The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Incarnation 2.0 by Marc Oberon (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Totally agree. I get so many packages every week my UPS man just gave me a dirty look.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Hey you guys I saw there was a post that said too bad they didn't have just the indexes for sale.I can tell you this much I found a wonderful bulldog clip at Staples. It's the 2-inch one with the extended lip and it works perfect on any playing card you do not even have to cut the card you just put it in and the way it's made it will stay in the clip you could even toss the clip when you're done and no fear of it coming out. This way if you to order this item here and want to do something different as far as the clip goes you can go to Staples and get it I think they're only about four bucks for two of them. They are perfect for switching out cards.

Good magic to all,

Eric
CMR
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of CMR
It looks like Hocus Pocus still has Incarnation 2.0 in stock.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On May 21, 2020, The great Gumbini wrote:
Hey you guys I saw there was a post that said too bad they didn't have just the indexes for sale.I can tell you this much I found a wonderful bulldog clip at Staples. It's the 2-inch one with the extended lip and it works perfect on any playing card you do not even have to cut the card you just put it in and the way it's made it will stay in the clip you could even toss the clip when you're done and no fear of it coming out. This way if you to order this item here and want to do something different as far as the clip goes you can go to Staples and get it I think they're only about four bucks for two of them. They are perfect for switching out cards.

Good magic to all,

Nice of you to let people know about this but you can’t do with that what you can do with the clip that comes with incarnation plus I don’t think I would want a big 2 inch bull dog clip stuck to the lapel or pocket of my jacket but each to there own

Eric
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2430 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On May 20, 2020, thecromulent wrote:
Quote:
On May 20, 2020, goldeneye007 wrote:
Ordered it can let you know when I get it

Please do!

All right, received it and played with it a bit.

Pros: it packs really small, the i***x works well, nothing highly innovative here imo you use one pocket only and you have everything in it.

Cons: I'm not sure I would perform it very close up... am I the only one thinking that or does the card on the clip look a bit off? On the trailers I have seen on camera you can't really see what I mean but by performing in front of the mirror I wouldn't feel comfortable having people too close to me... yes the workings of the clip are very clever, the clip doesn't make any noise and the appearance of the card and the retrieval looks exactly like on the trailers. However I was thinking performing it with the card already showing on the clip and... well... I really wouldn't do it that way. If you intend to make it appear on the clip I think it's probably be fine and you might be able to get away with it because the spectators are surprised and they only see the card for a second before you unfold it but I wouldn't let the card in full view for too long.

I had seen people complaining about the quality of the card you unfold - imo that's not really a problem it looks convincing enough to me.

So all in all it does what it's supposed to do and it's not too difficult to learn but I wouldn't perform it with the card already showing (which I was hoping to do...). For people already owning Incarnation 1.0 I haven't seen the props but I wouldn't bother getting the 2.0, the pocket i***x is fine and does its job well but I'm pretty sure that with a bit of work you could come up with your own to have in your pocket (using the cards from 1.0). Don't take this as a negative comment but from the trailers of Incarnation 1.0 I have seen there doesn't seem to be any real difference aside from having the i***x in your pocket. Up to you though but it might be a bit expensive to just get a pocket i***x, a well working one though.

For those who own Skynet for example, Skynet is much "cleaner" imo, you can give the card to the spectators at the end, you could use a bulldog clip with a card already clipped and it wouldn't arouse any suspicion but the set-up is veeery different (!), Incarnation 2.0 packs much much much smaller but that has a flip side (card can't be handed out to spectators - I don't mind that too much - and you can't really show a card clipped at the beginning imo). But if you want to perform it with the card visually appearing then it definitely works well - I just wouldn't leave that part in full view for too long.

Great effect in any case, clearly a lot of work and creativity went into it!
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Thanks for the thorough review Ben. I think that the pocket i***x is the part that I'm most interested in anyway. I have Skynet, and while it's a great system and works well, it's a bit of a hassle to get up and running. At the same time, I'm not sure that I would use the clip, as an appearing card really seems like an entirely different effect. But there are a zillion methods (mystery boxed, clips, switches) that, when combined with the pocket i***x, would let you show a card first and then show that it matches a thought-of card. That seems way more powerful than a clip the produces a folded card anyway.

Evan
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2430 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Welcome and yep totally agree! And yes Skynet is a bit of a hassle but when performed well you can't really get much more cleaner than that I think.

Well it's an i***x and it works... would I pay for the whole effect to only get that? Tough one - you could use it for other folded cards but it only works for 52 cards with the cards provided by Marc (very clever idea by the way). Again, you probably could come up with a way to have the cards in your pockets with your own system, even if you were to use two pockets (I know it's a bit easy to say that now that I have the i***x in front of me but my point is that I wouldn't say it's anything revolutionary - imagine you wanted to figure out a way to take your cards from Incarnation 1.0 and use them from your pocket you would probably come up with something similar - obviously this is well made though hence why tough one...).

And yes totally agree on your other points, hence why I was hoping to be able to show the clip with the card from the beginning but doesn't seem like I will perform it like that. What do you think about showing the card from the beginning with Incarnation - don't you feel it's a bit tricky to show it with spectators close to you? (if others can chime in as well on that point I'm curious!)
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
I don't have Incarnation 1 or 2 yet. I gather, from what you're saying, that the card in the clip won't really pass scrutiny if it's out in the open for more than a few seconds. There is that other clip that I think was mentioned here--for another $50 or so--that seems like it's built to do exactly what you're after.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2430 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Oh ok sorry thought you had the 1.0 for some reason. And yes regarding the clip, that's my opinion at least, not sure what others think.
And yes there are 2-3 clips out there that would work if you want to start with a card showing in a clip!
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
There are also some great sleight of hand switches. I love OSYN, though I'll have to see if it will worked with the revelation cards that come with this.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2430 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Oh hadn't heard about Osyn, thanks!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Osyn is the best.

Ok, I got bored and ordered this. 15 min tutorial that is sufficient to give you all the info you need. From a creative standpoint, this gets high marks. The clip is very clever and basically does the work for you. Squeeze and the card appears. The necessary pocket gimmick is very well made. Double sided and works very well. Because of the clever method, you only need to know the value of the card and you are good to go. You can have the card in play before the suit is even named. Once named, you can reveal any suit. It will take a bit of practice to unfold the card smoothly and quickly but nothing difficult.

My issue with this is the quality of the supplied cards. Because of the method, they need to be thin. The supplied cards are made of what feels like a thicker paper stock. Not card stock. Not tyvek. Not cardshark double decker stock. So durability will be an issue. You can’t have any backlight or you are in trouble. You also have to be aware when unfolding so you don’t rip the card. Disappointing. Also disappointing is how the cards were cut. They seem to be cut by hand and some of mine have rough edges. Also disappointing. Passable from stage but I would not use this in closeup or walk around. The good news is that you don’t need to use the supplied cards if you just want to use the clip for the ending of a signed card routine where you can mercury fold the card.

The card that is produced by the clip is cleverly designed and works very well but mine has a noticeable line down the middle. So not as precision made as it could have been. Again. Totally passable from stage but I wouldn’t use it close up.

Overall, I’m mixed. I’ll never use it but I never really intended to when I bought it. The index is nice but I already have the Q indexes so I’ll probably stick with those.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Eric, thanks so much for all of this. Based on your comments about the revelation cards, I don't think this is for me. I love the plot--and I am intrigued by Marc Oberon's continued exploration of multiple-out systems--but as a hobbyist, most of the performing I do is quite close up, for friends and family. Something that won't bear scrutiny just isn't going to work for me. Thanks again for taking the time to write this up. Back to Skynet and OSYN.

Evan
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
My pleasure. Although at this pace my kids are going to need a dumpster when I die to throw away all the unused magic I’ve been impulse buying.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Right? I once heard someone playing out a possible scenario, imagining a deceased magician's loved ones going through their things: "What is this, a bent paperclip? Throw that away." "No! That cost $75!!!"
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Exactly. My kids have taken and lost so many gimmicked sharpies and coin sets it’s not even funny.
no2ss
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1027 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On May 22, 2020, emyers99 wrote:
Exactly. My kids have taken and lost so many gimmicked sharpies and coin sets it’s not even funny.

I resemble this conversation.

I have debated leaving a typed set of instructions in my "magic closet" for what my family should do with the books, decks, and gimmicks should I die unexpectedly. Because I fear they'll just throw stuff out.

Also, Eric keeps leaving comments here saying "I got bored, so I got this," and every time I see that... I laugh, because that is almost always my story. "I don't need that. I mean, maybe? Nah. Don't need it. Don't get tempted. Maybe read one of those books you never read. Or... open that box from two years ago that you never really played with. Or just sleep. Hmm... Oh, there's a good review? Hmm... okay, maybe I'll buy it..."
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2430 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
Osyn is the best.

Ok, I got bored and ordered this. 15 min tutorial that is sufficient to give you all the info you need. From a creative standpoint, this gets high marks. The clip is very clever and basically does the work for you. Squeeze and the card appears. The necessary pocket gimmick is very well made. Double sided and works very well. Because of the clever method, you only need to know the value of the card and you are good to go. You can have the card in play before the suit is even named. Once named, you can reveal any suit. It will take a bit of practice to unfold the card smoothly and quickly but nothing difficult.

My issue with this is the quality of the supplied cards. Because of the method, they need to be thin. The supplied cards are made of what feels like a thicker paper stock. Not card stock. Not tyvek. Not cardshark double decker stock. So durability will be an issue. You can’t have any backlight or you are in trouble. You also have to be aware when unfolding so you don’t rip the card. Disappointing. Also disappointing is how the cards were cut. They seem to be cut by hand and some of mine have rough edges. Also disappointing. Passable from stage but I would not use this in closeup or walk around. The good news is that you don’t need to use the supplied cards if you just want to use the clip for the ending of a signed card routine where you can mercury fold the card.

The card that is produced by the clip is cleverly designed and works very well but mine has a noticeable line down the middle. So not as precision made as it could have been. Again. Totally passable from stage but I wouldn’t use it close up.

Overall, I’m mixed. I’ll never use it but I never really intended to when I bought it. The index is nice but I already have the Q indexes so I’ll probably stick with those.

Agree with everything!
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2430 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Selling mine if anyone is interested, feel free to PM me (I hardly touched it).

To be completely transparent if you want to show the card on the clip from the beginning of the performance I wouldn't get it unless you're doing parlour magic or on stage. If you want to make it appear on the clip I'd say close-up is ok (see reasons I mentioned above: spectators are surprised and only see the card for a second) but that's not how I want to perform it unfortunately... (and obviously parlour/stage are totally ok if you want to make the card appear that way as well)
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Quote:
Osyn is the best.

Thank you Eric - this is excellent information! I was thinking of doing this is a walk around situation. Now it sounds as though that may not be the best situation for this trick. Perhaps a Parlor show would be best...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Incarnation 2.0 by Marc Oberon (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL