The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What’s the difference between brass and copper cups ? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
464 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
After searching , many people have mentioned that the sounds are different , brass sounds better.

Beside the sound , is there any other difference between them ?
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
607 Posts

Profile of karnak
The look of the metal, obviously. Many seem to prefer copper over brass in this regard, especially as it patinas from a shiny orange to a soft mocha brown.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Yes, copper looks much better as it ages naturally.
unless you like that shiny brass look, which I do not.

also most brass cups seem to be CNC made instead of spun.
A quality spun cups just feels better in terms of weight, balance, etc.

spun cups have nicer beads IMO, as well. CNC is sorta faking it to make it look like a spun cup.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
374 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Brass is made from copper and zinc and/or other elements. The zinc lightens the color. RNT2 brass cups in the Monti and Paul Fox lines were spun while the Foxy I and Foxy II lines were CNC. Sherwood brass cups are spun. CNC cups are almost always heavier. Joe Porper cups were of the CNC variety as well.
Magic is where you find it.....
MagicVin
View Profile
Regular user
Staten Island, New York
178 Posts

Profile of MagicVin
Correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t CNC made cups be stronger than spun cups?
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
kcmagic1
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of kcmagic1
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2020, MagicVin wrote:
Correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t CNC made cups be stronger than spun cups?

I don't believe that is necessarily true. A spun cup will give the same wall thickness, approx., through the entire cup. That can be achieved by CNC as well. Where the difference and strength come into play would be like with the 1000-G cups, other than the 303 stainless that they are made with, I was able to beef up the top crown of the cup so that when I hit it, it will not collapse or flatten out. If you have every had a problem with a ball not staying on the top of a cup, you'll understand. I also made the beads solid so that, not only will the cup keep shape, even when dropped, the beads will not collapse over time and the inside of the cup keeps its shape as well. That has been an issue in just about every copper cup that I own, including my Sherwoods.
Designer of the 1000-G cups - the most durable cups in magic www.kristiancharles.com/1000-g
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24265 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Most copper cups are not copper. Most of them are made of a bronze alloy of some kind. Just like the old-fashined copper pennies, which are actually bronze.

Spun brass has a tendency to split if it is not annealed properly. Bronze is more forgiving. If you have pure copper cups, they will probably be fairly soft.

When copper or bronze is spun, the metal does have a tendency to stretch a little, producing some spots that can be slightly thinner than the rest of the object.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What’s the difference between brass and copper cups ? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL