The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The effect of exposure (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2021, tommy wrote:
An actor once played me and so I must be a character.

Lol… that might be true depending on where they saw you! Channing Tatum played me in a film and I assure you it was based off me as a real person. Just depends on the situation I guess.
Ray Pierce
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I think that in the audience's mind, every performer is a character. They will assume things and make judgements about the performer based on their prior experiences and prejudices. The performer either takes control of how his character is portrayed, or not. The backstory and motivations the audience will create for the magician may not be the one the performer would prefer.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:
I'm just using your Greg Brady exact words standard is all and applying it to you the way you do to everyone else.

Wow, dude, you are flat out losing it.

1. It’s YOUR Greg Brady statement. You made a clear definitive blanket statement, which now admit was inaccurate, by using the definitive “can’t”. But to try and wiggle out of being flat out wrong you are attempting to blame others, distort what you said, distort what others said, and dilute your incorrect blanket statement.

2. I have not applied any statement here in this thread to “everyone else”. I have merely pointed out one can, and some do, credit the creators of the things they perform. The examples are trickling in from others, so you are in spin mode to lessen the sting of being wrong when you said, “It can’t be done.”

3. Your absolutely absurd claim that if one credits one part, one must credit all parts shows how tenuous your position was... before it collapsed.
Spin away Danny.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2021, George Ledo wrote:
But maybe I should have been clearer: I was asking about magicians giving credit.

I would say the same, but I WAS perfectly clear. I won’t be spoon feeding anyone here. If you look for the examples you will find them.

If you look for examples to the opposite, you will find that, too. The latter does not disqualify nor diminish the prior.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2021, tommy wrote:
An actor once played me and so I must be a character.

Tommy, you need no confirmation to your being a character. Smile
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2021, Ray Pierce wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2021, Tom Cutts wrote:
Sadly the reality is 99% of those calling themselves “magicians” don’t have what it takes to be that actor. Instead they follow the easy advice of “be a version of yourself” which even that they dilute down to, “I’m just me, a guy who does some tricks.“
Unfortunately, such wonderful aspirations have little place in the reality of the situation.

I agree with your 99% qualifier but as someone who got my Equity card at 13 and have acted professionally my entire life in everything from Sondheim to Mamet, I have the technical ability and requisite skill to play a “character” on stage. I simply choose not to most of the time. Yes, I have a Charlie Chaplin segment, a Mission: Impossible routine and a Pirate scene among others where I am specifically lifting the 4th wall to create a certain feel for those scenes in a full evening show as it expands the breadth of their experience. On the other hand, I never start a show with those but as myself as I want the audiences to connect with me, not a character. Yes, even when I’m “myself” as a personality and not a character on stage, there is a huge amount of acting involved in creating the illusion of spontaneity in something I have done for 40 years and other elements which require acting for certain misdirective elements. If you look at the most popular stars in the industry, they have achieved that status largely due to their personality and not the characters they might or might not have played. Yes, this is a choice. I know many “character acts” which are very successful. My choices are based on experience and a life long study of the entertainment industry as a whole… not my need to “dilute” anything.

Ray, that is a lot of words to say “I’m not just some guy doing tricks.”
Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2021, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:
I'm just using your Greg Brady exact words standard is all and applying it to you the way you do to everyone else.

Wow, dude, you are flat out losing it.

1. It’s YOUR Greg Brady statement. You made a clear definitive blanket statement, which now admit was inaccurate, by using the definitive “can’t”. But to try and wiggle out of being flat out wrong you are attempting to blame others, distort what you said, distort what others said, and dilute your incorrect blanket statement.

2. I have not applied any statement here in this thread to “everyone else”. I have merely pointed out one can, and some do, credit the creators of the things they perform. The examples are trickling in from others, so you are in spin mode to lessen the sting of being wrong when you said, “It can’t be done.”

3. Your absolutely absurd claim that if one credits one part, one must credit all parts shows how tenuous your position was... before it collapsed.
Spin away Danny.

Just like your claim about how musicians credit.

And no spin. I have an ability to correct an incorrect statement. Which I have several times in this thread.

Nothing collapsed. You decide to nit pick, which is cool. I backed it up and said blanket statements shouldn't be used.

I guess we use dissent definitions of spinning. Admitting it was not correct, and correcting it does not fit my definition. Your mileage may vary.

And while it was my statement it is your standard. See the difference
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
"The egos shine like lightbulbs, so bright you cannot see them,
Blind each other blinder than a sandbox.
All the fury of an argument, holding back their yawns,
A challenge shakes the chandeliers, the sophist swords are drawn.
To the loser go the hang-ups, to the victor go the hangers on..."

~Phil Ochs
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:

See, that’s once again more Danny being wrong. It’s NOT my standard. YOU made an exacting definitive INCORRECT statement and now you are busy trying to divert your own guilt from that by trying to frame someone else for something they didn’t do. There was NOTHING vague or grey or in any way imprecise about what you said. Your attempts to prove your falsehood with links show the exactingness of your then conviction to your what you said. The EXACTINGNESS is all YOU, but now you can’t own it.

But you’ll keep trying to argue and deflect blame to wiggle out this. Spin away. Spin away.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2021, Pop Haydn wrote:
"The egos shine like lightbulbs, so bright you cannot see them,
Blind each other blinder than a sandbox.
All the fury of an argument, holding back their yawns,
A challenge shakes the chandeliers, the sophist swords are drawn.
To the loser go the hang-ups, to the victor go the hangers on..."

~Phil Ochs

Yea this.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2021, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:

See, that’s once again more Danny being wrong. It’s NOT my standard. YOU made an exacting definitive INCORRECT statement and now you are busy trying to divert your own guilt from that by trying to frame someone else for something they didn’t do. There was NOTHING vague or grey or in any way imprecise about what you said. Your attempts to prove your falsehood with links show the exactingness of your then conviction to your what you said. The EXACTINGNESS is all YOU, but now you can’t own it.

But you’ll keep trying to argue and deflect blame to wiggle out this. Spin away. Spin away.

How did one spin when he admitted he misspoke exactly?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2021, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:

How did one spin when he admitted he misspoke exactly?

By deflecting. You see, a real admission would be “I screwed up and shouldn’t have made a definitive statement.”... and then shut up. But in your world you have to salve that wound so you get all riled up about some “exact words” delusion you had and you keep spinning that and spinning that in the hopes it gets traction.

It is the classic ploy of “Yeah I lied but...”. Not that you “lied”, that is just the most crystal clear use of it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Whatever. Not much deflection happening. If you choose to see things as such Pop is dead on right.

What a shame. I think the typed word removes a lot of context.

But if armature psychology makes you happy have at it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Searching for something of value in thee recent post related to the them of this thread ...

if lying and the detection of lies and the projection of what is a lie is critical to communication - and magic,
how is exposure in any form a problem when those in the audience may be more adept at lying than the performer?

Many/most each day wallow in multiple persona at work, school, home and on the Internet.
They lie to their boss, accountant, spouse and neighbors - and therefor assume that everyone else must be lying too.

Every statement that starts off positioning oneself by putting someone else down is based on a lie. Bullying? Hardly based on truth.
They are exposed to marketing lies, robo-call lies, and superstition driven drivel in the form of 'news', conspiracy theory, etc.
Heuristic fallacy is bucket list of "I ain't tried that yet," with little concern over rational congruency or certitude.

So, how does a typical audience member view what a mystic arts performer does? Most probably as a lie - every word, story and action.
Thus, when a 'secret' is revealed why should they consider that to be true? Some of their entertainment comes from having their own lying practices validated.

Of course, none of these thoughts should be taken to actually represent what I think or feel about lying or the importance of integrity in life.
I am just expressing mused thoughts prompted by this thread - for entertainment.

Danny and Tom have exposed themselves to some degree, but I would never pretend that their words here actually represent what they feel about exposure in performance magic.
Therein lies a problem. (pun) I once thought I might enjoy seeing Danny perform and hoped Tom might share any magic effect he has ever performed. Sigh!

Now I think I will just teach the kid next door a trick or two and the value of secrets and honesty in performing.
and talking to trees. They never lie to me.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Exposure is a catastrophe, which transforms a magic effect into a drama.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dramatic_s......text.svg

Note that unlike drama magic provides no explanation after the climax.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
Will likes to post so he has made
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
Bit older thread, I'm late to the discussion, and I'm not sure where exactly my thoughts put me in this debate...

If we get out of our heads and think a little more simply (or maybe realistically), direct exposure does ruin the illusion of magic. Most people do not believe that real magic exists; but what can exist, and what we strive to create, is the illusion of magic in the spectators mind. And directly exposing the howiediddits ruins that illusion, which can drastically or completely ruin the entertainment value.

If I tell the spectator to pick a card and loose it in the deck, but that I'm going to find their card using a key card, the illusion of magic is ruined. I could still make it entertaining by being really funny or dramatic or skillful, but at that point it's no longer entertainment through magic but entertainment through comedy (or drama or skill or whatever). Penn and Teller's Cup and Balls is an example of this.

But I think we should differentiate direct exposure, which is what I've been talking about, from wide-spread exposure, which is exposure that we think is collectively known by most laypeople. The trick that started this thread, Timeline, I hadn't heard of until browsing today. What we think is widespread knowledge... probably isn't. And what actually is widespread knowledge, could be re-worked or re-framed to be just as magical.

TT's and IT are probably two of the most well-known gimmicks to laypeople. Yet they can still work in environments where people know they exist. Smoothini's performance on AGT is an example of this. Sometimes it's as simple as changing what vanishes. Maybe change what floats. Maybe borrow what floats. Maybe borrow what vanishes. Maybe all you need to do is change the color of the scarf from red to yellow.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Think way back. Most laymen know about marked cards, even when it was for cheating at cards not tricks, but they know. Also, most know about palming. When they watch a magician, they are at least partly looking for what could be marked cards and/or palming. Most new card tricks weave into their handling a kind of dis-proof that marks or palming could be the secret...and then try to get beyond that.
But, to this day I am annoyed when a gaff is simply displayed at a magic shop. A lot of people wander in, never buy anything, etc. Yet they go away having seen a thumb tip laying there, a key ring laying there, a billiard ball shell laying there. That kind of thing sticks with people. I hate it.
Yet, one can go the route of not using gaffs or store-bought tricks, and learn skill and become a purist. They'll still think it went up your sleeve when it didn't - the secret to that is work with your sleeves pushed up like several of the great names in history. I did the regular old cups and balls and a scientist in the audience told me after the show there must be trap doors in the cups. At a sorority party, the young ladies tore my table apart looking for hidden magnets as if that would explain my card and coin and small ball tricks.
Well, good luck to us all. And, have a nice day.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Thanks to all for this fun thread. I've been thinking about the use of gimmicks more lately because of the passing of Harry Lorayne (who specialized in the borrowed deck). Anyhow, not being anti-gimmick, I read the advertisment for an effect on a magic site: "gimmick does all the work". I don't think that's true, especially for the magician. Even with something like an invisible deck, it really makes a difference in the manner (even if you know the gimmick) how the deck is produced in reality. Likewise, there are many different effects possible other than producing a hanky using a TT. Finally, it sometimes amazes me to sometimes find that an effect was in fact performed with a gimmick. Lynn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The effect of exposure (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL