The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Drills for intermediate-advanced mem deck training? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MC Mirak
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MC Mirak
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2020, RobertApodaca wrote:
There's a Stackview tool you can use in the browser for Aronson stack.

Years ago, someone on this site shared a link to a small piece of software that had the most popular mem stacks available to choose and you could quick yourself in variety of manners.

Does anyone remember this program? This was about 10 years ago. It was called "Stack " something.

Stack Master? or this? https://web.archive.org/web/201304290440......ebs.com/
TerrorInt
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TerrorInt
I have Memdeck Pro on my phone, and have mentioned it a few times here in the forums. I use it for testing myself, and also used it for memorizing Mnemonica. I use Derren Brown's card memory technique, btw.

My go-to exercise with a deck in hand is this: I randomly cut/finish the deck, practice a peek or glance of the bottom, and then rapidly as I can, determine what the top card is. This exercises my ability to rapidly translate card->number and number->card, with a mental number increment in between. Each of those motions and the mental gymnastics are used in so many memdeck tricks that I decided to narrow in and use it as a practice manouvre. And I do this fairly often even though I'm proficient at it - because I want to stay that way. It's more fun than a fidget spinner. And if someone asks me what I'm doing, I don't even have to segway in order to blow their mind.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
I like holding the cards face up and dealing them into two Pile's as fast as I can. First pile are cards 1-26 and the second pile 27-52. When you can deal the cards without hesitation and without making mistakes, your going in the right direction. Then you can practice culling the first 26 cards while fanning through them in your hands.

Dealing the cards into 4 piles is a little more difficult. First 13 of the stack, followed by next 13, etc.

Also Pit Hartling explores the idea of knowing how many cards are in between each quad set of cards. Very cool idea and he uses it to great effect. I first saw the idea used by Denis Behr.
ltrblst
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
I'm using Memdeck Pro on my Android phone, in which I saved and exported a few decks (like Si Stebbins SHoCkeD 4 apart and Shadow Sequeira Stack).

On my PC I use StackView especially for the ability to shuffle, cut, faro, etc...

On the go I use

- https://web.archive.org/web/201304290440......ebs.com/
You can save an offline webpage while it's still available.

- https://natedog.com/cards/faro.html
great for shuffling, cutting, faro, etc...
Madman13
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Madman13
I like to mix a deck and arrange it in order.After that I deal the cards face down in four piles separating the suits after which I mix them up again and arrange them in reverse with face down cards placed over each other in stack.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I just googled the Trustman Loci system -
https://artofmemory.com/wiki/Method_of_Loci

It says you go on a "mental journey" and associate objects you want to remember, with locations along your route. EG you would visualise corn (first item on your shopping list) with your bedroom (first location on your journey).
I can see how this might be useful for some purposes - but lousy for linking cards to numbers. Presumably you would need to link a card AND number to each room. But how? What makes each number (or card) special and distinct from all the others?
Or maybe you have to remember that the basement closet is the 37th location - but how???

No wonder the OP was taking 20 seconds per card after several months learning (!) You need to choose the right tool for the job. Harry Lorayne has done great work on this. (And I think he has a right to blow his own trumpet).
Personally I learnt Martin Joyal's 6 Hour Memorised Deck.
Whatever method you choose, do your research first!
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
After a few months, you just know which card is at which number & vice versa (assuming you start with a decent system).

Here are a few things I do now -

Watching ANY card trick, whenever a card is selected I mentally say to myself its position in my stack.

Shuffling the cards then re-arranging into stack order (or reverse stack order).
Usually I sort into several piles first: 0-9, teens, twenties, thirties, forties, fifties

Shuffling then sorting into odd/even stack numbers.

Shuffling then sorting into high/low

Taking a stacked deck face DOWN, and dealing the cards into 4 piles of each of the suits.
Haven't tried this yet - but you could then arrange each of the 4 piles into A-K order.
Michael L
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Michael L
I work it into everything else I do besides just doing stack work, but some of the drills mentioned above are fantastic ideas I will be using Smile
For example, If I'm working on shuffles or cuts or routines, I'll peek a card. Then I name the position of the card in Mnemonica, the cards before and after, and do the same for Aronson. It doesn't even have to be card work, so long as you have a deck on you (in the car, while cooking...)
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2020, Nikodemus wrote:
I just googled the Trustman Loci system -
https://artofmemory.com/wiki/Method_of_Loci

It says you go on a "mental journey" and associate objects you want to remember, with locations along your route. EG you would visualise corn (first item on your shopping list) with your bedroom (first location on your journey).
I can see how this might be useful for some purposes - but lousy for linking cards to numbers. Presumably you would need to link a card AND number to each room. But how? What makes each number (or card) special and distinct from all the others?
Or maybe you have to remember that the basement closet is the 37th location - but how???

No wonder the OP was taking 20 seconds per card after several months learning (!) You need to choose the right tool for the job. Harry Lorayne has done great work on this. (And I think he has a right to blow his own trumpet).
Personally I learnt Martin Joyal's 6 Hour Memorised Deck.
Whatever method you choose, do your research first!

I learned using Juan's technique in Mnemonica and it took me a while, but worth the time. I wish I had known Sarah's Trustman method earlier, it works. It's easier than what you explain above, the path is drawn for you, for instance 19 is a desert island, it all makes sense when you learn the path. And each location is divided in sections, that added to a peg system, when you see a shrew (I prefer shoe) on the top right corner of the desert island you know it is the 2 of diamonds on the 19th position. Once you learn the method and practice the method, it's easy to memorize a stack.

Actually, Sarah Trustman is doing a Master Class on the Amamzing Memory Test in less than two weeks if you are interested: https://www.trustmancreations.com/produc......r-class/

The class is limited to 10 people. I registered for it already Smile I've been teaching her techniques to my 11 year old, and he is having fun with it. We have a game we play to challenge each other and see who fails first, building up to a list of 50 random items.
MC Mirak
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MC Mirak
While I really liked the Trustman book (especially the memorization of 2 stacks at the same time), I think the easiest path to memorizing Mnemonica specifically is Rick Lax's Mnemonica Trainer.

In terms of drills, I have really been enjoying The Ultimate Mnemonica Trainer on my iPhone ( https://apps.apple.com/app/learn-mnemoni......t=uo%3D4 ). It's replaced my deck of cards with numbers on the back (shuffled face up and face down, how fast can I go?).

Michael Close's idea of using a metronome to normalize the timing is pretty slick too. The way I do it is if I fail, the card goes to the bottom, if I pass, it goes to the side. I use the deck mentioned earlier (numbers on the back, mixed face-up and face-down) so that I have to do it in both directions.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I just came up with another exercise -

Have a deck in stacked order. Then remove one card without looking at it. OR insert an extra card from a different deck. OR just move a card to the wrong location in the stack.
There is a slight problem because you will have a rough idea of where the card is/was. To avoid this, first cut the deck multiple times so the cards remain in stack order but not starting from 1. (You need to deliberately lose your sense of how much the stack is displaced). Then cut a few times after adding/removing/moving a card,

Then you just spread through the cards looking for the one that is out of position. At first you will tend to mentally recite the stack number of each card.
But now I am deliberately trying NOT to do that, which means I have to go through them faster. Just tried this a few times - and the out-of-place card just JUMPED out at me! Likewise when a card is removed, so there is a gap in the sequence. This is great - it means your brain works faster than you expect - if you are wiling to trust it.
iFeatherly
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of iFeatherly
Pit Hartling has an effect in “In Order to Amaze” (I think it’s “Sherlock”) where the spectators can riffle shuffle a couple times and cut the cards. The process to reveal the selected card involves running backwards through the MD in a couple phases. I found this effect helped me polish up my reaction times. There’s also an app that I believe was already mentioned (“Stack Master” on iPhone ) that is great for training quick calculations for effects like ACAAN.
Jim C.
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Jim C.
Check out the Joyal book, the Six-Hour Memorized Deck. It talks about writing the number on the back of each card representing that card's position in your stack. Shuffle the cards half face up and half face down. Then mix them thoroughly. Go through them. Try to name the card when the back appears with the number showing. And try to name the number when the card is showing. Do this as much as possible every day, just as if you were trying to master a sleight of hand move. Eventually, the numbers and cards associated therewith will move into your long term memory. Also, you won't have to think about the numbers any more. You'll just learn the cards in sequence the same as you know the alphabet. A little arithmetic will allow you to know the position of any card by seeing the bottom card, etc. when performing an effect.
Cesar Munoz
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Cesar Munoz
I published a free set of flash cards for mneumonica on Brainscape: https://www.brainscape.com/p/BLY8-LH-1OA24
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
383 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2020, Cesar Munoz wrote:
I published a free set of flash cards for mneumonica on Brainscape: https://www.brainscape.com/p/BLY8-LH-1OA24

Hey Cesar, can you please refrain from posting the same message on so many different threads? Why don't start a new thread instead? I believe people will pay more attention to what you have to say.
Protect me from my friends, I'll deal with my enemies.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Drills for intermediate-advanced mem deck training? (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL