The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question about Okito/Boston boxes and the like (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Verificus
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Verificus
Hello Magic Café,

This is my first post. I have been lurking here for a while but have decided to make an account after realizing how much useful information one can find here.

I'm currently considering purchasing a coin box, or coin box set and quite frankly feel overwhelmed by all the offerings there are.

I'm from Europe, so I've looked around for some custom coin box makers and found the website Magikoins, who sell a Neokito Box, which looks quite cool. Of course this is custom hand-made work and priced accordingly.

I've seen similar stuff made by the well known US gaff makers. Then there is also Buddha boxes, Tango coin boxes, something called the Duvivier box (which also look cool) and many others.

How do I make a choice in all of this? There is practically zero reviews on these products. I do know that I prefer quality over anything else and that I'd prefer a coin box set or a coin box that can do most of the routines that the individual Okito, Boston and Slot boxes can do (I read the Duvivier can do this).

I also heared there is a lot of product being sold that is commercialized (like Duvivier) that is not actually hand made by him but just affiliated to him and of lower quality.

Can anyone help me out?
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
Check out Airship Magic...I have some of their boxes and they are very good quality..
Daniel A. Day II
View Profile
New user
Apache Junction, AZ
15 Posts

Profile of Daniel A. Day II
Hey Verificus,

Welcome to the forum.

Have you already decided on a material for the box (wood, brass, etc)?

Do you have a magic shop nearby that could let you hold one?

My preference are metal ones (brass or copper) because the heft feels better in my hand. However, I started out using the plastic coin boxes that came with the magic sets.

Thanks,
Daniel
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2161 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Verificus, first welcome to the Magic Café, there is a wealth of information here indeed. Being a manufacturer of coin boxes my first question
is how familiar are you with working with one? I've only been practicing now for about 4 months. My brother Jake is the coin worker and I'm mainly
cards, but want to learn the coin box and a few other coin effects he does.

There are multiple boxes out there, the regular, boston, slot sets are mainly used for the David Roth routine, but each being unique can be used
for your own routines. The Duvier coin box you mentioned is Junk, and who ever did the remake in China did not do it any honor. If you happen to
find an authentic one, it's a work of art. The same can be said about the Buddha boxes. Chuck Leach made some beautiful ones, well balanced
and beautiful finish, but China strikes again and has bootlegged the Buddha box.

An all in one box I bought as a present for my brother was the "Opongo Box" by Juan Luis Rubiales. It comes with a DVD, very well made I might add,
the ingenious box, gimmicks and they give you the 5 real Kennedy half dollars with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwHVl1nOPYE

Hope this helps you some.

-Frederick
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
I have played with a number of Okito Boxes over the years. Here, in no particular order, are some observations that may be helpful.

Try to decide the type of box you want first. That will point you to a good manufacture.

I prefer a Boston Box for the variety of uses, and a Buddha style for the look and handling. Chazpro makes a nice Boston version(half dollar size)and also a regular Buddha box (no Boston gaff) in Eisenhower dollar size.

Some people like the Kartis Box which is a standard Okito with a different shape and balance.

Johnson Products make a good Okito boxes

The Duvivier box is designed for a very specific routine (the box becomes solid with no switch) but, as already said, the Chinese knock offs are not good. It would not a substitute for a box youu can uses in many different way.

Roy Kueppers makes nice boxes from different materials and even make a set of Boston Boxes you can do a 3 shell-type routine with.

Tango makes decent boxes, in both half dollar and dollar sizes.

Hope that helps.
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
75 Posts

Profile of bassinator
Hi, I'm new to magic myself and getting into coins so this is intriguing to me. Is there any good sources that might explain what each type of box can be used for? Or is it just specific to a certain trick that has been published in a book or otherwise?
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
Bassinator,

Bobo's Coin Magic book has a section on the Okito box and the Boston, German, and Paul Fox variations
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question about Okito/Boston boxes and the like (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL