The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » One Coin Vanish (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mrmagik68
View Profile
Elite user
NYC
491 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2020, countrymaven wrote:
You don't really need a complete vanish at the end of that routine. You can do the spider vanish or something similar,...
Reveal the last coin has travelled, and pick up the coins and quietly add the palmed shell to one of the coins. Very easy to do and the coins will be "talking" anyways. count the coins. Next, drop the coins in a spec's hand or on a table , palming the shell. Step back, put your hands in your pockets casually. Or you can just put the coins in your pocket after recounting them or displaying them. If you do this casually, nobody will suspect anything and if they ask to see the coins, you have an out. Spectators just don't suspect you are palming a sh-- when you just showed the correct number of coins again.

countrymaven,

I like the way you think! I got burned once after doing the Roth coins across routine. At the end they snatched my hand and tried to turn it palm up but in the action of me pulling my hand away the shell dropped to the floor and it was all over after that lol. It's only happened once so I don't really stress it but it sure would be great to come up with a way to deceptively ditch the shell and end super clean.

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1118 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I do that, what I recommended, and never get caught. Remember this. Many magicians from WAY BACK agree that the most mind boggling magic involves switching something in and or out. At its best, that is what this trick involves. Of course this is not a universal rule in magic. But think about it. IF you want, they can check out the coins at the beginning. Better just say check these out, don't mention examining them. Add the palmed sh----, do the magic. They end up with all the coins but they still wonder if you had an extra one? So you help them-- you take and cleanly count the coins, showing nothing else. Add the palmed sh--- as you get them back, and count them out cleanly. Put them in your pocket. If they ask to see them, bring them out without the sh.... enjoy!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8642 Posts

Profile of funsway
Easy to agree with CM in this last post. A causal or explicit Count Verification can mask a switch in/out for many effects. Also the idea of putting them away in pocket or pouch
and only taking them out at spectator request provides the inference that "everything is natural here." Some performers make the verification seem too forced and unnatural -
to be avoided. No comments like, "Let's make sure I still have four coins."

I have always preferred having a spectator(s) select coins from a basket of mixed ones and hand them too me. I then refer to "your coin."
This both indicates the coins are normal and allows for easy switches using a Utility Pass. I might say, "I need several silver coins about the size of a poker chip.
Yes, that one will do - a couple of more please . That is three, maybe one more."

Dropping these coins back in the basket also allows for switching and ditches. For example, ask for the basket and take in left hand nor palming the shell.
Drop in the "borrowed coins" one by one with the clean right hand. Leave the shell underneath as you set the basket aside, or hand the basket back out
as your left hand ditches the shell. You can even give the stack of four to a spectator to drop back in, "One at a time, please - I must return all four borrowed coins."

All this also plays on any suspicion that you had an extra coin. Some spectators like to think they have "figured it out" and it can't hurt to feed that suspicion a bit and then prove it wrong -
gently, of course. For example, I might appear to start dropping the entire stack into the basket - then hesitate as if being influenced by eye contact with several observers.
Then hand the stack to a spectator to count back in. No one will be looking at your left hand, and any suspicions melt away.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
mrmagik68
View Profile
Elite user
NYC
491 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Good stuff, funsway! Thank you!
Original Card Clinician
mrmagik68
View Profile
Elite user
NYC
491 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2020, countrymaven wrote:
I do that, what I recommended, and never get caught. Remember this. Many magicians from WAY BACK agree that the most mind boggling magic involves switching something in and or out. At its best, that is what this trick involves. Of course this is not a universal rule in magic. But think about it. IF you want, they can check out the coins at the beginning. Better just say check these out, don't mention examining them. Add the palmed sh----, do the magic. They end up with all the coins but they still wonder if you had an extra one? So you help them-- you take and cleanly count the coins, showing nothing else. Add the palmed sh--- as you get them back, and count them out cleanly. Put them in your pocket. If they ask to see them, bring them out without the sh.... enjoy!

Good approach. Certainly something to think about and work into the way I handle coins with spectators. Thanks guys, Café members rock!!!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1118 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Funsway, thanks for your great comments. Yes, it is amazing as you said, how being casual and not emphasizing INSPECTING the coins or props can add to the magic. Great comments. thanks so much.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » One Coin Vanish (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL