The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » DIY Loop Ball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Has anyone made their own loop ball? I'm trying to imitate what I see Cellini using. I have 1-3/4" wooden ball. How is the loop attached? The way Cellini speaks of it on video, there is a single hole drilled right through just back of the edge to leave a thumb's width between the entry and exit points. Or is it two separate holes (which would be an easier project). Any experience/ advice on this?

Thanks for any help,
David
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1660 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I drilled a hole straight through the wooden ball as described. The loop is made from thin fishing line. Thread it through the holes using a needle , then tie it into a loop. (a small dab of super glue on the knot will keep it from coming apart).

You can also make one from a rubber ball by threading the fishing line through the ball with a long sewing needled (a pair of pliers to hold the needle as you push it into the rubber ball can help)

I've seen a number of discussion threads in the past about the Loop Ball. Use the Search function and you'll find those.

You can buy them ready made from the Ambitious Card:

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=69

BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Excellent. Thank you, David. That's so clear. Do you paint the ball before you thread the line? Seems cleaner and easier to work with that way.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1660 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On May 29, 2020, BeThePlunk wrote:
Do you paint the ball before you thread the line?

The ball I used was pre-painted (a wooden ball from an old set of multiplying billiard balls). I've also made one from a rubber ball.

These type of rubber balls would work:

https://www.renegadejuggling.com/play-g-......all-50mm

(the 50mm ball is 1.96 inches in diameter.)

Use pliers to push the needle through and pull the needle out the other side to thread the lightweight monofilament line through the ball.

For me the wood ball is a bit easier to manipulate , but a rubber or silicone ball works fine, too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » DIY Loop Ball (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL