We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Jack Gwynne (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1751 Posts

Profile of David Todd
David Charvet has recently shared video from his collection of Jack Gwynne performing his 'Miracle From India' suspension illusion.

https://youtu.be/Ns7n01bwKyA?t=78

Click here to view attached image.
Russo
View Profile
Special user
816 Posts

Profile of Russo
SUPER X -- it's a simple, but, GREAT Illusion.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1751 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2020, Russo wrote:
SUPER X -- it's a simple, but, GREAT Illusion.

Yeah, well ... but , Gwynne's improvements to the props and the presentation make his way beyond the standard off-the-shelf Super-X. In Gwynne's the supports actually look like they could support the girl lying on the board (unlike the flat cut-out supports supplied with the standard Super-X), and the board is removed so the effect is of the girl's body suspended on the points of the swords , then in mid-air when the swords are removed, rather than a "floating board" that the girl is lying on. His handling of the hoop pass is also very well thought out.

Click here to view attached image.
Russo
View Profile
Special user
816 Posts

Profile of Russo
So true - it's the Magician that's makes it - saw an awful one once - a young girl floating her brother. The Magician(?) looked as if she was playing a jazz piano - the floatee was giggling so much the whole illusion(?)was shaking.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2645 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
The presentation was a tad 'wooden' and the sound quality naff - but I suppose this was 1961! However, the illusion is still very good.

Didn't Jack Gwynne build some props for Houdini?

I've still got a Jack Gwynne flip-over box that was passed on by my Father. It's of Davenports 1940's heritage and is still in great shape for its' age.
Barry Allen

Joe Riding
20th May 1932 - 23rd April 2005

Thank you for making me an entertainer. I still miss ya mate.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Jack Gwynne (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL