The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Tricky business Website Hosting Plans, etc, (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Im sure Im not the only one taking this time to work on websites and the online processes for my business. I have multiple websites for my businesses and am considering a few different options going forward. Im hoping to hear from others regarding what you personally use and what you reccomend.

Im currently buying and renewing domains through GoDaddy.

Im hosting and designing through Weebly.

Im using godaddy email address through Gmail, which was easy and free in the past. GoDaddy has made it more complicated, but so far its still free. They had announced they would start charging but reversed that decision during the Covid19 stuff.

Im looking at several options... hoping to cut godaddy out of the picture in the future. Also a little worried that weebly will change for the worse since they have been bought out by square. Weebly has served me well for many years.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9907 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I think the key here is to find someone who can accommodate and meet your needs, which is why I rarely take the recommendations of others, simply because their needs are likely much different than mine. If you are comfortable and knowledgable with Weebly AND they can meet your needs, that could be fine. If not search for sources that meet your needs and qualifications. However, it should be more than just cost or expense, as you should look at other areas of concern, accessibility, features of their builder, backend, resources, compatibility, etc.

I have about 32 o r33 websites and have helped many of my students and clients with probably about another hundred, and literally each are approached differently based on their individual needs and expectations. (And no, I'm talking about the 20-year-old website that many of the know-it-alls think is mine).

I've used GoDaddy for one of my sites, so I am just curious as to why you want to stay away from them?
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Regarding GoDaddy- they have continued to make little tasks more complicated. They used to include a very simple email service with your domain purchase. It was easy to forward that and / or connect it to Gmail or Apple Mail. They stopped including it but there was a workaround to still use Gmail with a custom email. They intentionally made it complicated so people would pay extra for the email service that used to be included. This year they were going to cancel the free email ability altogether but they reversed that decision when Covid19 hit. Just little things like that annoy me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you plan on finding a company that does not do things like that get ready to do a lot of service changing.

Also it amuses me when I see guys here who complain about things like this, yet use some of the exact same tactics that customers would find annoying. (Perhaps not YOU Thomas, but in general here that happens a LOT, and it is amusing to me.)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
753 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Godaddy is only good for registering the domain.

I currently have over 100 domains in the system and ONLY pay for the domains and the "domain buyers club" which saves me a ton per year.

Hosting of websites :
Low Traffic = Bluehost or Hostgator
High Traffic / Complex sites = Dedicated Servers at OVH

With hosting don't just look for CHEAP hosting. Especially if your site is part of your marketing.
If you get more than 1k ppl a day to your site you should start looking at a dedicated server.

Godaddy hosting is JUNK, we had a client site on it and once they hit 50 ppl a day the site started to do down.
Just because they say "unlimited traffic" doesn't mean they can handle unlimited traffic.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Thanks Mike... I guess Weebly is actually hosting my sites? I've heard others suggest bluehost.

Even with domain registration I'd rather pay a little more and get better service. It's extra confusing right now because godaddy adds and takes away things based on when you bought the site. So some of my sites have email and don't have privacy included and my newer sites don't have email but have privacy. But I'm paying the same for all the sites. That's my frustration with godaddy currently.

Weebly on the other hand has been great and continues to grandfather me in to a plan that I bought years ago that is a much better deal than the current plans they offer.
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
753 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Yeah, Weebly is hosting any site built with that platform..

You don't need Godaddy except for registering the domain and private registration..
You could goto hostgator and get the low end reseller hosting (gives you higher end hosting on shared server)

Godaddy is a nickle and dime company. I only use it for the domain and privacy
CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Elite user
Curtis The Mentalist
479 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
I've been using InMotion Hosting for my sites for several years. I have had some small issues in the past with them, but their customer service has always been pretty good.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Mike... why do you keep using godaddy for buying the domain? Do they have the best prices?
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of stempleton
All I can say is, stay away from Network Solutions for registering domains. They are outrageously high.
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
753 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
The Godaddy Buyers club puts .com's at around $9 a year. And they are easier to transfer in and out than Namecheap

I have over 500 domains in my account right now, and when your managing bulk Godaddy is the easiest to use.

NameCheap.com is good for less than 50
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
311 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
I was a web developer for close to 20 years, starting in the mid to late 90's. I've worked with a lot of hosting companies and domain registrars etc. I am now out of the business.

I was Hostgator reseller for quite a while and for the most part was happy there. Just before I left the biz my former partner and I did a lot of research and moved everything over to a company call A2 Hosting. I still have a reseller account there but only to host my own business sites. I'm paying around $35 per month which would be a lot for one site but since I have about a dozen it works well.

They also take care of migrating your existing sites over which is a huge plus.

I highly recommend them. The only trouble I've had was moving sites from one account on their system to another account on their system, but that has been tricky with any company I've tried to do that with.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Tricky business Website Hosting Plans, etc, (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL