The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Does anybody know this trick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

procrash
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of procrash
Hi,

Bryan Saint performed this on Edge. Does anybody know this trick and knows who invented it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT9xq18PZHI

Regards,

Wolfgang
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Looks like some pre-show or stooge work coupled with a palm replacement.
procrash
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of procrash
Quote:
On May 23, 2020, ThomasJ wrote:

Do you really think a stooge was involved? When I saw this I just thought: Impossible! Absolutely impossible. Looks a little bit like a David Berglass Routine.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
My thought is more likely pre show work. A crimp and some coaching would make more sense if he was a stooge. A pre show peek + asking him to “name the card again when I prompt you to name any card on air” is more likely.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Too many cuts and edits to discern what actually occurred.

The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
ThomasJ seems right here.

Two bits that make this an interesting study. First, one of the real genius features of outs is that you don't know they're there, so we don't know what happens if the pre-show fails. It's a very good gamble to make. Maven, Osterlind, Banachek, Brown... all these guys have good work on the topic.

Second, the introduction of the cut is an interesting wrinkle because it introduces dual-reality. Technically, from a mathematical point of view, the effect is the same if you eliminate the cut and just ask the guy to name the top card. But if QCB doesn't cut to that card, his reaction is going to be muted -- we're wondering how the magician knew it would be the nine of hearts, but he's wondering how the hell he cut to his card, but despite that lack of pure symmetry there's still a clarity there that makes it feel very unified.

Clever stuff.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
ddtstore
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of ddtstore
Quote:
On May 23, 2020, ThomasJ wrote:

I do not think pre show would have been done.
ScarneAce
View Profile
Regular user
In a Galaxy far, far away...
150 Posts

Profile of ScarneAce
From watching it and the amount of palms he was doing (the fish hook thumb sticking out was a major tell) he wanted the guy to have the 9 of hearts, why would he want him to have it so badly unless he knew for a fact he would name it, in other words of course there was pre-show work.

He could have had the guy write down his favourite card earlier (peek pad) or simple riffled the deck, asked him to think of one (held a break and peeked later) and told the guy "Later I'll ask you to name your card and I'll see if you are able to find it yourself"

I totally agree with The Burnaby Kid, the effect for the other guy was that he cut to the card.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
To be clear, here is your pre-show posit:

I tell the magician a card. Five minutes later he pulls out a deck and does some weird passing and cutting. My card is found on top of a stack!
SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Does anybody know this trick? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL