The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Online booking form (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Here's what I use.

http://www.riffclown.com/booking.htm

Please feel free to adapt my booking form and use as you like.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of Hill
What a great format - fully adaptable and comprehensive. Thanks for the tip off
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
How do you programe it to send it to you and to start over?
matt
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
It's all Javascript and Forms. Right click and save target as... edit in notepad or your favorite Webpage editor.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
It wont let me save target as
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of Hill
You may also want to try this - in your web browser

select edit
select view source

you are now looking at the all important code

then edit and save it to your local drive destination

hope this helps
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Hi,
Ive customized it but how do I get the submit button to send to me?
Matt
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Edit this section

<form name="form"
method="post"
action="mailto:YOUREMAIL@ADDRESS.com?SUBJECT=Booking Inquiry"
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Thanks but why does it open up a new message in outlook express? how does that send the information?
Thanks
Matt
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Because the IE session is using your default email program to post an email message. If you click through, you;'ll see the email in your outbox.
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
For another example on how an online booking form looks go to "Book A performer" link on our SAM/IBM website.

http://www.geocities.com/ibm_ring_332/

S. Patrick
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I prefer a simple enquiry form rather than a booking form, I may not want to do that job for some reason and this gives me more control.

Apart from the colour scheme which I found made the writing hard to read, There's Three things I found wrong with patricks form

1, A booker may make a booking, send off the deposit, as it states on the form,and start booking venues etc around that date and time thinking everythings sorted. When the entertainer gets the request (I'm not sure whether it said they phone the booker within 12 or 72 hrs as the colour scheme made it hard to read), they may already be fully booked and then he/she has to phone and tell this booker who may have made lots of preparations based on the booking that they can't do it. If I were the booker I'd be a tad miffed.

2, It that if the cancel within 7 days the deposit is non-refundable. If a definate booking is made whenever they cancel it the deposit should be non-refundable. If they cancel within 7 days (my contract says 14 days) the full fee should be payable. Why? That time/slot has been taken up by their booking, and it's unlikely that you will fill it again at such short notice.

3, It says you should book the performer at least 2 weeks before the event. This should read at least a month, I and many other busy professionals get booked up months in advance. (My next weekend with nothing on is in October.)This also leads back to the problems in reason one. The entertainers on Spatricks clubs site look very proffessional and I'd be surprised if they are not booked well in advance.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
That was an interesting java script Rob, I've not seen one like that before.

I would recommend to anyone using a .php form instead. This will be more reliable & not dependant upon the bookers email system being what you expect. If the booker uses web mail, does not have their defult client set correctly, shares their computer with other users or is using a computer other than their own the form may not work.

I also want to put my weight 100% behind what Emazdad has said. In my opinion you should never expect to close a sale for a booking without actually speaking to the client over the phone. The only exception would be if you are speaking face to face. There are just so many things that can go wrong.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of Hill
I will second and third what emazdad and andy have added. I find that here in ireland, very few domestic users utilise outlook or similar IDE based programs - most just use web based systems. in this light, a form such as this, although exceltionally creativ and useful in many markets, would be more of a headache than anyhing else.

Riff, you have obviously put a great deal of effort into its design, its a credit to your professionalism.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I have an on-line booking form that I made a couple of years ago. It's actually remarkably similair to Rob's form.
I do however agree with Clive's view of it being an enquiry form rather than a booking form. On mine, although I call it a booking form, it clearly states that the booking is not confirmed until I reply.
I do however think it's totally possible to close a deal without ever talking to the person as every single enquiry I have had (where I was available) via the form has turned into a booking through e-mail alone. I too much prefer to do things via the phone so my site is geared towards getting people to phone but some folks like to do it all on-line.
When the on-line booking comes through, I will always tell people to feel free to phone me for any questions or enquries but they always want to just get everything done via e-mail. I think it's a sign of the times that some people want to be able to say "It was easy, I booked it all via the net" and if you phone back on an e-mail enquiry you are actually taking it out of the medium they are more comfortable with.

George
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Thank you for the compliments. As has been said, online forms are a mixed bag. Some individuals prefer that medium and some prefer the phone call. I do try to offer both alternatives. There is also an email link on my main page that gets utilized quite a bit.

I'd like to re-share a note I have shared a few times in the past. I have several email addresses. I have one address I use from my website and 5 additional address I share by word of mouth, two different business cards, flyers and ads, and bumper stickers. I know by the address I get the email on what type of medium reached my prospective client and the two different business cards are for corporate and private parties. One address is handed out only to corporate and one to the casual individual that asks if I do private parties. This extra effort has enabled me to focus on the best form of advertising for me; kind of like a case study in constant progress..
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of Hill
Wowza - that tip alone has taught me a lot! thanks riff!
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
My enquiry form on my site just asks for their phone number, date of party, venue, and a bit where they can write any questions. Depending on the time of day I get the e-mail or whether I'm free on that date /time governs they way I reply.

If I Can do it and it's not too late in the evening, (I never phone anyone after 9:30pm)I phone them. If it is past 9:30pm I send them an e-mail reply and phone them after 9:00am the next day. (after the school run)

If I can't do it, I send an E-mail with alternate dates / times I can do it.

The ones that get me are the ones that type 'AT HOME' in the venue box. I then have to send an e-mail expaining I can't give them a quote as I don't know where abouts home is.

My reply e-mail also includes a very brief rundown of my show along with the quotes, and they get a simple text version of my party timetable and tips page attached.

If I've replied by E-mail and I get a reply saying they want to book me I always complete the booking over the phone. This way I can get all the extra details I need and pass on extra info to the booker. Plus I may find when talking to them that I don't want the job.

My reply e-mail finishes with:-

Might I suggest that to avoid disapointment, if you wish to go ahead and book me you call me on 01752-794159 as soon as you make your decision. E-mail is only as fast as how often we both check it, and sometimes by the time people E-mail me back to book a party the time slot has gone.

I included this because it was happening too many times. several days after I'd replied to their initial question they finally come back to say yes, and it was too late.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I find its more personal and proffesional if its over the phone.
Matt
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Using the forms can be a great benift to selling your show, but they do have a danger. If you don't set them up right they can actually cause people that would otherwise book you to book a competitor instead.

There is a trap there that I fell into when I made mine. I wonder if anyone can guess what it is.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Online booking form (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL