The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Haunted Key Deluxe by Murphy's Magic (42 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1606 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Thanx for posting Magic Mark, looks like I'll be very happy with my purchase !
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I was surprised that mine arrived before release date. I ordered an additional effect at the same time (an estate item). Perhaps that's why it shipped on Thursday (so early)?

Interestingly, the other item I ordered is also an effect with keys... This one:

https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/me......by-buma/

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Photo of the new Haunted Key with some of my other "Magic Keys". New Haunted key on the left, Viking un-gaffed Psy Key, Chrome Magic Shop Key, Carlyle Key, Bob Solari key. Agree it is very nicely made, good balance and weight. No doubt the nicest "magic shop" key produced to date.

Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2020, J M Talbot wrote:
Photo of the new Haunted Key with some of my other "Magic Keys". New Haunted key on the left, Viking un-gaffed Psy Key, Chrome Magic Shop Key, Carlyle Key, Bob Solari key. Agree it is very nicely made, good balance and weight. No doubt the nicest "magic shop" key produced to date.

Thanks for the update I assume it is made of Metal ?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Does anyone know of your hand has to be plastic for this to work?
I've asked to be banned
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
I'm just hoping someone will come out with a mini-haunted key for my little hand gimmick. Imagine that creeping out and it turning over. How meta would that be?
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2020, IAIN wrote:
Does anyone know of your hand has to be plastic for this to work?

Lol. Your a funny guy. Kinda reminds me of the guy that keeps bringing up the old joke because he has no sense of humor himself.
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1606 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Well at day 5, looks like my haunted key gave the usps's 2 day priority a ghosting. Seems they received it Fri 29th but no further update for shipping......
Having usps look for it. I know their services slowed a bit but my mailman said priority services aren't effected & it should have been here mon.

Oh well, hopefully they find it or hocus pocus needs to ship another one. Was so excited to get this to play with......
Back into the rabbit hole -
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Have been practicing with this for a couple of days and it handles great. Like all Keys practice is needed to get it smooth and find the right hand position and sweet spot. It is though one the easiest I have used to get a consistent slow steady turn of the key. Very happy with the purchase.
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
I was a newbie to magic when I first saw a magician perform, "THE HAUNTED KEY". Maybe it was because I was more layperson than magician, the sight of HIS KEY turning over in HIS HAND looked more like a stunt than a spooky,bizarre magic moment.

I expected him to dismiss this notion by either placing the key on my palm, or maybe even the table, and duplicate the effect under more demanding conditions. Instead, he placed it back in his pocket and pulled out a set of blank cards that magically produced spider webs on them...I still haven't got the stain out of my underwear.

Maybe I need to rethink my thoughts on the HAUNTED KEY and give it a chance.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Well, the haunted key can be done in a person's hand if you know a couple of things, the late great Raymond Carlyle used to teach a great one...
I've asked to be banned
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
It is nice piece of close-up animation that can be done under any circumstances... however can easily come across as a stunt without any context behind it. I also love the Okito doll and is a frequently performed item for me, again that can come across badly if not performed well and I have seen very few take the time to properly practice it as well. The key (pun intended) to both is to really work at finding the proper positioning in your hand (and everyone is a little different) to allow the animation to happen with zero perceived movement of the hand. Seems easy but really does take some dedicated practice to do well. The good news with this is that you know exactly what you are getting (a key!) and if it is right for you or not.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
It should come with a plastic hand though...maybe for v2?
I've asked to be banned
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2020, Merlinsmagic wrote:
Well at day 5, looks like my haunted key gave the usps's 2 day priority a ghosting. Seems they received it Fri 29th but no further update for shipping......
Having usps look for it. I know their services slowed a bit but my mailman said priority services aren't effected & it should have been here mon.

Oh well, hopefully they find it or hocus pocus needs to ship another one. Was so excited to get this to play with......
Back into the rabbit hole -

Check the tracking again. I ordered a different item from Hocus Pocus last week and the package was picked up by the carrier at 1:15pm on Friday the 29th. Until 3:15pm today, the tracking had not updated and the package had not arrived. But at 3:15pm the package was finally scanned and the tracking was updated. The package is *still* at the post office in Fresno. USPS estimates I'll receive it on Saturday.

I suspect that your package showed "Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending". Today I learned what that means. It means the carrier scanned the scan book at the business when he picked up the package but the package has NOT been scanned yet. That's what my package's tracking showed from 1:15pm on Friday until 3:15pm today (Wednesday).

Apparently, at least our 2 packages from Hocus Pocus got misplaced or forgotten at the post office in Fresno. Maybe the carrier left them on his truck? Who knows. But mine is finally on its way. I suspect yours is too.

Mark
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1606 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
I had called HP & talk Max & he was very nice & helpful. He said this has been a thing as of late & he had called their post office on other recent same situations.
I'm near Fresno & have normally had packages from them ordered fri am & recieved that next mon, so I guess I'm just used to the fast shipping from them & the PO.

I did just check & it finally showed up in the que for this Sat delivery, YAAAA
Max asked for my order # & said he'd keep an eye on the tracking, so hats off to HP & Max for answering the phone & being honestly helpful, was more than happy to ship me another key on Sat if nothing happened by Fri,
Thanks Max !!
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
My key came from Hocus Pocus today. It is excellent. It is in the top tier of the keys I have and have seen and, from it’s modest cost, is easily the best haunted key value that I have found in ten years of interest in the prop and the effect.

Your fifteen dollars includes access to a good online instructional video. The presenter is articulate, engaging, and a good demonstrator. I do need to quibble at two points:

1. He teaches and recommends only his favored placement of the key. It rests high, virtually against the raised fleshy part of the hand leading to the thumb. No doubt that position will fit the hansds of many performers. I believe, however, that the key’s placement near the most raised part of the hand will add to a spectator’s suspicion that gravity is necessarily involved. I much prefer the most diagonal Carlisle placement. In well over 100 performances, no spectator has suggested any dependence on gravity.

2. Knowledgeable performers know that “ideomotor” activity is responsible for the turning. The instructor alludes to Carpenter’s 1852 “ideomotor response” theory but, unfortunately, does not explain it clearly and thoroughly enough for someone to understand d it who does not already understand it!

Overall, the video is worth your time. You are buying the KEY, which is a splendid value.

George
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On May 25, 2020, littlethumbtip wrote:
Asked twice...but not answered: Is this key made of metal? The item description on the Vanishing Inc website offers no indication on what the key is made up of. Titanas?

I received mine today. It is metal. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's steel. Magnet sticks to it, (no, none of the effects in the instructional video use magnets - I just checked out of curiosity).
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1606 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
Max from Hocus Pocus called me today to check in with me which I greatly appreciated to let me know USPS had finally updated their site. I had already found that out but was happy that Max did stay on top of it !
He said they had 3 or 4 shipments vanish longer than normal but are finally popping up & moving. 10 stars for Hocus Pocus / Max for excellent customer service !!
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On May 26, 2020, MR Effecto wrote:
So it’s plastic.

Nope. Solid metal. Don't know if it's steel or iron. But it's solid, definitely as hefty as you'd expect from a key of this size, made 125 years ago. I actually have a collection of various very old skeleton keys and this manufactured one very much has the look and feel of an authentic, old key. it is not magnetic itself, but it is attracted to a magnet, which is why I believe it is either steel or iron. Definitely NOT plastic.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2020, Merlinsmagic wrote:
Max from Hocus Pocus called me today to check in with me which I greatly appreciated to let me know USPS had finally updated their site. I had already found that out but was happy that Max did stay on top of it !
He said they had 3 or 4 shipments vanish longer than normal but are finally popping up & moving. 10 stars for Hocus Pocus / Max for excellent customer service !!

I exchanged email with Max today. I had mentioned that one other person on Magic Café (who had ordered a Haunted Key) had his package ship on Friday but then not get updated until yesterday. Max confided that, coincidentally, that person was also named Mark.

So, hi, Mark! Smile

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Haunted Key Deluxe by Murphy's Magic (42 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL