The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Unemployment Insurance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
696 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I am curious to see if anyone has been successful at obtaining the unemployment insurance compensation which is supposed to now be available for gig workers. If so, I would like to hear your experience....
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I was successful and have been getting paid for 5 weeks now. I was very fortunate, one of the management companies I work for sent an email explaining how I should fill out the application in my state. There were several confusing steps since the system is not set up for self-employed.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
696 Posts

Quote:
On May 26, 2020, thomasR wrote:
I was successful and have been getting paid for 5 weeks now. I was very fortunate, one of the management companies I work for sent an email explaining how I should fill out the application in my state. There were several confusing steps since the system is not set up for self-employed.

Thanks for your reply. I started the application process on April 1st (April fools Day...LOL), and was unable to file on-line due to problems with the EDD site, so I filled out the paperwork manually and mailed it in. I received a reply from EDD exactly three weeks later by mail saying I was denied with no explanation. Upon researching the denial form letter received, I found out that what was actually needed was to refile the application. Fortunately I had made a copy of the first application, so re-submitting was simple. I also mailed that second application. Then exactly three weeks later I received a form which apparently is a notice of unemployment claim which employers receive for salaried employees. This form states it must be completed and mailed within 10 days of the date on the letter. The letter was dated 04/20/2020, and the date I received the form was May 27th (!). Some of the questions are not gig-worker related....like "Rate of pay $......per......... Well, I intend to fill out the form as best as I can and mail it in ASAP. ..........Thanks again for your input.
May every day be magic!

thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Yes I got that second letter too and it said "within 7 days" which was pretty much impossible. ha. I think mine was worded a little differently but I just wrote a letter explaining that my self-employed business currently can't conduct business as usual but is planning to resume business as soon as possible.

I'm sure the mail is so backed up these offices were not designed for this at all. I know I'm one of the lucky ones.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The process varies DRASTICALLY by state. In Nevada gig workers are not going to have an easy time for a couple months.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On May 27, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
The process varies DRASTICALLY by state. In Nevada gig workers are not going to have an easy time for a couple months.

How so? Like is the system just super slow to approve people? Or people are being denied? Or policies are changing soon?
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
696 Posts

Quote:

This is 100% correct. I live in California and my brother lives in Wisconsin. He is not in the entertainment business, but owns his own small Internet marketing business. We have compared notes regarding the process and the differences are amazing. When I applied, I really did not expect to get the benefit, but felt I had nothing to lose by applying.
May every day be magic!

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On May 27, 2020, misterillusion wrote:
Quote:

This is 100% correct. I live in California and my brother lives in Wisconsin. He is not in the entertainment business, but owns his own small Internet marketing business. We have compared notes regarding the process and the differences are amazing. When I applied, I really did not expect to get the benefit, but felt I had nothing to lose by applying.

I "believe" you will get it eventually. In Nevada actually THAT is what is being said. Doesn't help much as it might not actually happen until October.

That being said in Nevada "gig" workers last I heard have been told that it will be retroactive from the date of unemployment. In California I HAVE NO CLUE, it is hard enough to keep up on ones individual state!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
October!!??
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
696 Posts

For anyone who may be interested,....... in today's mail I received an "award" letter from the EDD stating that I will be receiving $167 per week from the State of California retro active to March 15th. This amount could be increased after a review is made of my reported income. In addition to this amount I will be receiving $600 per week from the Federal government. There was no explanation regarding how I would receive this, so I guess further instructions will follow. .......So, for anyone who is interested, it is worth the time and effort to fill out the paperwork after all. As Dannydoyle said, the process will very likely be different from state to state.
May every day be magic!

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wonderful
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Unemployment Insurance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.53 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL