The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Single page newspaper tear (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Hello all, I'm looking for a newspaper tear or other torn and restored to use with a single sheet from a large art pad.

The intended trick is drawing a picture on the board, tearing up the picture, and then restoring it shortly after. I have an idea taken from some other newspaper tears, but I would like to see what suggestions people have.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1349 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Dustin

I believe Axel Hecklau has a version on his Newsflash 2.0 DVD.
It is for tearing up a single poster, which I think would work for you.

He does have several ideas that may be useful for you. It's worth a look.

Best of luck

Mark
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2135 Posts

Profile of David Todd
You may want to take a look at Lu Brent's 'Torn and Restored Magazine Cover' , which could be adapted to an art pad.

https://trickshop.com/torn-restored-magazine-cover.html

Also, Martin Lewis's 'Coupons' , a torn and restored effect using a single newspaper page or magazine cover.

https://magikraft.com/coupons/

You can order it ready-made from Martin or see the August 2016 issue of MAGIC magazine where he shows how to make it yourself in his column 'Making Magic' .

Axel Hecklau
View Profile
Regular user
Berlin / Germany
114 Posts

Profile of Axel Hecklau
On Newsflash 2.0 is a Poster version - BUT it is not a T&R it's like No Tear starting with cue cards to transform it into a poster.
It uses of course the Newsflash folding concept with all advantages but it has no explanation for a tearing process.

But maybe I have a good idea how to adapt this on a sketch pad ( 40 x 30 cm )
Dustin PM me or write me an email...
FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Depending on what your effect concept is, a single page center tear like that of Sreeniva's Sooper could work.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7748
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2020, FrankFindley wrote:
Depending on what your effect concept is, a single page center tear like that of Sreeniva's Sooper could work.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7748

Clever, and an older variant of this idea is one of the methods I've been thinking of going with.
Ideally, I would have liked to be able to do it with blank sheets (the only images being the ones drawn during the performance); but I might get some borders or something printed up so there's more to draw the eye and less issue with people seeing though the paper.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2020, Dustin Baker wrote:
I would have liked to be able to do it with blank sheets (the only images being the ones drawn during the performance); but I might get some borders or something printed up so there's more to draw the eye and less issue with people seeing though the paper.

Than maybe the straight forward "rectangles" type tear would work best? Something like "Fresh Fish" when done vertically. Just tear, fold, and unfold.

https://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Fres......oryId=-1
FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Interesting take on a single sheet newspaper tear from Kikuchi:

FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2020, FrankFindley wrote:
Interesting take on a single sheet newspaper tear from Kikuchi:

This post may have been a litte obtuse. While it may be unmotivated to have a torn newspaper restored in a picture/poster frame, it seems perfectly logical for a sheet from an art pad to do so. The unrestored portion could be half of the artist signiature which would show very visiblly that the unrestored piece (which should be held by a spectator) matches. And a kicker could easily be added that the last piece is also restored.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The late great Karrell Fox published a single page Torn and Restored Newspaper effect years ago. It is still being sold at Magic Inc. The title of the booklet is Final Edition. Still sells at the original price of $10.00.

https://www.magicinc.net/products/final-......ed&_ss=r

You are left with only the single sheet of newspaper, you can PM me if you are interested in requirements.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1815 Posts

Profile of wally
Is Karrell fox newspaper tear on a video or dvd, seems the instructions are knot clear in the booklet ?? I’m looking into this one an pat page 10 second paper tear
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2135 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2021, wally wrote:
Is Karrell fox newspaper tear on a video or dvd, seems the instructions are knot clear in the booklet ?? I’m looking into this one an pat page 10 second paper tear

The Pat Page one is good. On the Karrell Fox "Final Edition" version I agree that the printed instructions from Magic Inc. are minimal , but I think it's clear enough if you lay out the pages of the booklet with the photos and just follow along step by step . Like most of Karrell Fox's material the method is simple and bold, so it's all about presentation, presentation, presentation.

I can't recall if there is video of Karrell Fox performing his Final Edition. If there is it might be on one of the Magic Palace episodes archived on the Magicana website:
https://magicana.com/magicpalace

Or maybe on one of Fox's videos done for Joe Stevens' 'Greater Magic Video Library' series ? I don't remember, but that might be worth an inquiry to Stevens Magic.

https://www.stevensmagic.com/product-tag......ry-dvds/

FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
I always enjoyed Fantasio's performance. See here at 2 minute mark:

wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1815 Posts

Profile of wally
I like the fantasio torn restored newspaper
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7550 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe that was sold by Tannen's at one point.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Yes. My understanding is that it was a later variation of the Al Baker method released through Tannens.

Fielding West has a handling on WGM Newspaper Tear DVD:

https://vimeo.com/545709486
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7550 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I remember something in Top Hat Topics with the illustration of the actual paper tear. I also remember Jay Sterling doing it in his act.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2135 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2021, FrankFindley wrote:
Yes. My understanding is that it was a later variation of the Al Baker method released through Tannens.

I think you're correct. Watching the Fantasio performance it definitely looks like the Al Baker torn & restored method, but I love Fantasio's twist on it , by having the black and white paper fuse into a checkboard pattern. It becomes a unique effect with paper, more of a "blendo" effect, than just another torn and restored newspaper. If you ever want to get your creative juices flowing , just watch the Fantasio lectures that he did at the Magic Castle (still available on DVD: 'Lecturing Live At The Magic Castle' - Fantasio Vol. 1 , Vol. 2, Vol. 3 ) The man was so creative ! He was so much more than only canes and candles. (but of course he was great with the canes and candles and in his lectures he showed how to do some very special things with those products. )

Honestly, I have to admit that I get some of the variations on the torn and restored newspaper mixed up (most of them share some features in common). As I recall, Slydini's is also a single sheet of newspaper that is torn and restored. So I get the Al Baker single sheet T & R and the Slydini single sheet T & R confused sometimes.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Indeed. Fantasio had a brilliantly creative mind. Everything he touched was polished. He taught me his handling of serpentine silk with the smooth horizontal knotting move. Much better than what is generally taught.

I still think the most magical looking piece I've ever seen is the Fantasio-Hughes cane to flowers. One of these days we will need to persuade you, Richard, to document how Fantasio's candelabra worked. I don't know of anyone else who may know.

But I majorly digress...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7550 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Fantasia's act is now part of the Copperfield collection. It was special for David as the Fantasio dancing and vanishing cane was one of his early favorites.
I will have t think about telling about the candelabra.
Did you know that he also made an automatic vanishing candle? Ken Klosterman had one. Pretty clever.
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Single page newspaper tear (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL