The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Legality (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1297 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I live in New York City now. I was told Handcuffs and Thumbcuffs are illegal to own. Is there a special license I can get or need to have to use them in my act? Thanks in advance, Harry
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4415 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Hi Harry.

Sounds like a question for a lawyer rather than a chat room. Not being awkward or shooting you down - I just wouldn't trust the people on here with such an important question. Well, maybe I would. Also, I can't think of anyone on here from NY.

I know that in the UK it's illegal to carry knives over a certain length. But I do knife throwing and there is a club called KATTA UK. We have a membership card and on it is some blurb for the police.

Id checks with the police too. I was once stopped for fire breathing in Coventry one evening. But that's a story for when I have more time!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I spent the first 26 years of my life living in NYC. I never heard of this, and yet...

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/20......147.html

This New York judicial code says different.

I have the feeling that if you are a magician, this is the kind of law no one would pay any attention to.
Probably the same for consenting adult play.

When I was a teenager in the 70's, many of the shops that catered to illegal use of marijuana, and they were everywhere, also had these item openly displayed in the window or the display cases.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You can just call them "toy cuffs", which are allowed under the law, and prove it in a challenge by showing how easily you escape from them. They MUST be toy cuffs! I note that they never got around to banning plastic cinch cuffs, which means Al-Quadir's "Ins and Outs of Plastic Cuffs" can still be used in the Big Apple.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4415 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2020, jimgerrish wrote:
You can just call them "toy cuffs", which are allowed under the law, and prove it in a challenge by showing how easily you escape from them. They MUST be toy cuffs! I note that they never got around to banning plastic cinch cuffs, which means Al-Quadir's "Ins and Outs of Plastic Cuffs" can still be used in the Big Apple.

Yes, that's a great idea. Escape from stuff and say the stuff you escape from must be toy stuff as its easy to escape from. That will make you look like a world-class escape artist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Legality (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL