The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RIP - Astrid Kirchherr, photographer of the Beatles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5864 Posts

Profile of motown
I was sorry to learn Astrid Kirchherr has passed away at 81. A very talented German photographer.

As a young photographer she took many photos of the the Beatles in the early 60's in Hamburg. This was when Stu Sutcliffe was in the band, who Astrid had a romance with until his untimely death at 21. There's movie called "Backbeat" with Stephen Dorff that was done about their romance.

I had the great fortune to meet Astrid back in 2008 at a British Pub in Hamburg called Kemp's. The pub was owned by her ex-husband Gibson Kemp, who was the drummer who replaced Ringo in Rory Storm's band after he left to join the Beatles. I hand many drinks in Gibson's Pub, a wonderful guy.

I had an opportunity to talk to her about photography and the famous Beatles haircuts that she was responsible for. A very nice and down to earth person. She maintained friends with Harrison and his wife Olivia over the years as well.

You can find many of her photos online.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5864 Posts

Profile of motown
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
History-making photographer and by all accounts a wonderful person. Considered by some to be the 6th Beatle! Some nice tweeted tributes in Motown’s linked article.

More details about her life here:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/as......les-dead

RIP, Astrid.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5864 Posts

Profile of motown
Your right about that Arthur.

And a big part of the Hamburg music and art scene.
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5864 Posts

Profile of motown
On NPR they’re playing a rebroadcast of an interview with Astrid by Terry Gross. Great to listen to.
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RIP - Astrid Kirchherr, photographer of the Beatles (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL