The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Theatre shows (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

espmagic
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Ok, I am a mentalist with 30+ years of experience (corporate/private shows/fairs&festivals). Now I want to take "the show" on the road, to small towns in the general area - any place with a venue large enough to host the event.

Where can I find as much information about this as I can? I'm planning ahead for the post C-19 recovery...

Thanks for your help!

Lee
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2489 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
I do theatre's every year as part of my regular tour schedule. The part you are going to have the most difficult time with is Getting Butts In Seats.

From the beginning I started doing something that nobody else was doing and it has worked very well. The first 700 seat theatre I did, ended up getting just over 500 in there. That was on my first try at producing my own theatre show. The second one was at a 200 seat theatre and I over sold that one by 20 tickets. Did the next 700 seat theatre and oversold that one by 2 tickets.

Since then, I've typically gotten within a couple hundred tickets of selling out 700 - 1000 seat theatres and anything 400 or less, I've been able to sell out or get very close to it, every time.

It is a very, very, very, very difficult process. Sleepless nights, a ton of stress and no matter what, there is always a chance that you will lose money and in some cases it can be a lot of money. The method I came up with eliminates me from losing anything other than pride. It's not in print anywhere and I think I came up with it on my own. Anyway, This year, I may do 1 but I'm seriously contemplating not doing any, just because people may be reluctant and of this virus craziness.

So, here's the good part! The money! If you can pull it off, you have the potential to make a LOT of money. Do not sell your tickets for 5 or 10 dollars. Make your ticket prices closer to $25. The first two or three rows, make them about $40 and also put together a few VIP, BACK STAGE, MEET AND GREET tickets packages for something around $75.

Use a good source for online ticket sales. I use TicketSpice. They are very easy to learn their dashboard and to navigate around. They also allow you to collect the info you want for follow up, add ticket buyers to your list, etc. I typically get their name, and email. They will give you more becasue they are making a purchase. However, I don't find it necessary, but everybody will have their own process and ideas for marketing.

Ticketspice also allows you to scan the tickets at the door (have somebody do this) with any cell phone. They have an app you can download. If people don't show up, I contact them and refund their tickets. This has proven to be a powerful maarketing tool thta has made me many times over what I wouldve got by keeping their ticket money.

You better have a *** good show or else you will quickly lose all credibility. It's very easy to get TV interviews and even easier to get newspaper coverage, DO NOT think those two mediums will fill the seats, they won't. They will help a little... but not as much as you think.

I'm NOT going to tell you how I go about making these shows happen. It's nearly impossible here, but I can give you an idea to work with.

I never pay for anything. Every last thing is given to me to use, including ALL of the marketing, the theatre, sound and light techs, etc...

In addition to selling tickets, I also get several sponsors and I only offer them two sponsor packages.

I always bring in at least one other act to open for me. I don't pay for this act because they get something they would never get on their own or any other way. However, if the opening act want's to get paid (THIS ONLY HAPPENED ONCE) I give them a unique url to Ticketspicee and they have to sell their own tickets. The time I had to do this, I gave them 100 tickets to sell at whatever price they wanted to sell them at and they kept 100% of their own sales. They only sold 23 tickets. When they tell you the price they want their tickets, you can go into ticket spice and set it up for them, it takes about 2 minutes.

Did I mention, this is NOT an easy thing to do.

Good luck!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What do you mean? You don't pay an opening act? Are you joking? You are putting an act in your show that is not able to get paid? When you are selling out 1,000 seats why not spend the extra couple hundred bucks? I just don't see how this approach makes any sense at all. 700 seats at $25 is what $17,500? You can't afford to pay an opening act? Why drag down the quality of the show?

If you are so regularly selling out 1,000 seat theaters why do anything else? Seems pointless not to do them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
Hi Danny,

Good question!

I DO NOT regularly sell out 1000 seat theatres. I usually do 1 big theatre or a couple small ones every year. I am not crazy enough to do more than that. Also, I don't actually have to do any theatres and I can still secure about half as many secret venue shows as I would, buy doing a theatre... But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The opening act is taken care of in a way that is absolutely unheard of and nobody else is doing or has ever done before. What they get is so good that they ask to be a part of the show every time I put it on. Everybody they tell about what they got out of the deal rings my phone and want's to get in on it.

Like I said, nobody else is doing what I do. Not sure if you remember a while ago, I mentioned a "secret venue" that nobody on earth has touched, and I have tapped into it. I literally have a monopoly and this is just a tiny part of it and the opening acts I use, are VERY well taken care of.

You say if I'm making the money I mention, it is pointless NOT to keep doing them, but you are incorrect because the theatre shows are only a small part of the bigger picture. From the outside looking in, it may seem pointless NOT to do them, but you don't know how they play into the rest of it.

I can say that I live better than I ever have before, since tapping into this idea a few years ago. And it all came together after you told me you would not hire me to work at the resorts you book because people with a past as street performers are not a good fit. for your resort contracts. Then, I found out from Johnny how much acts were paid for the resort work through you and that triggered a lot of thinking and brainstorming. Which int urn, led to something that I thought was at least worth a shot and it became my most profitable project.

Now, I only book 50-60 fair days each year. When fair season is over, I do one or two theatres. One small theatre, fuels the other "secret venue" for about 30-40 additional paid shows. Last year, outside of the fair market, I used what I do to secure 41 additional shows. I'm very comfortable and everybody involved is very happy to not only be a part of it, but to continue being a part of it again and again.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why does it seem to me you are building to a marketing course of some sort?

And if Johnny told you we paid well, he was being rather casual with the truth LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
I swear to God, I am NOT ever going to sell ANY kind of marketing course. I guarantee you that and if I ever begin to mention it, I want you to bring this up to me and everybody in the community.

If I ever sell or offer to sell ANY kind of course, I am a liar who is NOT to be trusted. I gave my word on this day that I would not do it and I will stick to that.

One other performer, a juggler who performed along side me two years ago also gave me a dollar amount. Told me about tourist things they got to do in the Yucatan, what the locals who worked at the resorts thought of the performers, the drivers, etc. The dollar amount was NOT overblown and it is pretty much equal to what some other folks mentioned to me, who wanted me to perform at their tourist locations.

Anyway, I will not be selling or endorsing any marketing or performing course of any kind.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea the other places pay about $50 bucks a night. They use 99% locals.

Lots of guys throw around lots of numbers for different reasons. Some will tell you a REALLY low number, just to keep you from wanting to do it. Some tell a REALLY high number just to make you jealous LOL.

I get a kick out of guys who call saying something like "I know what you pay Bannachek so I think I am worth x$". Needless to say he would never discuss what he is paid with anyone.

I miss Johnny. I have hours of video from working with him in the Dominican Republic. Good dude. I think it is funny almost everyone will say of Johnny, "I really liked Johnny, BUT... then they have a story about something. He was one of a kind.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Vandecarr - your story is a good one, and certainly tempting to try. What type of show do you do? As I mentioned, I am a mentalist, are you the same? Or magician (and if so, big illusions)?
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
God broke the mold after He made Johnny. I miss him, too!

ESP, I do a comedy magic show, mostly comedy. The magic is because the comedy, while scripted, plays as spontaneous and situational.

The magic is NOT illusions, I get everything from home depot when it's time to get new props!
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Something to keep in mind... a corporate, fair / festival mentalist show is not necessarily a theatrical show.
Max Maven and Darren Brown have both presented Broadway / off-broadway shows created with a theatre in mind.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well that is the main point. Theater shows are just that. An entirely different animal.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Theatre shows (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL