The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » LF 5inch or bigger Zombie Ball (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2020, freakshowjim wrote:
I don’t know where to post this ... but recently I have been researching wonders works on the zombie and the normal zombie caught my interest, it’s more versatile and and more practical.. I especially like al Schneider’s routine and am planning to buy his DVD and a zombie ball to play with... out of curiosity what is the best stick to get? And difference?

If you want to do Al Schneider's routine , his routine uses a standard Zombie ball and standard gimmick (with a slight curve given to the gimmick). In addition to his video, his booklet "Al Schneider on Zombie" is worth getting. The older hardbound edition of the book is out-of-print (but occasionally shows up for sale on used magic sites and eBay) , however you can purchase an e-book edition directly from Al Schneider (he sells via Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Al-Schneider/dp/1478253436/) .

Personally, I prefer Dirk Losander's variation on the gimmick , which reduces strain from the weight of the ball. Losander teaches his routine and shows how his gimmick is configured on his video: The Zombie Routine . (it is not very difficult to adapt a standard zombie gimmick to the Losander zombie gimmick, which is also curved. The first example I can find in print of someone using a curved gimmick is the Will Ayling routine described in Lewis Ganson's "Zombie Ball Teach-In" book, which was originally released by Supreme Magic in 1977 , now available as an e-Book from Lybrary.com l

Another type of gimmick that reduces strain is a two-fingered version, such as the one sold by the Sterlini Magic Co.

The FAB Magic Co. zombie is pretty good. It is lightweight. Some people don't care for the lightweight metallic-looking plastic balls, but from 6 ft. - 8 ft. away (or more) I don't think anyone can really tell the difference between a plated plastic ball and a metal ball. (some people here on the Café will vehemently disagree about that and will tell you differently.)

The general consensus is that the best looking , affordably priced metal Zombie ball available is the one imported from Italy by Viking Magic. They don't always have it in stock, so check with them first to see if they have it.

If you want to pay a lot more money , the Rings-n-Things Z-ball is considered a very good ball.

freakshowjim
View Profile
New user
singapore
66 Posts

Profile of freakshowjim
Wow thanks David.. those are very helpful advice. I actually own losanders bubble zombie but didn’t really get to perform it due to wind .. that’s why I am researching on the std ones.. humm curved gimmick you say.. so is it something I can buy? Or I need to modify myself?
freakshowjim
View Profile
New user
singapore
66 Posts

Profile of freakshowjim
Ok I’ve decided .. I’ll go buy losanders video and the greatest magic series download(as al Schneider is being featured) ... maybe look for the book as well
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2020, freakshowjim wrote:
I actually own losanders bubble zombie but didn’t really get to perform it due to wind .. that’s why I am researching on the std ones..
humm curved gimmick you say.. so is it something I can buy? Or I need to modify myself?

Losander's version is easily modified from a standard gimmick. The main difference with Losander's is how your hand controls it.
(it's not like a "ring" on the standard gimmick , if you know what I mean ...) . If you get his Zombie routine video you'll see. But you have his Bubble so you know how the end of that is shaped, right ? It's the same design for the gimmick used in his Zombie ball routine, except the gimmick is not permanently attached to the ball.
freakshowjim
View Profile
New user
singapore
66 Posts

Profile of freakshowjim
Yes I’m aware of the advantage of a curved gimmick.. I need to see the video to see if it limits the movements like appearing between the legs and sticking on the elbow(jimmy fingers), well .. I’ll just wait for the product to come in first then play with it a bit to see how it goes.. thanks for the tips, you’ve been a great help
freakshowjim
View Profile
New user
singapore
66 Posts

Profile of freakshowjim
Zombie and the floating ball is so fun😆 not much DVDs just text.. a lot of room for exploring, I’ll also be buying the zombira to see if the finale is suitable for my shows... or maybe this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81QclWVOL8I&feature=share
I don’t know what this is but I think I got a rough idea of what the hookups like .. anyone knows where is this method Can be found? Any books to refer to?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Freakshowjim, a few years back, I and others have discussed that little girl's floating ball routine in the secret section. If I remember correctly that routine is by an English magician and shop owner in England. I believe he even published a booklet on it. I will have to search and see if I can find the discussion.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Freakshowjim,

The little girl was performing a version of Mike Danata's Floating Golden Stick routine, just using a ball instead of a stick.

https://www.lybrary.com/floating-golden-stick-p-271046.html

I could not find the posts me and another member had back in 2013 or 2014. Wish I could because I did a lot of experimenting back them with the ball.

Here is Mike Danata performing his floating ball routine, using the same method an hookup as his Mike Danata's Floating Golden Stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCIMX8SpdfU

https://www.lybrary.com/floating-golden-stick-p-271046.html

You will have to modify your ball, and find a hoop and hoop holder along with a table. Looks like mike used a large embroidery hoop.
freakshowjim
View Profile
New user
singapore
66 Posts

Profile of freakshowjim
Oh wow! Thanks .. this means a lot to me, I’m a sucker for the classics.. material for floating ball is REALLY hard to find especially if it’s one without the use of theatre and controlled by one man
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Freakshowjim,

You might want to look into Finn Jon’s one person floating ball.
It has a lot of advantages: can be done in bright light, no rigging of a theatre, minimal cost.

Look on YouTube for video clips and then buy his dvd set which teaches the fundamentals.
I am currently adapting it myself... and find his version is a very good starting point.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Freakshowjim, Here is another video of a young girl performing the floating ball using the Mike Danata Floating Stick method. Don't know if it is the same little girl at an older age.

freakshowjim
View Profile
New user
singapore
66 Posts

Profile of freakshowjim
This lady really did quite a good job, Danata’s hookup really have quite a bit of movements, I especially like it because it’s done with a hoop
Jneal Finn Jon you say.. the routine with a cane .. mmm that looks good too. Looks practical
freakshowjim
View Profile
New user
singapore
66 Posts

Profile of freakshowjim
I just received the instructions to jimmy fingers zombira .. wow!!!! Amazing idea!!! There is NO prior preparations!! No complicated hookups. I highly recommend it if you are doing the zombie.. am still very excited to receive the product, can’t wait for it to arrive to play with it
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2020, freakshowjim wrote:
I just received the instructions to jimmy fingers zombira .. wow!!!! Amazing idea!!! There is NO prior preparations!! No complicated hookups. I highly recommend it if you are doing the zombie.. am still very excited to receive the product, can’t wait for it to arrive to play with it

I can't believe that more people don't make their own zombie ball creations. Easier than ever with the plastic Mylar options.

I've been working tables for tips in restaurants, and Zombira let's me know which tables are open to receiving wonder. I walk through the restaurant with the ball floating above my outstretched hands, and anyone without their face buried in a cell phone is floored! Zombira pays my rent, literally.

For stage shows, I do my zombie routine, vanish the zombie to transition over to the zombira, and the ball floating over my outstretched, upwardly reaching hands closes the deal.

If I thought that there was an adequate market for it,I would put together A deluxe package with a regular zombie and zombira to match.I

Jimmy
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On May 19, 2021, magic4545 wrote:
I can't believe that more people don't make their own zombie ball creations. Easier than ever with the plastic Mylar options.

Have you found a good source for plastic/mylar "chrome plated" balls that don't have the ugly seam ?

A few years ago a company called G & L Magic put out a "New Generation Zombie Ball" that was a one-piece ball , no seam . It was only available for a short time and I missed it. A couple of these "New Generation Zombie Balls" have shown up on eBay , but I didn't win the auction either time. Somehow G & L sourced (or had manufactured) a seamless plastic ball that was chrome plated. Apparently it was very light weight , too.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
From the stage, or even club/parlor distance, the seam is not visible. It can't be discerned from the line of a reflected object.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
A few years ago a company called G & L Magic put out a "New Generation Zombie Ball" that was a one-piece ball, no seam. It was only available for a short time and I missed it.

They are listed for sale at Midwest Magic
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Fab Magic in Colon Michigan advertises a 6.5 inch Zombie they call Jumbo Dream Zombie. Comes with the 2 finger gimmick and cloth. This is a silver light weight ball like the other's discussed above.

https://fabmagic.com/shop/ols/products/j......ie-fab-6

Guys, it's your ability to act, that makes the Zombie so believable.
If you believe, your audience will believe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » LF 5inch or bigger Zombie Ball (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL