The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Do you perform non-coin magic ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
I was just wondering if the more experienced coin workers here also performed other types of magic or if your coins take up all the spare time? If yes, what kind of magic? Other sleight of hand like cards or general/gimmicked magic?

I'm relatively new to coin magic (half a year), but I intend to stick with it. There's this certain fascination about sleight of hand money stuff (which is what got me started) that I don't get with other types of magic, and being a poor student with lots of time, sleight of hand is the way forward, rather than buying gimmicks Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yes, Sirakor...along with coins (my primary), I also carry various items (depending on my mood), such as packet tricks, silk & TT, rubberbands (tip o' the hat to Dan Harlan!), and my optical illusion ring.

Good example was last night (6/5)...there was a graduation party at a community clubhouse near here. My friend invited me along, and told the host that I was a magician. I had my four silver dollars with me, one rubberband around my wrist, an 18" piece of rope and a red 9" silk and TT in my pocket.

That was enough to give all the tables that asked me to perform (I do NOT solicit myself...bad idea...), at least 15 min each.

Woo...busy night. First time in a while, and I'm glad I wasn't just carrying coins! LOL!

Doug
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3836 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
You mean, there's other types of magic without coins?
First edition sold out in RECORD TIME, and the supplies of the reprint are dwindling fast! but don't despair, they are still around at dealers everywhere! I ONLY HAVE ONE LEFT THAT I CAN SIGN!! When they go, I won't get ANY MORE, so who wants it?
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!! To get ordering information, email me at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
ORDER YOURS TODAY!!
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
HA! THAT WAS A GOOD ONE MIKE !

YOUR FRIEND,

MICKEY
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Don't tell anyone, but yes... I do other types of magic.

I pick and choose stuff that I like.

I tend to like coins because you get do a lot of work out of your pocket. I mostly work standing with people. Other than coins I pick stuff that's easy to carry:

Crazy Man's Handcuffs
Eason's "All Screwed Up"
3-D Cash
Thumbtip magic (bill switch - salt stuff, water stuff)
I also have one choice card trick I may do if I bother carrying a deck.

I have also learned some more parlor type stuff for the occasional times I do this...

Ninja Rings
Dean's Box
C&R rope
Silks
Perpetetic Walnuts
Chop Cup
etc. etc.

Dan
Click to visit:
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4854 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Although coins are a favorite, most of the magic I perform does not involve coins. For a formal show, I'll work with rope, cards, cups and balls, linking rings, ring and rope, borrowed ring in nest of boxes or the like, effects with paper money, apparatus effects, escapes, and some illusions etc.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I started by learning what is in the book Stars of Magic. It also helped to play with EVERYTHING available to find what is interesting, comfortable and what speaks to me... and for me.

A long time ago, I picked up Andrew Galloway's book The Ramsay Legend and started work. I have done the cards to pocket, the one cup routine, the rope routine, ... and had to wait to get my hands on his cups and balls routine, and the triple restoration. You might notice that his tricks all use very simple cheap props. If you can read past the magician oriented feints, the magic is sound.

So... by the time I was regularly inventing things... I had a fairly solid background. I can't imagine knowing ONLY coins. Some people may chose to perform an act using only coins, however I would be most surprised if their skills were so narrowly focused. For example, David Roth's first lecture had a wonderful chop cup routine.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2004-06-06 12:27, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
For example, David Roth's first lecture had a wonderful chop cup routine.

Would have loved to seen that one.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
199 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
I love all types of magic. Rings, Cards, Cups, Balls, Silks, etc. Mostly close-up effects on my list with... for the most part....pure sleight of hand.

Regards,
Brian
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
When I started in magic, Coins held a very special facination for me. I love coin magic and it's my favorite kind of close up stuff to perform...

However, I've learned (the hard way) that audiences like variety. So I do silks, rubber bands, and cards, and lots of other things. My card magic is pretty solid. I do most the basic moves... Double lifts, elmsley, force, pass, jogs, crimps and palming. Also like gaffed cards.... like Jon Allen's double back.

One fun thing about card magic is you can use a borrowed deck. Just like coin magic... borrowed non gaff things can add to the magic.

I think being "well rounded" is important and I would encourage you to dive into other areas of magic besides coins....

You can even apply coin magic pricipals to other objects... so have fun!
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
377 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
My favorites always is coins, but I also do other, like Nija ring, TT,silks,rope,rubberbands,some card too.
rden
View Profile
New user
Sugar Land, Texas
75 Posts

Profile of rden
Being relatively new, my approach is to learn broadly at first, then start focusing in depth on what interests me the most as time goes on. Even so, I can't see myself ever going into one area of magic to the exclusion of others. I am the sort of person who orders a different dish every time I go to the same restaurant even though what I ordered last time was superb. I may end up coming back to the superb dish as my favorite, but I can't ignore other possibilities and the unique experiences they provide.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Non-coins?

Does Todd Lassen make those?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8689 Posts

Profile of harris
As my picture indicates, I also feature voice magic in my programs.

After ending Curtis Kam's one handed (right hand)3 for 3 switch as part of his Goblet Routine(POS 2), I go into Rene Lavand's one handed oil and water.(with my left hand)

I do this as part of my magic of imagination/creativity routine, while talking about
i.e. left handed people being in their right mind, brainstorming, alpha/theta brainwave training and other nearly normal topics.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I do a little non-coin magic... Lord help me, I'm not a very well-rounded magician Smile

90% of my stuff is coin, and the other 10% are lead-ins to, precursors for, or in some other way tied to the coins. I guess I'm what you'd call... a niche performer.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I did coin magic until I spent them all. Argh...
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
Yah, I do stuff with jumbo coins, but the only time I bring something other than coins out is my cards, four cards specifically, to do the 5000 different versions of the matrix out there =) hehehehehe
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Non-coin magic?

Sure. If I didn't then I would get bored to be honest. Although I'm getting bored with whats around me right now (could be for the fact that I only am around other magicians once a month if I'm that lucky).

I do a bunch of card stuff (effects people have never seen) as well as a bit of mentalism, and just general close-up work.

Gotta keep a variety going on.

Chris
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Betrayeth the Coinage? NEVER!!!!

But anyway...yes...I have many other effects that are not coin...but my focus lies within coin.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
magicmonkeyphoto
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of magicmonkeyphoto
My favorite is coin magic, but for my own personal taste, I like to offer an audience a variety of different items to see as well as different concepts to experience. I was trying to avoid card tricks just to be different, but found many laymen asking me to do a card trick! That was a shock, I assumed that most people would be sick of card tricks since there are so many. Aparently, an effect done well can be done with any prop and the audience will enjoy it. I don't know why I didn't realize that before. Also, laymen seem to actually like card tricks more than anything else. For the most part, if I am doing a 20 minute act, I usually do 5-10 minutes of coins, 3-5 minutes of cards, and the rest with other items, pens, rubber bands, and other odd stuff that I put together myself.

Lincoln
http://www.lincolnworld.com/products -- For high end mentalist utility devices, ideas, and props for professionals and serious hobbyists. You can follow me on Instagram @Lincolnworldmagic and on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LincolnWorldWatchers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Do you perform non-coin magic ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL