The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Zoom Or Remote Online Performances (89 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My lord that was the most boring woman I have ever seen! I had to stop watching after 10 seconds.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
vincentmusician
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
192 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I am not a big fan of Virtual Magic Shows. Nothing can replace live in person performance. People need to realize you can do more than just Magic Shows. What about getting a job as a Cashier, or something other than a Magician?
Luckily, I have another profession, so I can wait it out until the in person shows come back.
So for those who are not jumping on the Gotta Do Virtual Shows Bandwagon, Good For You. I am one of you!
I have spoken to a few who tested the waters and gave up. Not their cup of tea.
Different strokes for different folks!
CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Special user
Curtis The Mentalist
505 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
I know I'm late to the party here, but I've been quite busy doing what this thread is discussing--producing and performing virtual shows. I've had a similar experience to Nash; in fact, quite similar. Like many, all of my bookings for 2020 cancelled back mid-March 2020, and I had to refund a considerable amount of pre-paid fees. However, many of my clients simply rescheduled for this year and some moved their events to virtual so I embraced it sometime in May.

I learned early on that public virtual shows and selling tickets wasn't really the way to go (for me anyway) so I started optimizing my web presence for corporate and private virtual shows and the gigs started rolling in. While my income overall dropped right around 50% for last year, it would have been much lower than that if it weren't for virtual shows. September through December snowballed quickly with December alone being right at about $3,000 dollars shy of my average previous Decembers in the "normal" world. December has always been a stellar month for me. Even today I'm getting daily requests for virtual shows and booking about 1/3 to 1/2 of them.

Of course like many I absolutely didn't want to do it at all and knew it would never replace real, LIVE, entertainment. However, in my experience I've discovered that it really isn't replacing anything at all, but has--in fact--become it's own new market for which there is a demand and I'm there to fill it as needed. Fortunately for me, some of my comedy club shows started up again back in August on a monthly basis, with the occasional odd in-person gig now and then throughout the Midwest so I've been juggling a bit of virtual and "real" gigs.

I decided early on that if I was to do virtual shows that I would invest in creating a show with very high-production value; something like an interactive television show with ever changing screens, professional lighting, high-quality audio, at least three different camera angles, sets, backgrounds, music, etc. I also knew that I would have to create a very strong organic web presence as I knew people would be searching there primarily for such entertainment. I've enjoyed the challenge and learning all of the tech, but even with some of the best audio/video/computer equipment and software available, it has it's problems. I knew as long as I presented a well-produced show, and promoted it with authority and professionalism, that I could command the type of fees I would need. I have been receiving close to my regular corporate fees for shows for months now, minus any travel, lodging and other expenses that normal in-person gigs would incur. I've even received as much as $1,500 for just a small, 15-minute virtual presentation, though an average show for me is right around 60 minutes.

Virtual shows have kept me working very frequently over the last year, and it has all paid for the financial investment several times over. How long this wave will last I have no idea and don't really care, but I'll ride it as long as it will carry me.
cameronb
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of cameronb
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
I am confident that 2021 will be one of the strongest live entertainment years in recent history.

Quote:
On Apr 15, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why might it be? Again turn off your tv and computer just for a few days.

And there is ZERO chance this is the future. It is temporary and if it lasts through June that will be a long time.

This aged like milk. Nice self-evisceration, fellas. Couldn't name a more iconic duo.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Did you also put up the MANY posts where I said that I got it WAY WRONG? I have said many times in this very thread how wrong I got this. But since you never ever make a mistake of any kind I look forward to your perfection in every post. (Though this is not really a strong start.)

And I stand by there being ZERO chance this is the future. While it lasted a heck of a lot longer than I ever imagined, it is simply not the future of performance.

And by the way for the record Branson Missouri is right now since spring break having tourist numbers that are like have not been seen in decades. I guess 2021 who indeed be a very strong year for entertainment here.

Strong start on your perfection.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
candlestick
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of candlestick
Virtual shows are something I have no particular interest in. I don't like technology and it would be too much of a learning curve for me. However, I think for many performers it has been a useful tool for keeping the wolf from the door. I am fortunate that I am in a position where I don't have to do a single show (and I haven't for the last year) to survive. I have other ways of generating revenue which keep me afloat. However, I do appreciate that if no performing income is coming in and nothing else is available the virtual shows, although not ideal, are a decent alternative. Not for me and undoubtedly not for some others on this thread but in many cases you have to do what you have to do. It is called survival and we all have to do this as best we can.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10264 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Good thoughts from a wise old owl. I agree with everything you said. While the pandemic took longer than I and most others expected, the strong rebound is in full effect. Inquiries and bookings have been coming in like crazy the last few weeks and in discussing this with other performers and agencies, it is very strong in many places across the U.S. Unlike anything I can remember seeing before. I said before people would be ready to want live entertainment and man are they ever.

Weddings are so strong that many venues do not have openings until 2023 already. Fairs and festivals are going crazy nationwide. Talent/Entertainers are raising their prices in probably the largest one-time increase that I can ever remember. Tourist spots are having a banner year with reservations pouring in literally daily. Vegas is open and 100% fully by June 1st, the concert season is heating up and should be a great summer and fall as well as touring is starting back for many.

I had road gigs this last week and the flights were packed in every one of them. Airports were hopping, check-in, TSA lines are back, and like performers raising prices, airfares are rising as well. I guess everyone is making up for "the lost year." Other markets like schools will take until August to being the strong rebound, but every gig I did last week were school shows across the country. Next year should be a banner year for schools as well.

As for virtual and Zoom shows, they were never meant to replace live entertainment or to last. They served their purpose for those who needed it to survive, and for a few, it created a new offering, especially in the corporate (professional market) world where there may still be a valid, cost-effective means for such a format in the future, more so for speakers, trainers, educators, motivators, etc. But not for live entertainment purposes. As I stated at the very beginning of this, these virtual shows, no matter how good they are performed, and what a whiz some maybe with the tech and new equipment, they simply do not (or can ever) have the same performance dynamics as a live in-person performance, period.

I have probably seen more virtual shows than most, and while some were decent, a few even very good, they are just not a replacement for live entertainment.

This is exactly as I and few others stated it would be from a live entertainment and business perspective as stated earlier in those and other TB threads.

I do think most did the best they could all things considered. As said, you had to do what you had to do. What I am still amazed with is that so may seemed to do nothing with the pandemic year and are not taking full advantage in preparing and positioning themselves for the rebound that is happening now. You had a year, pretty much without distractions, so there really is no excuse not have prepared for this rebound opportunity.

Have we lost anyone here due to the pandemic that you know of?

I hope with the rebound in full effect, we will start having some more business discussionshere in TB.
candlestick
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of candlestick
Quite frankly I have found the pandemic to be a blessing in disguise from a business point of view. Only from a business point of view, mind you. I utterly detest the rest of it. It has forced me to re-evaluate the way I have been doing things and oddly enough having a wonderful excuse not to worry about the entertainment business until it returns has taken a weight off my shoulders. It has given me time to write books, do psychic readings online and work on new material and strategies for when show business comes back.

Where I am located we are all still in a strict lockdown so it will be some time yet before the entertainment business opens up. I don't think anything will happen here until September but I don't mind a bit. It gives me more time to prepare for reopening and bring in more revenue in the way I have already been doing. Once it opens up I think show business will be back with a bang! People will be hungry for entertainment and bookings will return.

I do have one caveat though. Possibly I am being over cautious here but where the virus is concerned I don't think we should count our chickens before they are hatched. I don't want to get into politics here but I am not sure things are fully hatched yet. Things may look good at the moment in the US but vaccine hesitancy is a big issue and there are nasty variants around. It may well impede progress and everyone will have to go back to zoom shows again!

I remember about a year ago a certain American hypnotist told me that many people in the US would refuse to be vaccinated. I didn't believe him at the time but boy! I certainly believe him now! Still, as Winston Churchill once said, "If you are going through hell----just keep going". I have always found that to be good advice which I have tried to follow for decades.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Enough have jumped into getting vaccinated. It is smart and probably the way through.

Lots have also had the disease and are immune.

Cases and deaths are down in 50 states. It is getting harder and harder to sell this as scary.

Vaccines are good and it is a darn shame they are political now. Everyone should be touting this as a good thing in unity. As a triumph of mankind. One political party started development, started distributing it and the other party has brought it over the goal line. I don't know why this isn't the story.

America should be getting vaccine to the world at large. It was and is a global pandemic. We should be seen as leading the effort to eradicate the problem.

Rant over.

Entertainment where I am is and has been back and booming.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10264 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree that politics should stay out of this and our defense against the vaccine should be our greatest concern. With that said, and as well as things are going here in the states, I fully expect a spike again by the fall for several reasons including those that refuse to get vaccinated, but mostly for the fall shot or booster if you prefer. Just like the flu shots, they typically are only good for 9 months or so and need to be done each year. The same will happen with COVID-19. Phizer and the others have also said this from the start, and fall is when this typically happens.

Will entertainment be affected? Depends on how severe the spike but it will not be anything compared to what we have experienced.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The thing the vaccine does also, which is a great feature, is that if you do get sick it is FAR less severe.

There will be many twists and turns to this. That is the only prediction I can make. (Especially considering I have been 100% in my past predictions. Yep 100%. I was wrong every time!)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
candlestick
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of candlestick
Quote:
On May 22, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:

America should be getting vaccine to the world at large. It was and is a global pandemic. We should be seen as leading the effort to eradicate the problem.

Rant over.

I agree with this 100%. I have thought it for some time.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5860 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On May 22, 2021, Dannydoyle :
Lots have also had the disease and are immune.

Quote:
On May 22, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:
The thing the vaccine does also, which is a great feature, is that if you do get sick it is FAR less severe.

Some perspective from the actual scientists:

Efficacy of the vaccine appears to be better via the vaccine than by natural inoculation.

Vaccination is NOT immunization. We already have reports of vaccinated people Later turnIng up positive for COVID.

Danny’s quotes above may raise more confusion than anything else. It is easy to use the word “immune” or “immunized” out of habit, but that is simply not that actual reality. I catch myself about to do that almost weekly. Those who act immune may well contract COVID. The very claims that “it lessens symptoms” lays proof to this. I guess it is up to each person to decide what to do until science gives us an answer as to the possibility of vaccinated COVID positive people spreading the virus. You can use caution, or you can throw caution to the wind. Not that a huge chunk of the population needs a reason to throw caution to the wind.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20726 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nco......ses.html

I am curious as to if the CDC has "actual scientists"? Because here is their viewpoint form this page.

"Even though a small percentage of fully vaccinated people will get sick, vaccination will protect most people from getting sick. There also is some evidence that vaccination may make illness less severe in people who get vaccinated but still get sick. Despite this, some fully vaccinated people will still be hospitalized and die. However, the overall risk of hospitalization and death among fully vaccinated people will be much lower than among people with similar risk factors who are not vaccinated."

Sort of the point I was making, and does not seem to cause much confusion.

As for natural immunity, here is from National Institutes of Health. Not sure what you think of them. Granted it was all the way back in January so take that for what it is worth.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-rese......covid-19

Yes some have gotten infected after having had the disease. But it is not the norm. Far from it.

There is some benefit from having had the disease. How long that lasts is not known.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2551 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I will agree that of the many magicians who made a “pivot” to zoom shows, the same relative number succeeded as happened in real life. The thing that I didn’t think about originally… was that even though we can all agree that magic just isn’t the same when it’s not live, the zoom medium gives those with the talent and charisma to pull it off a chance to connect with their audience in a somewhat more intimate way. You aren’t on a stage 120 feet away, they can see your eyes, your conviction, your passion… if in fact that exists. Some people belong on the stage, far enough away where we can’t really see the lack of fire and conviction in your eyes. The close up camera exposes that. If they DID have that ability and charisma to connect with people under this close of a microscope, their audience was given the gift of feeling that intimacy and vulnerability that typically wasn’t possible in many larger venues. Sadly, for most it just exposed that weakness.
Ray Pierce
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1090 Posts

Profile of Nash
Quote:
On May 23, 2021, Ray Pierce wrote:
[...]the zoom medium gives those with the talent and charisma to pull it off a chance to connect with their audience in a somewhat more intimate way. You aren’t on a stage 120 feet away, they can see your eyes, your conviction, your passion…

100%. Close-up performers have an advantage in virtual shows. What normally plays to 5-10 people can now reach hundreds.
Honestly I really dig doing virtual shows and even prefer them LOL.

Last year I survived through virtual shows. Ended up with a manageable 18% decrease from 2019. But as with everything, it takes time to build.
The referrals from 2020's Virtual shows are finally snowballing for me this year and I'm actually having the best year revenue-wise so far (beating my previous best year by 28% from Jan - June). The $$ is actually way better for me doing virtual than live on a per-hour basis - AND I get to spend more time with my daughter? (Win-win!)

Earlier this year I thought there will be a short period where people are tired of virtual shows, but aren't fully ready to jump back into live gatherings yet .... But looks like I've underestimated how much people wants to have live events. In recent months I was able to do several live events (A speaking engagement (rescheduled from last year), corporate awards dinner, wedding, private parties). Various markets are indeed making a strong come back and people are pumped for gatherings. The bounce back might happen a lot faster for us.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate event magician
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10264 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yeah, I agree as we're seeing this now on a daily basis. Glad, you are up 28% for the first two quarters of the year.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Zoom Or Remote Online Performances (89 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL