The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring pull with one-hand clip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mikey7938
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Mikey7938
I am using a pull (reel) to do an effect with a ring (not borrowed), and I'm having a tough time sourcing a clip that can be operated with one hand as I reach for the ring. Any thoughts on an existing solution?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There is none available, you would have to make something yourself. There was one in the late 1970's that released a clip inside a key case. It was all made specially for the ring to key case by the late Ken Brooke of London England.

Back in the 1940's there was a powerful reel that delivered a ring to your pocket, but the clip was very hard to squeeze the large clip to open the jaws and load the ring. They were called ring to pocket reels. They are collector's items and are very expensive if you can find someone to part with his. There is a drawing of it in a Pat Page booklet on reels and pulls.

If you are noted professional magician, you might want to contact James P. Riser and see if he can help in any way.

http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/JamesRiserMagic.html
Mikey7938
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Mikey7938
Thanks, Bill. I figured I might have to make my own. I appreciate your comments. Thanks!
Mikey7938
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Mikey7938
I think something like this might work...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Note: you picture did not post.

Does size matter, what kind of real are you using a classic locking reel? or something else? In other words is it 1 3/8" in diameter or is it larger? Like a Key-Bak key chain reel.

https://www.keybak.com/products/the-orig......keychain

On the Key Bak reel you remove the chain and replace with 25lb. fishing clear fishing line. If you need it locking there is way to put a locking device on the reel.

If you can make a scissor clip, then it would drop off. Hobby shops and hardware stores sell small amounts of metal sheeting in brass, tin, and aluminum, attach a spring between the blades and you would have a way to have the ring drop in your hand.
The problem is that most hooks are just that, hooks, and it would be difficult to get the finger ring off smoothly.
Mikey7938
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Mikey7938
I am using a locking reel- about 1 3/8 diameter. I sent you the picture via messenger on Facebook, just in case it did not post. One the ring is attached, I won't need to take if off the clasp until re-set.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Okay, you are not wanting to reproduce the ring after it is taken away or vanished, now I am puzzled.

Well there is kinds of key ring clasp that come with spring loaded hook type clasps, I had to order them from China.

Another is you go a jewelry store and ask for pocket watch clasp. I think they call them clams hooks, for pocket watches. They come in various sizes. You just push the ring against the spring loaded opening and push the ring in. Then release your line.

Pop Haydn here on the Café also sells these clips, you can PM him here on the Café.

I don't know about any clip that can be worked one handed, you have to obtain the clip attached to the line. It would have tension on the clip, how are you going to push the ring in the clip. It takes one hand to hold the finger ring, and the other hand to hold the clip. I assume you are going to vanish the ring, so you just place it in the other hand that has the clip, and unknowing to the spectators it is pushed into the clip, released and hand shown empty.

If this is not what you are thinking, then I don't know what you are trying to do. Why would you want to keep someone's finger ring. Is this a magic effect?

I just don't see a clip that you can hold in your hand and take a ring with your fingers of in the same fingers you are holding a clip, and have it attach itself to the clip. Humans only have five fingers, and it takes at least 2 to hold the clip, and 2 to hold the ring.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
"Lobster Claw" clips is the name. Found in different sizes in jewelry supplies. Chef Anton sells one for Ring Flite on www.ScoundrelsStore.com

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks Pop for chiming in, I looked at your website, and School for Scoundrels website and could not notice it.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mike, I finally got your message on Facebook, I am not great on FB so it take a while to find things.

That is a large clip, don't know how you could get away using it. It all depends on the stage setting and the spectator being in a good position to not notice it. I see how the clip works, but have not seen anything smaller that may help with a quick attachment while receiving a finger ring from a spectator.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring pull with one-hand clip (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL