The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » The MOVE for a magnetic, locking flipper coin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
Another user suggested that I make this post here rather than where I originally put it.
So here we go:

I've got Double Deception Deluxe. It is a very nice apparatus.

My issue is the handling. In the teaching DVD the moves were all too "shifty" for my taste. Do you have to start any magnetic flipper coin routine HOT & DIRTY? Is the same true of a non-magnetic locking flipper? Do you consider the magnetic or locking flipper feature an upgrade over a simple gravity flipper?

Can anyone direct me to a less shifty way of using this piece of equipment, please?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I start with the flipper closed... can freely show two separate coins both sides. nothing "hot and dirty" there.
I have no problem with opening the flipper and getting it set in the palm of my hand looking "shifty" -- it's more "fidgety" ... as in I've got two coins in my hand and I'm engaging the spectator and fidgeting with the coins as I talk like anyone might normally do.
Ask a question, they'll naturally look up at you, then do the work, but it's not like you're trying or even have to hide anything. The action is all pretty well covered, and what they see before and after is what they'd expect to see.

I see a locking mechanism as a "feature" with its pluses and minuses. More free and open handling when closed -- including handing to a spectator*, but at the expense of special moves (and proximity of the other coin) to open it.
*You can hand a non-magnetic flipper to a spectator. Unless they're a coin collector trained to hold coins by their edges it's not going to flop open on its own. Craig Petty mentions handing out flippers on his "Flipped Out" DVD.
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
It sounds like you referring to a gravity flipper. Correct?

I have a hell of a time opening my magnetic flipper. Once it is open it functions flawlessly. When I've used it set "hot & dirty," the effect kills. But I've yet to be able to set up on the fly. But even Luis Piedrahita has shifty nanoseconds in his routines Smile

IMO, having your audience "not notice" is important, but having "out of frame" observers not notice is just another aspect of watching your angles. Or am I being ridiculous?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
You're using the second coin to open the magnetic flipper yes?
Works pretty straightforward for me.
If that's not making sense PM me.
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
The 2nd coin works but not consistently even with proper alignment.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2020, griz326 wrote:
The 2nd coin works but not consistently even with proper alignment.

That sounds like there's a problem.
The magnetic forces on mine make it pop right open. Be sure you're holding the flipper by the edges... Don't want your fingers to be holding it closed.
Any chance the flipper shell is either dinged or has some dirt/muck along the inside? That could make it stick.
Jxb1989
View Profile
New user
USA
49 Posts

Profile of Jxb1989
I personally would take the shim out. Having a "locking" flipper is less (in my opinion) versatile than a gravity flipper that doesn't "lock"
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
If I can find a clean way to set up the set would be perfect.
Still working on it and getting closer to a solution.
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
I've finally got it working to my satisfaction. It's a bit knacky, but with more practice, I think that it will work nicely.
webtech
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of webtech
Troy Hooser is an absolut master with the flipper coin. He has a few DVDs out there. Check him out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » The MOVE for a magnetic, locking flipper coin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL