The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hand Touching - distance (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8642 Posts

Profile of funsway
Coin magic can rely heavily on the use of spectators' hands that is restrictive at the moment.
Even the recommended distancing between performer and observer limits "close up" effects.

So, I offer a couple of thoughts gleaned form various publications:

1) Your hand is a container. Other containers are substitute hands.

2) the use of a spectator's hand has several advantages:
a) not your hand (implies no sleights)
b) other than your hands (three is better than two option-wise)
c) spectator as witness or referee
d) audience engagement
e) infectious reaction of spectator as to awe&wonder

3) all of these advantages can be be achieved by using a different container than a spectator's hand IF a spectator is involved in the manipulation of said container.

consider a hand-shaped platen on the end of a 3 foot stick. This can be laid or lifted by a spectator to cover a coin set on a table.
You can still do placements, extractions and several sleights under this platen. You can still refer to "under your hand."

Baskets, small boxes and silks can all be moved by a spectator using a "gitter" - one of those pick-up grabbers with movable claw.

Just use your imagination ...

both "no touch" and "distance" are an opportunity for audience engagement in new ways.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Nev Blenk
View Profile
New user
Northumberland UK
47 Posts

Profile of Nev Blenk
Interesting thoughts.

I had an idea of using a glove but you would need a surface I suppose. Using the glove to cover the coin(s) as if it was the spectators other hand. You can also buy fake hands that are used to practice nail art but maybe they look a little creepy Smile

Nev
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8642 Posts

Profile of funsway
I developed a routine decades ago for a performer with one hand.
It used a glove on the table for his other hand and allowed for some very interesting moves
such as concealing object inside that could be revealed durng pickup similar to some Cup sleights.

He added the idea of placing the glove on his shoulder between moves that allowed for pocket ditches.
Also, since the glove can be casually dropped anywhere on the table, the act of retrieving it can cover loads an d other sneaking things -
a very natural "directed focus" masking.

This does not solve the "spectator interaction" loss, but could make sense if rubber gloves are used with discovered magical attributes or whatever.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

Smooth Criminal
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Smooth Criminal
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2020, funsway wrote:
Coin magic can rely heavily on the use of spectators' hands that is restrictive at the moment.
Even the recommended distancing between performer and observer limits "close up" effects.

So, I offer a couple of thoughts gleaned form various publications:

1) Your hand is a container. Other containers are substitute hands.

2) the use of a spectator's hand has several advantages:
a) not your hand (implies no sleights)
b) other than your hands (three is better than two option-wise)
c) spectator as witness or referee
d) audience engagement
e) infectious reaction of spectator as to awe&wonder

3) all of these advantages can be be achieved by using a different container than a spectator's hand IF a spectator is involved in the manipulation of said container.

consider a hand-shaped platen on the end of a 3 foot stick. This can be laid or lifted by a spectator to cover a coin set on a table.
You can still do placements, extractions and several sleights under this platen. You can still refer to "under your hand."

Baskets, small boxes and silks can all be moved by a spectator using a "gitter" - one of those pick-up grabbers with movable claw.

Just use your imagination ...

both "no touch" and "distance" are an opportunity for audience engagement in new ways.

You're recommending using a hand-shaped plate to do coin tricks at the gigs no one has because of the lockdown?

amazing.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8642 Posts

Profile of funsway
A platen is not a plate - but any flat object easily made at home from available materials.

A kitchen cooking mitt stiffened with cardboard can work or something cut from a coffee can lid.

CoinBoy101
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of CoinBoy101
Quote:
On May 18, 2020, scotchrocket wrote:
@Smooth Criminal Regardless of your opinion on the idea – I don't see myself using a remote hand, either – you're not making any effort so I've gone ahead and reported your posts.

In a forum like this, we're expected to be able to interact with others like adults and you haven't showed that – despite being asked by multiple people – at which point we're left to assume you're a troll.

Thank you, scotchrocket, I have reported those posts, too
Kanawati
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
255 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
I consider funsway one of my Café friends. He is a great contributor, very knowledgeable, creative, and has personally offered me honest feedback and constructive advice which has helped me move my own magic forward. Funsway is one of the guys that has made me feel like I’m part of a magic community and he also just happens to make the community a pretty cool place to be a part of. John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hand Touching - distance (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL