The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The effect of exposure (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have never worried about exposure.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
Perhaps it hurts them to talk about it. The Vietnam veterans were the last ones to bring up the topic of Vietnam. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8671 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On May 11, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On May 10, 2020, tommy wrote:
Professional magicians rarely use the term trick in their patter. The word trick is a technical term which essentially means the secret method or device and is primarily used when talking shop.

Yea I'm not sure this is right. The method is the method, gaffes and gimmicks come to mind for the devices. I've never really used the word trick in this fashion you suggest.

Laymen use the word trick all the time however.

I could be way off.

I agree with Danny here, though I am not a professional in the way he is.

Yes, the concept of magic includes the idea of there being a "trick" involved, i.e. something the performer knows that the observer does not.
Many magic books includes puzzles and mental games only solvable if a person knows the trick. Spectators may cry, "Show me the trick,"
that is not a desire to learn how to perform it, only to discover the secret part that allowed them to be mystified/surprised.

Usually they are disappointed in learning it - or the offered explanation. If an explanation is given it need not be the real one at all.
Consider the sucker effects in which an exposure is provided or allowed as a mistake. Then the observer is set up for a greater surprise.

but, there is little advantage to a performer to refer to "trick" either as the secret or what came in the package - unless it is to set up the observers.

Jeff McBride may start of his show by explaining a trick. He used the "finger sausage" illusion the last time I saw him. It is a trick. It is not magic.
The, when everyone is busy playing with their fingers before their eyes, he lays his little sausage on the table. He is now established as a magician.
The work "trick" is never used again, nor any effect named. He just does things.

Magicians do not "do tricks" - they create conditions under which magic can occur in the mind of the observer.

It is accepted that some secret knowledge is involved - to remove fear if nothing else. There is nothing to expose except mechanics and devices that are no the real secrets at all.

At the end of any children's show I like to gift away packets of Adair's Butterfly. It can be performed by anyone and has a trick to it - a scientific principle.
It also touches on a greater magic of metamorphosis. Any ideas that I used tricks in my show is quickly forgotten.

What have I exposed?

The sadness is that anyone can easily "do tricks" while learning to perform effects is more difficult and leaving an audience with "must be magic" quite difficult.
With the ready exposure of the YouTube variety, many are attracted to performing magic for the wrong reason and stop with the "tricks" - never realizing the real secrets.

just opinions, of course. But in the tens of thousands of times I used a magic effect with business owners as part of a presentation or evaluation,
only a hand full asked, "what is the trick?" Those usually had a favorite trick they wanted to show me.

Most reacted with, "Oh, I have been looking at my problems the wrong way," or "Maybe my situation is not impossible to solve."

When performing for entertainment as Danny does the expectations of the audience is different, and tuning into that may be the greatest trick of all.

I choose not to perform that way any more since I am not very good at reading today's audiences. I don't what to expose my limitations.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
Some professional magicians have never created a new trick in their life. Therefore, then, exposure of the tricks these magicians use does not violate their intellectual property rights but violates the intellectual property rights of the creators of them tricks. To the creators, exposure is like copying somebodies invention and giving it away or something like that. Some of the best creators did not perform as professionals but made a profit selling their tricks to those who did.

Now all the old creators are dead and gone having died from the effect of exposure. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Once it is sold any complaint of exposure really is silly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
All that is hidden will be revealed, by the creator who needs the money. Smile

Tommy
balbec
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of balbec
I understand there is a big controversy there, but come on, it has to be said... without some sort of exposure, there would not be any professionnal magician and probably no serious amator.

Exposure is the teaser that get child, teens and grow up interested in learning more. It makes them watch more than a couple of show, learn about the magician, then the arts, buy the books, the tools, the booklet and so on...

This should be obvious since any creative industy, from music to painting to sport, rely on the same information diffusion mecanism : top pros -> pros -> core fans -> fans -> general public. The core fans need to know more than the simple fans, who need to know more than the public, so they can educate and promote what there are doing. In magic, there would be no amateur magicians, no interested people... and then.... no public, if there were not a constant stream of exposure from one population to the other.

Want to promote magic? I mean, not individually, but as a community? Then let people know more, learn more, let them learn more about the DL, let them try it at home, and go from there to serious books and to deeper secrets without building walls everywhere. If millions of people were interested in knowing the last version of the KM, then books would sell more, great magician would be more famous, magic as a whole would get more attention.... and so on. Magic is large enough, deep enough, interesting enough not to worry about openess or exposure. New ideas will still be there, provided people are willing to see them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The effect of exposure (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL