The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » One hand coin vanish (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3793 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Here is a little move I have been doing for 50 years. Not easy to do, but as a throwaway and a quickie it's startling. If you make it seem important it will become "movey". All in the presentation.
https://youtu.be/XG9P5GIzQQY
First edition sold out in RECORD TIME, but don't despair, you can still get your signed copy and special FREE GIFT ( only available when you order from me)!! Taking pre-orders NOW!! Second printing shipping in one week, so don't wait!!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! To pre-order, email me at rubinsteindvm@aol.com for info.
ORDER YOURS TODAY!!
Clément L.
View Profile
New user
switzerland
5 Posts

Profile of Clément L.
Nicely done as always.
I was wondering how the perspectives are if the spectator is standing in front of you and not looking directly onto your hand (from above)?
Thanks for sharing
Clément
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
514 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Beautiful, simple, and fooling

Thank you Mike!
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3793 Posts

The move is designed to have the person standing up in front and looking down. Attention to angles when they are further away. If you have to put your arm out to the side and perform the move, it looks like stage manipulation. The first take is done like that for demonstration purposes only.
First edition sold out in RECORD TIME, but don't despair, you can still get your signed copy and special FREE GIFT ( only available when you order from me)!! Taking pre-orders NOW!! Second printing shipping in one week, so don't wait!!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! To pre-order, email me at rubinsteindvm@aol.com for info.
ORDER YOURS TODAY!!
draupnir
View Profile
New user
Texas
51 Posts

Profile of draupnir
I love it! Thanks for sharing this with us Michael!
Smooth Criminal
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Smooth Criminal
Is it OK if I post this on my FB page and ask my lay people friends to guess what happens to the coin?

I know you're really respected and stuff, but it's just obvious to me what you're doing. I'd love to see lay people's reactions...
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3793 Posts

You see, that is exactly what you should NOT do. The purpose of showing a move on video is to demonstrate the move to magicians, not to invite conjecture as to how a move is done. And that goes for ANY move. What makes the move look like magic is 1. The element of surprise, 2. The casual way it is presented, and 3. What you follow with.The stage magicians who show both sides of their hands empty and produce cards, or coins as in the case of Downs, are demonstrating ability, not magic. Every spectator knows that. If you say to anyone, watch me as I can make the coin vanish here, and nothing on the other side, you are just challenging your spectator and belittling yourself. If you want to perform magic, don't say anything. You close your hand, vanish the coin, and move on. Important rule in magic from Vernon - Don't make unimportant things important. I hope you understand this.
ORDER YOURS TODAY!!
Smooth Criminal
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Quote:
On May 12, 2020, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
You see, that is exactly what you should NOT do. The purpose of showing a move on video is to demonstrate the move to magicians, not to invite conjecture as to how a move is done. And that goes for ANY move. What makes the move look like magic is 1. The element of surprise, 2. The casual way it is presented, and 3. What you follow with.The stage magicians who show both sides of their hands empty and produce cards, or coins as in the case of Downs, are demonstrating ability, not magic. Every spectator knows that. If you say to anyone, watch me as I can make the coin vanish here, and nothing on the other side, you are just challenging your spectator and belittling yourself. If you want to perform magic, don't say anything. You close your hand, vanish the coin, and move on. Important rule in magic from Vernon - Don't make unimportant things important. I hope you understand this.

Fair enough, I won't then.

Im just not sure anyone would be fooled by it, maybe it plays differently IRL, but on video, the only conclusion to come to is exactly what you;'re doing.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3793 Posts

Ok, here is how it is used. You borrow a quarter, vanish it in this way, produce it from the other hand, and return the quarter. All I can say is that a move is just a move. It's what you do with it that makes it seem like magic.
ORDER YOURS TODAY!!
Smooth Criminal
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Quote:
On May 12, 2020, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
Ok, here is how it is used. You borrow a quarter, vanish it in this way, produce it from the other hand, and return the quarter. All I can say is that a move is just a move. It's what you do with it that makes it seem like magic.

Sure. I just guess it falls into my main issue with most coin magic. What you're doing looks exactly like what you're doing.

But as you don't want me to post it on social media, I guess you know that.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3793 Posts

Sorry, but anything done out of place will look out of place. You can perform a fantastic retention pass and post it on social media, but if you just study a pass that has no followup you will simply conclude that it is in the other hand. You have taken something out of context of a routine and challenging your audience to study it and think about where the coin is. That is not the purpose of a move as I have already explained. Remember, surprise, How you present, and where you go afterwards. When you perform a trick or routine you don't stop in the middle and let the spectators talk about what you did or didn't do. If they start going there, then the routine did not follow those rules. You can dissect any YouTube video and make those assumptions, but that is not the intent of the performance. It is to create the illusion of magic, not to create a challenge to figure out what was done.A video has no misdirection, no feel of watching a live performance. Otherwise, just get a scotch and soda or a flipper and forget that the art of magic comes from not just deception, but the knowledge on how to deceive. You can watch Penn and Teller Fool us, then go on YouTube and find the performance. Watch how each performance is taken apart by people who watch several times in slow motion and post how the trick is done. They would not have seen all the things they write about had they seen it live in proper context. It is exactly my point. Now back to this vanish. I have been doing it for 50 years, since I was a teenager. It is difficult, and only done under the right circumstances. If it didn't work, I wouldn't be doing it for 50 years. See what I wrote in the first post. I wrote that if not done in the proper context, it will look movey.
And if you still feel you must put stuff on social media for your laymen friends, just to see if they can figure it out, that says you didn't understand anything I tried to explain and there is no longer a point to this discussion.
ORDER YOURS TODAY!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » One hand coin vanish (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL