The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Eugene Burger advice (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
388 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2020, Mr. Woolery wrote:

I was recently rereading George Anderson's Magic Digest. In this book, he talks about different types of magic hobbyists.... But there's also the magic collector.... He might never perform, but can be a valuable resource because he knows what book or dvd to look in for almost any trick, even if he hardly ever does a trick himself.

I think it is fair to say that this sort of collector isn't really a magician, but it isn't fair to look down on him.

Patrick

I am such a hobbyist, but I would like to change to some extent so as to have a repertoire of tricks I do well, but not to perform before strangers. Part of my problem is that I just love learning new tricks, sleights, approaches, etc. I've always been a professional student, but now it appears that card magic is my new subject for study. I should be happy that at 69 I can still enjoy learning and experiencing new things. In fact I am currently enrolled in an online course of card magic.
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Ted
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
388 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
I just remembered reading a method of studying magic that I downloaded from the web. It suggested the amount of time (20-30 minutes) to spend each day on practicing a specific sleight. I took out my calculator and found that if I followed this method for a year I would have ONLY learned 18 tricks. How naive, even for a beginner to think that learning 18 tricks a year was an unacceptably slow rate of learning. After participating in card magic a bit I realize how silly this was, and the complete opposite of what Eugene Burger is trying to say. I plan to finish the book I am reading and then try to develop a small routine (and its presentation) based on the tricks I have storyboarded. It will be difficult to stop learning new stuff, but I have heard about this thing called "discipline" and its many uses, thus I shall give it a try.

Thanks for everyone's comments.
Cheers,

Ted
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4979 Posts

Profile of landmark
Here is what I would say to my younger self. It's the fastest way of progressing, I've found.

Spend two months on one effect you really like. Yes. a) Learn the necessary sleights as well as you can. b) Put the sleights into the context of the trick. c) Decide on a premise and write a script or at the beginning use a script you're given. d) Rehearse the trick with the script and sleights. e) Video yourself doing it. f) Perform it. g) Go back and adjust what didn't work.

The first year you'll have six really good tricks you can pull out whenever you need to.

In year two, you'll find that you can do the same thing in one month. That's twelve more.

After that you'll probably be able to continue to learn an effect in a month, but you can probably work on more than one at the same time.

That's how you build a repertoire. You follow the process from beginning to end with a trick you like and don't let yourself get distracted.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
388 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Landmark, from your mouth to God's ears. Thank you for your advice and encouragement, as every bit helps.
Cheers,

Ted
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Eugene Burger advice (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL