The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Web Worlds scariest magic trick???? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Zeldaboy1111
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Zeldaboy1111
Is "The Web" really the world's scariest magic trick. What do you think? Also is it easy to perform? Smile
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2874 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I don't think that The Web is Bizarre Magick. I think that it is more of a gag than anything else. Yes, technically, it is easy to perform. No, it is not easy to present.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6141 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I guess it depends if you perform on someone who has arachniphobia. But then again someone might have a dreaded fear of spongy things so don't do your favorite Goshman routine on them.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2874 Posts

Profile of dpe666
A person with Arachniphobia is the PERFECT person to do this trick on! Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
The Web may not be the world's scariest trick but it's certainly in the running for the world's dorkiest! Smile
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Once again Peter, your words prove profound Smile

There are three "Effects" in particular I would deem as the most frightening (when done right), each of which are major illusions -- the Cremation, Buzz Saw, and Impalement.

There is an auditory effect (kindof... not really audible, but involves the translation of sound) I know of, created by Bizarrest Ron Brashear that, according to the tales told, made Max Maven jump, turn much more pale than normal and even stammer a bit... this item is sold by invitation only for around $60k last I heard (please don't ask me for details.)
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Quote:
On 2002-07-24 00:52, dpe666 wrote:
A person with Arachniphobia is the PERFECT person to do this trick on! Smile

I wonder if sentiments like this are why magicians have such a bad rep with the lay public. Scaring the living s**t out of people with a magic trick like that isn't exactly a way to make a good impression. Yes, in bizarre we like to play with people's fears, but to a limit. Putting a spider on the back of the hand of somebody with arachnophobia is going a bit too far.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4097 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
The most frightening effect is me performing the Hippity Hop Rabbits.

:evilgrin:
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2874 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I was kidding Andy Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6141 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2002-07-24 17:33, Philemon wrote:
The most frightening effect is me performing the Hippity Hop Rabbits.

If you also did them while wearing a sequin outfit and heels, well, I would never be able to sleep again.
Greg Smile Smile
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Quote:
On 2002-07-24 18:32, dpe666 wrote:
I was kidding Andy Smile

I kinda hoped so, but not everybody reading this would realize that, and all we need is one person to think, "Hey, that's a great idea!" and go do it :o1
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4097 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On 2002-07-24 18:59, Greg Arce wrote:
If you also did them while wearing a sequin outfit and heels, well, I would never be able to sleep again.

How did you know?

Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2976 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
I've got to say it: if you want to scare somebody, you need to personally involve them. Just look at the difference between a seances and that other mainstay of scare-lovers everywhere, haunted house attractions.

Seance: a personal experience. You're at a table in a small group of people. The small room is closed (and may never open, if this thing gets out of control). You're holding hands with people you don't know (if this is a commercial seance). You're actively trying to invoke spirits of the departed. And you're wrapped in absolute and unrelenting darkness.

Haunted house: a more impersonal experience. You're part of a line that just keeps going -- you saw the other end of it, so you know people come out just fine. You're herded through a maze of open rooms, so there's no sense of claustrophobia. From time to time, things jump out at you (good for a couple of jolts) or you watch dioramas of traditional horror tableaus (interesting, but not scary).

As a magick performer, I don't think you can get much more frightening than the atmosphere you control in a seance. (The only other situation where you could command that level of control would be at private reading, but that isn't the responsible place for such things.)

What's the scariest single magick effect to do in a seance setting? In my experience, it would have to be the chestnut of having the name of somebody's dearly departed, although unknown to you, appear before the audience member. Where it appears (your arm, somebody else's, an index card) and in what form (blood, welts, ashes) is entirely immaterial. Yes, it's technically simple, and been around forever, but it is pure audience involvement -- it's their loved one's name, they didn't say it, you couldn't know it, and here it is.

Done effectively, it packs the emotional power of a hammer.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Seance
View Profile
Veteran user
Talking on the other side with
383 Posts

Profile of Seance
Necromancer
You've hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. The difference between giving a scare at a seance versus "The Web" is that in the former, you are frightening the whole audience at a time which means whatever happens, happens to all of them at the same time. The latter is meant to frighten the individual at the expense of the rest of the audience. I personally have never seen the advantage of humiliating an audience member in front of the rest of the audience. It just doesn't sit well with me. I have only done "The Web" for my immediate family, whom I know do not have arachniphobia, so it is a little better in my mind. I will never do it in a commercial setting.
Just my $0.04 - (inflation, y'know)
"Even the dead tell stories."
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2976 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
On second thought, perhaps I answered too hastily.

Philemon's presentation of Hippity Hop Rabbits might be scarier. Especially when he gets into the whole "infected rodents spreading the Black Plague throughout Europe" patter line.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Shenaniganz
View Profile
New user
Cypress, CA
100 Posts

Profile of Shenaniganz
Quote:
On 2002-07-23 19:41, Zeldaboy1111 wrote:
Is "The Web" really the world's scariest magic trick. What do you think? Also is it easy to perform?

Its not the scariest- It might be one of the most startling. Yes it is easy to execute. The performing part depends on you.

So many magi are turned off by this effect. I have only ***** off one guy with this. (and I wasnt doing it to him-it was his girlfriend who hit him in the crotch trying to shake the spider off her hand) I think it depends on how and who you present it to. There is always a good way and a bad way to show anything. I dont like sucker effects- well... I dont like to make people look or feel stupid. I believe that makes you look like an ***. You have to have the right personality, and attitude. Sponge balls could make people feel dumb or embarassed when played a certain way, but if you do it right its a very magical and enjoyable experience.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I have heard of sitters actually having heart attacks at seances. One Bizarrist I spoke to told me that he ended the show with a loud pyrotechnic, and a bright flash. He got everyone to bow their heads inmemory of all the loved ones that had passed. According to him the atmosphere was really intense and just at the right moment he fired off the finishing touch. Now I could imagine with all the emotional stuff going on and the sudden noise and flash, someone could easily have a heart attack. I'm not sure if this is taking things to far?
Hoelderlin
View Profile
Regular user
Turin, italy
112 Posts

Profile of Hoelderlin
In another forum someone told that he uses The Raven to instantaneously change a metallic scrabble with a real bug (but this is sadomagic more than bizarre Smile ). I would never be able to perform this trick, because, before the magician must palm the beetle. Brr!
Hölderlin (Massimo Manca) - Circolo Amici della Magia - Turin - Italy.
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
I don't use the web to be scary all that much, because once the shock of the spider being there is gone, then what? Smile

Instead I use mine as comedy. I have the spider appear on MY hand, I freak and shake him off, only to have him bounce off the ground, get a little mad at being mistaken for a basketball, and lunge back onto my body trying to "attack me." The result being something from a Chris Farley movie with me trying to crush the little running, biting spider with my fists, rolling on the ground, and inflicting more pain on myself then sitting through a 10 hour Teletubbie marathon. Smile Smile

This gets mixed reactions from the spectators, one reaction is to jump at the sight of the spider, and the loud scream from me. The second is breaking down into hysterics while thinking that any moment the people from the insane asylum will be here to take me home. I got the moment of surprise/fear I was looking for at the beginning, and I made them laugh which is the bottom line of what I want to accomplish on almost 80% of the magic I perform.

Note: I use 2 spiders instead of one, and neither is hurt in assisting with the routine. Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
openatlast
View Profile
New user
Shadow of the Castle
74 Posts

Profile of openatlast
I think The Web is a practical joke not a professional magic trick. I would NEVER perform this on someone I didn't know and only after I determined they were good sports. This is a gottcha effect lacking any emotional involvement, but fun to pull on the annoying brother-in-law.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Web Worlds scariest magic trick???? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL