The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Importance of the spoken word in mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
You may be aware that, from reading many of my posts I am heavily Dyslexic, therefore this does prevent some of my work. It does however allow me to focus on other areas. The spoken word is a way I focus (as opposed to the written one) and since I use a great deal of linguistics and psychological forces/techniques in my shows I think grammar is important. We all know I'm sure all too well the effect that words can have upon things such as a classic force, and obviously how vital they are in effects such as Banachek's touches, Jermay's Twisted Palm etc.

In all my work (being from a theatre background and having studied a Ba (hons) course in the area) presentation is primary, effect comes second. I attended a stage competition only a few weeks ago to see a performer win first place, after having repeatidly turned his back on the audience, to me this was beyond comprehension. This is something I feel very strongly about.

Just goes to show, a disadvantage is only a negative if you allow it be so.

A little rant, I don't rant much,

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
ThomasBerger
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of ThomasBerger
Kennedy-
My wife is Dyslexic, I have some idea what you are battling.

A good post.
Me thinks you should rant a little more.

Cheers.
Tom
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Too many magicians and mentalists kid themselves on with regard to presentation skills.

Take the examples discussed on this thread. If you see a mental performer with either

a)a poor speaking voice
b)bad diction
c)bad grammar

or a combination thereof do you think it's more likely that

a)It's part of a carefully crafted character

or

b)The guy doesn't have a clue about a, b or c.

Take a tour of a dozen magic clubs and you'll soon find the answer.

Nobody is forced to perform - it is a choice. So is watching someone perform. If you don't respect your audience enough to bother with the essentials then they will ultimately not give you the respect you seek.

Talk of appearance is a moot point as that's not what is under discussion. Kenton is one of the few to have a "character" and he has chosen a wizard - in fact, I think he is a wizard, not just playing one. Try and prove otherwise! His style of dress reflects his character perfectly.

Doug Henning was a sensation in jeans and hippy style clothes. It suited his character.

Neither of these performers have/had a lack of communication skills.

What we are trying to say is be aware of what you have. Once you are aware of it, turn it into a strength. Someone with a weak voice might turn it into a joe pasquale type comedy voice for an (admittedly poor) example. The thing is, people with bad grammar don't KNOW they have bad grammar unless it's pointed out by someone willing to point it out.

Regards,

David.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Importance of the spoken word in mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL