The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A QUALITY magic set for children (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

slapstick
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of slapstick
Hi all. I've recently been tasked by a cousin to find a nice quality magic set for her 9 year old son. I've suggested some of the classic tricks (particularly down the Marvin's Magic route... Dynamic Coins, Svengali Deck, Energised Coin etc) and also suggested Mark Wilson's Complete Course as a start, but I don't know where to start with recommending a magic set.

There are plenty out there, but most are nasty tacky, plasticy things. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Might it be possible to find an old Adams or Mysto Magic set in good shape on the used/secondhand market? I daresay that’s what many of us started with. Might be better than some contemporary sets.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
jkr
View Profile
Regular user
Mn
147 Posts

Profile of jkr
Https://www.myboxofmagic.com/shop/all/

This is the best I’ve seen!
slapstick
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of slapstick
Thanks for your input guys. I'll look into the options. As far as contemporary stuff goes, JKR... that set and concept looks pretty neat!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I always liked the look and quality of the Melissa & Doug magic set: https://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Delu......001YNLLK
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
'tacky nasty' magic set - may be best, if you don't know if the young man is "really" into Magic - then go from there - check also the forums that are selling Magic- try Tenyo - etc.. ??????????
Carnac
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Carnac
I would “second” the Mellisa and Doug sets. Super quality and at a super price point. Instead of 100 tricks made of paper and too many parts and overwhelming, the M & D sets are 8-12 effects that are thoughtfully selected, well made and decorated and would encourage a kid to want to learn more. 😎
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Slapstick, if you like the Mellisa & Doug set, I have 3 of them (different sets with different props) I would be willing to sell. I'm mainly a collector, so these are unused and only opened to look at. I also have Marvin's Magic Freaky Body Illusions in nearly new condition http://www.moxshop.dk/freaky-body-illusi......guage=en

PM me if you are interested and I can send you pictures. I was going to put these up for sale here on the Café, but am running behind with my posts.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A QUALITY magic set for children (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL