The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » 38 Blocks (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1279 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
Greetings one and all
I trust this finds you well, just wanted put out there a heads up about a BT that touches on a subject not really dealt with New Orleans prostitution in 1915 (think of the storytelling possibilities Smile
The book has been created by Paul Noffsinger and is available from Gemini Artifacts (creators of way too many cool items)
here is a blurb
"Gemini Artifacts is proud to present Paul Noffsinger’s 38 BLOCKS book test. This incredible pocket sized book is based on an actual book from 1915.

38 BLOCKS recreates one of New Orleans famous BLUE BOOKS. A Blue Book was in its simplest form a listing of prostitutes and local brothels located in the 38 block area in New Orleans called STORYVILLE.

Throughout its pages, you will find real names and places in history."
it does contain nudity (so not for the kiddies)

I myself ordered one so if you want something unique, join us under the red light.

https://www.geminiartifacts.com/products/38-blocks
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions
www.Gothicmagic.com
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
I ordered this cause it'll be a good prop for a hauntique I'm building. I'm not sure I can memorize the table needed to actually divine the thought of person's attributes.
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1279 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
Indeed
these guys made a prop that would cost a huge chunk of change if one where to buy an original (and Vics stuff really could pass for one)
but maybe use the crib sheet somehow? (maybe on the back of a frame of a picture of a bldg ,one of the girls or a map of Storyville)
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions
www.Gothicmagic.com
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
750 Posts

Profile of roblane
I ordered this the instant the email from Gemini landed. Love the storytelling possibilities and it's by Paul and Vic so we know it'll look amazing. Hope it doesn't take too long to reach Blighty...….
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
This looks great but I'm a little confused by the description of the routine. It says:

"The spectator reads the profile to themselves and learns much about the specific girl. They can learn her nationality or favorite flower. They can learn about her hair color or personality. After the spectator chooses and reads the profile silently, they turn to the next page and begin reading a list of names aloud. The names can be read in any order.

The work has been done and the performer now knows not only the name of the profile the spectator is looking at, but also her nationality, personality trait, hair type and a personal item."

Is there anything to stop them from assuming you just memorized the women listed on the opposite page and that's how you know which one they looked at?
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
Quote:
On May 24, 2020, Joe Roberts wrote:
This looks great but I'm a little confused by the description of the routine. It says:

"The spectator reads the profile to themselves and learns much about the specific girl. They can learn her nationality or favorite flower. They can learn about her hair color or personality. After the spectator chooses and reads the profile silently, they turn to the next page and begin reading a list of names aloud. The names can be read in any order.

The work has been done and the performer now knows not only the name of the profile the spectator is looking at, but also her nationality, personality trait, hair type and a personal item."

Is there anything to stop them from assuming you just memorized the women listed on the opposite page and that's how you know which one they looked at?
If I follow your question they would have to assume you not only memorized every profile in the book but also every accompanying list of girls.
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
I like the premise and story of this, and we know the quality will be great - but I just can't justify the weird procedure. I can't figure out how to make the reading aloud part make sense, it just jars and makes no sense to me.
sgiandubh
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of sgiandubh
Ordered. you know the quality of the book will be superb,then it's down to you as the performer... Not everything works for everyone but you can make your own adaptions to the presentation.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1107 Posts

Profile of reese
I'd love to read a review of this. Anything having to do with New Orleans holds my interest.
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
Got mine today and it looks decent, and while I don't know about performing it outright I think it'll be a nice addition to the thing I'm working on. I've had the instructions for like two weeks so I've had plenty of time to familiarize myself with the workings. The instructions was 18 pages with two simple sample routines. The routines and the how to were 6 of the 18 pages most of the rest was like background info. It really is a prop that you're expected to find a use for rather than fuller fledged work. Though the web page and the instructions vaguely suggest that it will be part of fuller work yet to be released. The second effect listed on the website is not in the instructions and I can't say I'm happy with the relevant parts of the book.

As for the actual method I had my partner pick girl after girl and couldn't figure out how I knew which one so I feel confident it would fly over someone who never really gets to pick more than one. She did kind of catch onto how I knew things about each girl but that's probably to be expected.

To me the biggest con is that some of the pictures of the girls are obviously digital. Some have noise and others have extreme pixelation. It could probably fly under the radar with person management and maybe lighting. But I feel that under most focused scrutiny would not pass as genuine article. I only refereed to it as a reproduction and before I admitted shenanigans my partner believed it to be a period accurate reproduction.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2139 Posts

Profile of 252life
Just received mine as well and agree with Madohatter.
I think the book is very well done and it's priced fairly.
It's portable and direct. Could be a mini seance in your pocket for the right moment Smile
Typical Gemini high quality. No complaints, I'll be using it.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1107 Posts

Profile of reese
Hey MadHat... I appreciate the honest review. 10 Q.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On May 24, 2020, Mad0hatter wrote:
Quote:
On May 24, 2020, Joe Roberts wrote:
This looks great but I'm a little confused by the description of the routine. It says:

"The spectator reads the profile to themselves and learns much about the specific girl. They can learn her nationality or favorite flower. They can learn about her hair color or personality. After the spectator chooses and reads the profile silently, they turn to the next page and begin reading a list of names aloud. The names can be read in any order.

The work has been done and the performer now knows not only the name of the profile the spectator is looking at, but also her nationality, personality trait, hair type and a personal item."

Is there anything to stop them from assuming you just memorized the women listed on the opposite page and that's how you know which one they looked at?
If I follow your question they would have to assume you not only memorized every profile in the book but also every accompanying list of girls.


Not as I understand it. You would just have to memorize the girls and ONE girl who appears on the opposite page. (If you read out a list of everyone on a page of the phone book and I told you what page you were on, I don't need to memorize the full book, just one person on each page.)

I realize that's NOT the method but I'm not sure how you'd go about convincing a spectator it wasn't the method.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1107 Posts

Profile of reese
My own stupid opinion: don't speculate about methods in a public forum.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2139 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2020, reese wrote:
My own stupid opinion: don't speculate about methods in a public forum.


Amen
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
GReed3649
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of GReed3649
Pardon me if this sounds inappropriate,but I'm new here and want to make sure I understand the ground rules properly.

I was aware that methods aren't supposed to be discussed plainly in an open thread. Am I to understand that even speculation or concerns with the audiences' possible perception of the method (even if it's completely off base) is also taboo?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5260 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Hi GReed3649,
Method discussions - real or perceived - are generally frowned upon in this portion of The Café. Once you have 50 legitimate posts, you'll have access to "The Banquet Room," an area on the forum where method is more freely discussed. Even there however, overtly revealing the workings of a prop or effect are discouraged if it can harm a creator's right to ownership of said method. It can be a slippery slope.

In general, discussions regarding method are best avoided, kept vague, or handled via private messaging. It's confusing for sure, but once you've been here a while you'll see how folks dance around details to have their questions or concerns recognized.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2020, reese wrote:
My own stupid opinion: don't speculate about methods in a public forum.


It's not a stupid opinion, it just has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

I didn't speculate about a method. I just asked if the method used is enough to prevent the spectator from assuming this isn't just a memory stunt. If you ask a normal person how someone might know the information on one page of a book based on them reading the information on the next page, most people would say, "I guess he has it memorized." With a small book like this it's even more likely to be seen as the answer. I just didn't know if there was something missing from the description of the effect that would preclude that assumption.
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2020, Joe Roberts wrote:

Not as I understand it. You would just have to memorize the girls and ONE girl who appears on the opposite page. (If you read out a list of everyone on a page of the phone book and I told you what page you were on, I don't need to memorize the full book, just one person on each page.)

I realize that's NOT the method but I'm not sure how you'd go about convincing a spectator it wasn't the method.

While I didn't check every list; it appears that the girls names do not appear in multiple lists, and the girls that make the lists do not repeat either. So your participant could think you memorized the profiles of all 20+ girls recognized their name from the list, but that feels to me like a big assumption. Thinking of the book tests I know the methods to you could argue memorization for them as well. I think the method that prevents memorization as a guess is supposed to be you and your presentation. Presentation is the big method for bizarre magic.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2020, Mad0hatter wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2020, Joe Roberts wrote:

Not as I understand it. You would just have to memorize the girls and ONE girl who appears on the opposite page. (If you read out a list of everyone on a page of the phone book and I told you what page you were on, I don't need to memorize the full book, just one person on each page.)

I realize that's NOT the method but I'm not sure how you'd go about convincing a spectator it wasn't the method.

While I didn't check every list; it appears that the girls names do not appear in multiple lists, and the girls that make the lists do not repeat either. So your participant could think you memorized the profiles of all 20+ girls recognized their name from the list, but that feels to me like a big assumption. Thinking of the book tests I know the methods to you could argue memorization for them as well. I think the method that prevents memorization as a guess is supposed to be you and your presentation. Presentation is the big method for bizarre magic.


With book tests it's always been considered a weakness if you have to ask for a page number because the spectator could simply assume you memorized it. Countless book tests have been designed to avoid having to ask for a page number, even if the book has 100s of pages.

With only 20-something different women, the suspicion of memorization being the answer would be even more likely. That doesn't seem like such a "big assumption" to me. My concern is that it's about the most basic assumption the spectator could make. Presentation is the heart of bizarre magic but to really engross people in a bizarre presentation I feel like you need to eliminate all the prosaic explanations for what is happening.

I love the idea of the book but I just wanted to clarify what the process was because it sounded like they read the names on one page and you're able to tell them details of the woman on the other side of the page. And if that's what it is, I personally don't know how I would steer them away from what seems to be the obvious explanation, so it's not for me. But I'm sure others won't have that hang-up and I hope they enjoy the product.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » 38 Blocks (13 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL