The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Favorite Mem Deck Effect (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MatrixAddict
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of MatrixAddict
I did a search and could not find a thread for this. What is your favorite memorized deck effect?
brianconnor
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of brianconnor
Hard to pick a favorite, but Card College by Matt Baker stands out. Velleity and Twain by Patrick Redford are also great.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
My go to is always Simon Aronson’s Two Beginnings. Michael Close’s Birthday Book is also very strong
hacketr2
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of hacketr2
Simon Aronson - Invisible Card (w marked mem deck)
langston3711
View Profile
Regular user
Cumming, GA
188 Posts

Profile of langston3711
While I could list off a ton of favorites, including those already named, a couple that I've had a lot of fun with lately are Close Encounters by Allen Ackerman and Pandora's Paradox by Michael Vincent. My handling varies slightly from Michael's but its basically the same trick.
When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable
~Teller
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
Past Present and Future by Simon Aronson is always fun to perform
however when it comes to casual performance, Invisible card, Two Beginnings and Mnemonicosis are my favourite
RobertApodaca
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
Mind reading a whole clump of cards a spectator pulled out.

The Last Laugh - Darwin Ortiz.
MatrixAddict
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of MatrixAddict
Thanks for the responses. I'm looking to pick up a memorized deck book soon and these responses help quite a bit.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4931 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Test your luck by Darwin Ortiz. A strong and quick effect.
dclxvinyc
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of dclxvinyc
IMHO, there is no effect in card magic greater than Mnemonicosis. It's from Mnemonica, but once learned, you could use any stack.

A spectator names any card and cuts to it himself without the magician handling the cards. It's truly remarkable. It takes serious guts to start trying it because you will undoubtedly go through a long period of time where you frequently fail. It takes a while to build up your chops, so to speak.

When I first started doing it, I failed often and it made me nervous, so I stopped practicing it. Little by little over the years I worked on it, and once I got to the point I was getting successes, I deeply regretted not putting the time in sooner.

But I will say, at an important interview, I was asked to do a trick. I pulled out the deck, put it on the table. It was the last I touched it ever.
I asked my interviewer to name a card. She named the King of Spades. I asked her to cut the deck and turn the top half over on the table so she can see the cards she didn't pick -- really just revealing my key card.

I saw that beautiful five of clubs and I knew she had cut right to the King of Spades on the first try.

I didn't say anything else. I just smiled and sipped my drink. Realizing she'd get no more instructions or guidance from me, she reluctantly turned over the card she cut to, saw the King of Spades and freaked the heck out. She went through the deck to find a trick or a gimmick. She gasped and started a dozen sentenced she never finished: "How," "But, I could have..." "What the"

I never touched the cards again and let her keep the deck.

Mnemonicosis, when done right, never fails to have an absolutely unreal impact. Since it's a truly free choice and the mechanics are all in the spectator's hands, it's impossible to backtrack and looks just like real magic.
MatrixAddict
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of MatrixAddict
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2020, dclxvinyc wrote:
IMHO, there is no effect in card magic greater than Mnemonicosis. It's from Mnemonica, but once learned, you could use any stack.

A spectator names any card and cuts to it himself without the magician handling the cards. It's truly remarkable. It takes serious guts to start trying it because you will undoubtedly go through a long period of time where you frequently fail. It takes a while to build up your chops, so to speak.

When I first started doing it, I failed often and it made me nervous, so I stopped practicing it. Little by little over the years I worked on it, and once I got to the point I was getting successes, I deeply regretted not putting the time in sooner.

But I will say, at an important interview, I was asked to do a trick. I pulled out the deck, put it on the table. It was the last I touched it ever.
I asked my interviewer to name a card. She named the King of Spades. I asked her to cut the deck and turn the top half over on the table so she can see the cards she didn't pick -- really just revealing my key card.

I saw that beautiful five of clubs and I knew she had cut right to the King of Spades on the first try.

I didn't say anything else. I just smiled and sipped my drink. Realizing she'd get no more instructions or guidance from me, she reluctantly turned over the card she cut to, saw the King of Spades and freaked the heck out. She went through the deck to find a trick or a gimmick. She gasped and started a dozen sentenced she never finished: "How," "But, I could have..." "What the"

Mnemonicosis, when done right, never fails to have an absolutely unreal impact. Since it's a truly free choice and the mechanics are all in the spectator's hands, it's impossible to backtrack and looks just like real magic.

Wow, this one sounds amazing. I've considered picking up the Tamariz book for awhile now.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1063 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2020, dclxvinyc wrote:

Agreed. I LOVE Mnemonicosis... my favorite thing to do with Mnemonica.
PRAISE FOR TIM'S BOOK, PERFORM:

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"My favorite book for performers!" Bill Cook

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of Newb2
Three Card Location - Steve Ehlers
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1522 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
I've always been a fan of ACAAN, but have had a lot of fun jazzing around with mnemonicosis. It's super fun and ends differently most times. Keeps me coming back to it. The Steve Ehlers routine mentioned above is awesome as well.
dclxvinyc
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of dclxvinyc
For anyone keeping score, with mnemonicosis the spectator cuts right to their card about one in every seven and a half times.
I keep a journal of every time I perform it: which card was named, how they cut and how we got there.

The reason it's so frequent is:

1. Any card in the top 13 I will usually spell to or do the Jack McMillen psychic stop force
2. Past 13, you guide them to cut the which part of the deck it's in ("cut it right in half," "cut deep into the deck, leave very few cards," etc)
3. Every time they cut, you have two options: the top card of the tabled packet or the bottom card of the pack in their hands.

So, you have about 39 cards their working with, not 52. You direct them to cut within certain parameters, give or take 10-13 cards, an every cut yields two immediate outs.

If anyone would like to know more about what to do the other seven and a half times when they DON'T cut to their card, I've written pretty extensively in SHUFFLED NOT STIRRED about my method for having the spectator jazz to their own card from any position cut to.

I'll say one more thing before shutting up and going to bed: have fun with mnemonicosis. You can do it over and over to people if you change your patter and you make them think you're just improvising. Which you are. But, for the love of funk, if they cut to their card on the first try without any jazz or nonsense, your set with cards is done. You will not be able to follow it without diminishing the effect. Walk away on a high note. Smile Smile Smile
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1415 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
For those of you that haven’t read Matt Baker’s book ‘The Buena Vista Social Club’ I have to say it’s amazing.

On my new review show we review the book and Ryland performs one of our favourite routines from the book.

You can check out the review and performance at the link below but rest assured this book it ace!

https://youtu.be/WCMnK8bHZZg
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1063 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
To add to dclxvinyc's great story...

A large group of us were at a restaurant, and I set the deck down in front of the woman sitting across from me and said, "Name any card."

"I don't know, a four?"

"What suit?"

I'm thinking, "please say clubs, please say clubs..."

"Clubs."

Ahhhh.... I milked it for all it was worth, having her imagine her card somewhere in the deck, and then slowly rising to the top.

I never touched the deck, and had her turn over the top card.

It was real magic, and I showed her nothing else after that.
PRAISE FOR TIM'S BOOK, PERFORM:

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"My favorite book for performers!" Bill Cook

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Magic1
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
390 Posts

Profile of Magic1
So great Tim.
Oliver Munoz Gutierrez
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Oliver Munoz Gutierrez
My Go-To is Asi Winds Super Vision with some little modifications. Promise... its worth a try
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2020, Oliver Munoz Gutierrez wrote:
My Go-To is Asi Winds Super Vision with some little modifications. Promise... its worth a try

I second this! I would love to know Oliver what your modifications are?
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Favorite Mem Deck Effect (25 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL