish a wand with out gimmicks?

Wikiro
Smile

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » I want to manipulate (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL