The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorized Deck Stack + Marked Deck of Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

falcon2600
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of falcon2600
Hi,

I have just watched "Tom Crosbie - Recall" DVDs and the Shadow Stack is a combination of a Memorized Deck Stack plus a sort of Marked Deck of Cards (for some shortcut and key cards).

Do you know any other Cards Stack/System using the same combination principle (Mem Deck + Marked Cards)?

Thanks!
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
An easier question to answer may be “What comprehensive explanation on any stack doesn’t both cover general work in the cards and benefit from using a marked deck?”

Of more recent(-ish) books—including Woody’s Memorandum, Redford’s Temporarily Out of Order, Chapman’s The Devils Staircase, etc.—all discuss one or more of specific types of work put into key cards, fixed floating key card, markings, and the like. Any stack worker worth his/her salt knows when they can benefit/streamline with a marked deck at their disposal, and take appropriate advantage. Most I’ve jammed with have run with similar setups: marked, corner shorts, breather, scallops and, in my case, punch work. By no means should you be dependent upon any work, of course, but life sure can be sweeter when you have it.

As for the Shadow Stack? Well, a stack is a very specific thing tailored to the unique needs of the person that made it. Some will sacrifice many aspects others find critical and vice-versa. While this was my take of the stack, everyone is different.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Chris K
I agree with Pasteboard Alchemist here. In fact, I put a ton of work (more than I even mention in this quote from January, such as scallops). Most people I know who use mem decks often do as well.

Quote:
On Jan 29, 2020, Chris K wrote:
I use Letraset pens, not sharpies, to do my own marking... I put a top cutting breather into the 4C and a bottom cutting breather in the KD. That lets me tell whether the spectator cut the 4C to the top (can see the breather) versus figuring out if the breather is on the bottom. Just works for me. I also put corner shorts in some cards (upper right vs upper left).

I mean, if I am going to put some work into a deck, I PUT SOME WORK INTO THE DECK! ;-)
falcon2600
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of falcon2600
Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorized Deck Stack + Marked Deck of Cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL