The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Buyer Beware - Fidget Deck by Magic by Derek (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chriswiehl
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of chriswiehl
Hello Café.
This is a buyer Beware regarding a trick that is being released to the market called "Fidget Deck". It is being produced by Magic by Derek. This is a trick that is being published using methods by myself and Greg Wilson without permission. My trick Arthur, slapped on to Greg's trick Revolution. He reached out to myself and Greg regarding permission and neither of us granted him permission or blessing to release the effect, so he said that he didn't need our permission and has been seeking and promoting it since. Additionally, I have video footage of me performing the trick in 2015 which Derek is aware of and has disregarded. Due to the crediting nature and the ethics, major magic companies, such as Murphys, penguin, vanishing inc, and Propdog have refused to sell it. I would like to make a warning post regarding this on the latest and greatest to warn people of the bad business that has been occuring. Please do not encourage the business practices of someone who is not willing to comply with the general nature of magic production. Thank you and please let me know if anyone has questions.

https://www.instagram.com/p/6yXDGrHyFh/?igshid=i22nclla62fc
www.christopherwiehl.com
www.syracusemagic.com
Syracuse Magician Christopher Wiehl.
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Elite user
In Your Thots
481 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
If true, too many such instances these days. Too bad.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Manos Kartsakis
Thanks for letting us know Chris.
Unfortunately, there is very little any of us can do legally in a situation like this so most of the times it all comes down to the community and how all of us handle these issues collectively. So far, it seems that major companies have handled this pretty well by not picking up this product. Let's hope it stays like that. Smile
Doric
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Doric
Shame. It actually looks like a great trick!
Wednesday
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, BC
53 Posts

Profile of Wednesday
What a joke.

I'd imagine since all of the major magic retailers have refused his product, it basically kills a lot of his potential sales? Safe assumption?
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
256 Posts

Profile of Shikina
Forgive me but I understand there to be a rather large dispute about the provenance of Revolution and whether Greg Wilson had proper rights to release it in the first place. Happy for more knowledgeable folks to jump on but I have personally had a conversation with a notable gentleman who contests Greg’s rights to the effect and he has even granted me his permission to release effects based on the same working mechanism (which I have no current plans to do). Perhaps this Derek guy has had similar conversations and felt he was within his right. I am not familiar with the effect Arthur by the OP so I can neither speak nor speculate about that part.
Doric
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Doric
Interesting development.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Buyer Beware - Fidget Deck by Magic by Derek (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL