The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » First performance since back injury ... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1904 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Have been very excited ... for those that don't know, I threw my back out about 5 years ago and was disabled and unable to perform. For the longest time, I thought I would never do magic again.

Well, Thursday night I performed for the first time since my injury ... nothing fancy, just some of my routines for IBM Ring #334 in Myrtle Beach. It felt great and I'm excited about returning to the magic arena!

I've tried to do this before, but have not been up to it physically. I'm now convinced I am ready - I've been working fulltime at a small magic shop for over a month and everything has been going good, without any tension headaches or back pain.

I need to thank my girlfriend Dana the most for this ... at a time when there was no magic in my life. She showed me a magic I didn't know exist. If it wasn't for her, I would probably have never ventured back into the performing arts.

And there is my chiropractor - without him, I would probably be dead by now since conventional doctors did absolutely nothing but give me pain killers and muscle relaxers. For anyone that has ever thought chiropractors were flakes or debunk medicine, I encourage you to contact me privately so I can provide you with real life testimony to how Dr. Simon literally saved my life by straightening my spine.

And I also want to thank all my magician friends that have stood by me over the years, and been understanding of my mood swings and other odd behavior from the tension headaches from my back problems. Sorry if I've been a pain in the ass, but it's hard to function when you've had a headache for 3 straight years - not migraines that come and go, but one constant headache that is always there. I hope no one ever has to go through what I did.

So I thank you all ... if anyone can help me get back into the field again, I'd greatly appreciate any help - especially advise. I no longer have any mailing material or contact lists, but I have done a pretty decent job on my website: http://joejoeonline.com/ ... if you can be so kind as to take a look and give me any suggestions or advise to get bookings with it over the internet, I'm all ears here.

Thanks again,
The Amazing JoeJoe

http://joejoeonline.com/
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Oz Fan
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Oz Fan
Congratulations Joe!

-Blake-
Blake S.
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1398 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
Go get 'em joe! Smile
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1554 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
What a wonderful post you shared with us Joe, and it does sound like you've had a really special girlfriend and friends that supported you throughout. I'd say it sounded magical. Good luck to you!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5273 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
JoeJoe, WELCOME BACK!! It is great news to hear that you are back at performing. Even better news that you are giving credit to your wonderful support system. Girlfriend, chiropractor, and all your magic friends all make for one swell support group, yes? You owe them a great debt. Hang in there big guy.

Hey, next time I’m down the Myrtle Beach way I think I’ll stop by and mooch off you! Or just visit for a bit.

Stay Amazing!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Hi JoeJoe,
Having two cracked vertebrae in my back I can really relate to what you've said. I had a lot of trouble with conventional treatment and went 'natural' and some of those treatments can help depending on the situation.

Anyway, best of luck, your indomitable spirit is an inspiration.
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1904 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Thanks everyone ... Harry (and anyone else), before you come to the beach send me a PM and I'll tell you where to find Magic & Mischief and we can talk shop. I got some very original stuff I love showing off. : )

WhiteRabbit: Yes, and back surgery can be VERY risky. I've heard more horror stories than success. Before you go under the knife, check out every possible alternative!
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1904 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
TRIUMPT RETURN TO THE STAGE! Tonight was my first stage appearence - yay! Had such a blast, I just had to post ...

It was a family reunion, 150 people - I was the only white guy there. I saw this coming, and used it to win the audience over with my openning (nice to know I can still do comedy):

"Thank you everyone - I'm your long lost cousin JoeJoe from Africa! I finally found my way home - it's just a skin condition, doctor says it'll clear itself up in time!

No, I'm just teasing you - but this is exactly what happens when you buy a house in Myrtle Beach, people from all over the country start showing up claiming to be family!

I had to rent the Pelicans Baseball Stadium for my family reunion - there were white people coming in, black people coming in, red people coming in, asian people coming in ...

... I had to stop the two little green dudes - they had antenna's sticking out of their heads, big bug eyes - I said wait a minute - are you guys related to me? They pointed to my sister -- I said oh ok, that explains everything, come on in!"

Lots of fun ... 30 minutes, everyone complimented me saying I did a great job. I'm really glad to be back doing what I love to do. Smile
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
739 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
All the best to you and yours. I sincerely hope that your recovery is complete and final.
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
JoJo,

I hope that show was the first in a long run of
GREAT shows! Stay well,and knock-um dead!!

How long have you been in Myrtle Beach ?
Is the amusement park still there ?
I'm asking this as I had a close encounter with
the Swamp Fox roller coaster there in 1984 !

May You Always Escape,

Steve Baker,MR.ESCAPE
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1904 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Thanks for everyone's encouragement ... I've had a great summer season here and am now thinking of how I am going to broaden my horizons. I've been street performing at Barefoot Landing, but not much money now with no tourists around ... so I've gotta figure out what to do with myself.

Steve, I've been here nearly 10 years now. The Swamp Fox is no longer here - but the Pavilion still is. The new rollar coaster they have is called the Hurricane, looks fun but I don't think I should ride it with my back. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » First performance since back injury ... (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL