The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Pop Eyed Popper Deck? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheMetalMagician
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of TheMetalMagician
Is the Pop Eyed Popper deck good for anything more than forcing a card?

It seems to me that the biggest disadvantage to this kind of deck is that you have to ask the spectator to point to card instead of just taking one. Any way around that?

If I'm missing any advantage to this kind of deck I'd love to fill in the blanks.

Thanks
TheMetalMagician
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2026 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Not just point...
Ask them to _touch_ any card.
Then ask if they want to change their mind. If so, let them touch another.
Once they're sure.... You slide the card forward for them to take it.

It makes for a very open and free feeling force.

As for other effects, once the card has been (ahem) "selected", it can be replaced and you can overhand shuffle to your heart's content for the world's easiest ambitious card routine.
langston3711
View Profile
Regular user
Cumming, GA
188 Posts

Profile of langston3711
Look into Lonnie Chevri's card stab routine on his Penguin Live. It's great
When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable
~Teller
TheMetalMagician
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

A couple things to try to contribute to the thread:
1. Obviously some decks are higher quality than others. A cheap one came with the Fantasma kit I got and there's barely any roughing between the cards at all - it's next to impossible to fan them out without the force cards peeking out.
2. The one that came with the fantasma kit has the force cards trimmed in such a way that if you riffle them one way it's the cards that are different and if you riffle them backwards it looks like the whole deck has turned into the force card.
3. A friend showed me that one thing you can do is waterfall the cards, and then when the spectator says "stop", you turn the bottom half of the deck up and push the force card over with your thumb and say "That's your card", and they can see both the force card and a regular card, making it appear more natural. I like that better than asking the spectator to touch a card but not take it. Personal preference.

I thought I read somewhere else on this forum that "roughing fluid" or whatever is actually sold in magic shops and can be used when the roughing gets worn down on a popper deck. True?
psychod
View Profile
Regular user
I may not be a millionaire but at least I have
182 Posts

Profile of psychod
Metal,

You have a couple of options depending upon your budget and your personal preference.

Roughing Stick by Harry Robson-Have one and it works great
Science Friction-Card Shark-Great product but pricier than others
Roughing Fluid-available at magic shops
Roughing Spray-available at magic shops
I can't remember the exact type but there's also a type of Tester's spray paint that can be used.

Hope this helps,

Dave
Just adding my 3 cents worth because anybody can add their 2 cents worth...
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2026 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2020, TheMetalMagician wrote:
2. The one that came with the fantasma kit has the force cards trimmed in such a way that if you riffle them one way it's the cards that are different and if you riffle them backwards it looks like the whole deck has turned into the force card.
3. A friend showed me that one thing you can do is waterfall the cards, and then when the spectator says "stop", you turn the bottom half of the deck up and push the force card over with your thumb and say "That's your card", and they can see both the force card and a regular card, making it appear more natural. I like that better than asking the spectator to touch a card but not take it. Personal preference.

That's a Mirage deck - Svengali (short/long) + Pop Eyed Popper (rough/smooth)

Quote:
I thought I read somewhere else on this forum that "roughing fluid" or whatever is actually sold in magic shops and can be used when the roughing gets worn down on a popper deck. True?

Yes. See the comment above this one for your options. Sticks, sprays, etc.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2026 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2020, psychod wrote:
I can't remember the exact type but there's also a type of Tester's spray paint that can be used.

Testor's Dullcote -- lots of magic shop "roughing spray" is simply this with a label plastered over it.
Krylon Clear Matte 1311 is also an option.

Clear Plasti-Dip spray has also been discussed as a Science Friction alternative.
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
An interesting way to use this deck starts by overhand shuffling the cards with the faces toward the spectators. Stop the shuffle and ask a spectator to give a number between 1 and 20. Once you have the number, push the face-up, double card off the deck and move it to the back of the deck. Repeat this until you are one short of the selected number pause and state the the next card is the one determined by the spectator. Splitting the double card, remove the one on the face of the deck revealing the force card. Moving the cards to the back of the deck keeps the deck from shrinking twice as fast as it should.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2328 Posts

Profile of todsky
There’s also a split pop-eyed popper:
https://www.magicstore.ca/product/split-......le-blue/
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
ScarneAce
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
58 Posts

Profile of ScarneAce
I use one for David Acers Nomen Omen effect, I've been performing it for years!
TheMetalMagician
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 26, 2020, J Christensen wrote:
An interesting way to use this deck starts by overhand shuffling the cards with the faces toward the spectators. Stop the shuffle and ask a spectator to give a number between 1 and 20. Once you have the number, push the face-up, double card off the deck and move it to the back of the deck. Repeat this until you are one short of the selected number pause and state the the next card is the one determined by the spectator. Splitting the double card, remove the one on the face of the deck revealing the force card. Moving the cards to the back of the deck keeps the deck from shrinking twice as fast as it should.

I'm guessing that before you start all that you have the spectator touch the back of a card or otherwise make them think they're picking any card when in reality they're picking whatever the force card is? THEN you overhand shuffle and then have them pick a number and magically the card they chose is at their number?
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
That’s a different effect, although a good one. What I wrote is correct. I neglected to state that this is a prediction effect. A prediction, for example, an envelope with a card matching the force card is placed in plain view. The above procedure is followed and despite a very open process in which the faces of the cards are in view at all times the prediction is correct. Robert Parrish described this in The Pallbearers Review. He used it as an opener.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1589 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2020, TheMetalMagician wrote:
Is the Pop Eyed Popper deck good for anything more than forcing a card?

Of course that's just a method, and any given method can produce a surprising effect with a good presentation and plot, but that's where the hard work comes in. And there may be situations where this particular method will help you accomplish something not possible with a regular deck.

The concept has also has wider application, for example in the Split Pop Eyed Popper Deck which uses 52 sets of half cards.

There's a performance video demonstrating it here:

HarryCooperDaniels
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of HarryCooperDaniels
Nick Einhorns penguin lecture shows his use of the pop eyed popper deck. He takes the top card from the top of the deck, shows it then places it on the bottom. Repeats this till the spectator says stop, and places the unseen top card aside for a reveal later. He shows a few more cards just to reiterate they were all different cards.
TheMetalMagician
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Quick update: I bought a roughing stick and used it on the cards in the Fantasma kit and noticed an IMMEDIATE AND HUGE difference. In fact, in my first try I probably used a bit too much because as great as the cards are at sticking together it actually takes muscular effort to slide a force card over. What I like about the stick in particular is that you can rough up any specific part of the card. Most of the time you're only going to want to rough up the middle stripe so they will stick together but you can still flip through them rather easily.
TheMetalMagician
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Quote:
That's a Mirage deck - Svengali (short/long) + Pop Eyed Popper (rough/smooth)

Do all Mirage decks have the feature that if you flip them one way it shows all "force" cards and if you flip them the other way it shows all "different" cards?

I'm a little paranoid that doing the flip to show all the force cards gives away that it's a trick deck - should I worry about that? I kind of like the effect of it temporarily looking like the force card is a "ghost".
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1589 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
TheMetalMagician: It all depends on how you want to use a Svengali or Mirage deck. So it depends totally on your preferred approach to a performance with this deck.

You can certainly reveal the entire deck temporarily as consisting of all cards like the Force card, and then change it back to 'normal'. Or you can simply use it as a force on multiple occasions, and never show that all the cards in the deck are the same, and never give the impression that it's anything but a normal deck. The choice is yours.
TheMetalMagician
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 21, 2020, EndersGame wrote:
You can certainly reveal the entire deck temporarily as consisting of all cards like the Force card, and then change it back to 'normal'.

I think this is what I'd like to do. I use the force to "teleport" the force card to multiple locations. Then I'd say, "I don't normally reveal the secrets to my magic, but I'm going to let you peek behind the curtain on this one - the secret is, the (force card i.e. 5 of hearts) iiiiisssss aaaaaa ghhooooooosssstttttt........ in fact, the ghost likes to possess the entire deck on occasion - watch! (I flip through the deck showing all force cards). But don't worry - he always leaves again (flip through the deck in the other direction revealing all different cards)."

My "paranoia" is that even a casual observer is suddenly going to realize it's not a "real" deck of cards, ruining the illusion. My question is simply, should I really worry about that, or should I just start practicing the trick and performing it for friends and let what happens happen.

Hope that cleared it up.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1589 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
You can be tipping the fact that it's a "trick deck" with that handling. But the payoff can be worth it, because it can really blow people away.

It just means that you're increasing the risk of people wanting to see the deck afterwards, and obviously it's not examinable. Without showing all the cards as the force card, there's no reason for people to suspect it's a trick deck or even want to examine it. But you do tend to lose some of the impact, because the effect that you describing can really shock people.

So it's all about compromising, and what is most important to you. The handling you describe is definitely legitimate and can be super powerful - you'll just need to control the situation well, and some small details to how you handle things could be really important. Do some reading about Svengali decks, and you'll get some good information and ideas.
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
453 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
I love the pop-eyed popper deck. I use a jumbo size deck and keep the front tilted down as I spread the cards for them to "just touch the one you feel most attracted to."

Works like a charm.

Best Wishes!
carl
THANK YOU for helping us carry on our laughter ministry in hospitals to kids of ALL ages. Our visits are ALWAYS free. We NEED & DEEPLY appreciate your gifts of magic so that we can do what we do. Please PM me with questions.

https://youtu.be/2DbAdXKIf-A
https://youtu.be/sXXXyk6LJgE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Pop Eyed Popper Deck? (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL