We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Birthday parties after coronavirus lockdown (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gotgot
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of gotgot
Hello
I live in the france/switzerland area
so of course, all of my march, april and may gigs got cancelled.
now things are opening up again, and I have a few bookings for june already.

the conditions have changed and it'll mostly be outside, with social distancing and so on.

I have to change many things in my act since I used to ask the kids to come up and help (and touch things), and I had a few things involving my mouth that would be considered even more gross nowadays.

so my question is : what routines are you going to to? how do you plan to get the kids involved even from far away?
my act used to be, more or less :
- coloring book
- pick a card, it disappears, chop cup routine (a la Scott Alexander, (with the help of a child, ball through the bones and so on) ending with lemon and the card is inside. TO BE CHANGED.
- Daryl's rope routine and rope thru body
- sponge ball with the help of a child, then balls coming from my mouth. TO BE CHANGED
- hippity hop rabbit or multiplying soda bottles
- silk routine with 2 kids helping, from Johnny Ace. TO BE CHANGED.
- traveling cards from kid's pocket to another kid's pocket. TO BE CHANGED
- Tommy James' Lopsided Cyclop
- a comedy handchopper (do you think it can be done, by staying as far as possible from the child?). TO BE CHANGED
- mouth coil with a kid dancing with me and getting the paper out (it has to go away, even if I do it all by myself my hands will be considered even more untouchable after that). TO BE CHANGED
- sometimes Inject 2.0 with some eggs crushed on my head by a little one if I fail. TO BE CHANGED.
- teleporting water from cups (Scott Alexander)
- princess in a pickle (sadly it has to go away, it was a nice closer, do you have something in mind about it?). TO BE CHANGED.

that is a lot of changes for me
do you have ideas of routines that play big but don't involve coming close to kids or them touching props?

I was thinking of putting a desinsfectant gel bottle on my table and kind of as joke, using it in between each trick, and in case some kids come and help, having them use it too.

thank you!
(pleaase, no talk about politics here!)
Russo
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Russo
Die box- Alice in wonderland,hat-mad hatter -die, rabbet // Spot card -a picture of your pet -with all his family // Coin pail - wishing well, kids throw imaginary wishes // You can also use a large tumbler or glass to hold silks, instead of kids holding them, like in the 20th Century Silks, 3 pigs, 1 runs into house (vanish effect) and appears back with the 2 other pigs (that tied their tails together. and hid in glass or who/what ever holds them). HELPS ?? RR
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of noland
You might think about learning a routine with a hand puppet. There are a lot of them out there. To name just two, Terry Herbert does one with a monkey and Tommy James with a rabbit-in-hat puppet. Both are very strong, very funny routines. Neither of these requires an assistant from the audience.
I've always closed my children's shows with a comedy puppet routine (I have a couple of different ones) followed by the quick, magical production of a 36 inch message foulard (for example, "Happy Birthday" or "Happy Holidays" or simply, "The End").
gotgot
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of gotgot
Thanks for your help!
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2284 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I don't know about others but I will NOT be changing my act. I have a highly-interactive act and plan to keep it that way.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9963 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Good for you Michael.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of David French
I have to agree with Michael on this. I won't change a thing. This will pass. May take some time. But if you have the time to wait this out, great. If you need to get back out there sooner, then by all means I think you may need to change things up a bit. The world has changed things. So we will need to adapt in the short term.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Birthday parties after coronavirus lockdown (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL