The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Favorite Mem Deck Effect (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MC Mirak
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MC Mirak
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2020, hypnoman1 wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2020, Oliver Munoz Gutierrez wrote:
My Go-To is Asi Winds Super Vision with some little modifications. Promise... its worth a try

I second this! I would love to know Oliver what your modifications are?

Following this discussion around Super Vision.

My biggest problem with this effect was the structuring of the reveals. Hopefully I'm not confusing this with a different effect. Sorry, I don't have my book on me at this moment.

I have a good approach for the first part but ran into issues with the reveal. Below is how I handle the first part these days:
- I use either psychological tendencies to force the identity of at least one of the cards (if the psy forces work) or I use Michael Murray's Springboard principle to get there. The Springboard principle works great because they mixed the deck behind their back before grabbing a card themselves and the deck is immediately put into the box
- I then ask out of which pocket they would like to pull the card they "are thinking of"
- Progress with effect as written from there

So the idea is that I don't name the cards, they mentally pick "a random card" and that is the card they pull out of their pocket.

If you perform the effect, you see the problem (what about the other card?).

I worked on this a while and have come up with an approach but what do you guys do here? You should actually end up in the same situation if you follow the standard protocol in the book but it's a bit more of a problem with my approach due to the amazement when the thought of card is brought out. The other card represents an anti-climax and the process takes too much time and is too variable to do the thought of card ploy twice.

If you don't want to answer what you do since I didn't give what I do, PM me and I'll tell you. It's nothing exciting but I don't have 50 posts yet and I don't want this thread to move to where I can't see it anymore.
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
If you structure the routine differently, you can reveal their non choice first increasing the suspense for the actual selection.
MC Mirak
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MC Mirak
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2020, JBSmith1978 wrote:
If you structure the routine differently, you can reveal their non choice first increasing the suspense for the actual selection.

Thanks for the response.

Right, but in what way that stays congruent with the ending?

The end of the effect is, as Asi states, supposed to elicit the idea of the card changing into whatever they want as they pull it out of their pocket. I feel like me revealing I know the other card detracts from that. Plus I need to add framing (am I reading their mind, did I reverse pick pocket them).

I've also found the timing to be problematic. If I reveal the first card prior to the thought of card sequence, then it seems like I already know it somehow, seeing as I knew the other one.

If, instead, I go through the thought of card process, reveal the other card first, then the focus and impact of the second reveal is lessened since there has been so much time (remember, too much time and people forget what happened).

I guess I'll just say it, generally my old approach was to take the unselected card/pocket and have them hand it to somebody else, who I do a mind reading effect with (so it ends up being a totally different effect). I still don't like it though since it sort of portends what the next phase might be since now I know one of the two cards.

The obvious solution to the problem then was to have them take only one card. The benefit here is that you can also add "And you can take the card from the top or bottom of the deck, whatever you want", which you can't do in the standard handling.

I feel like I miss out on scope in that event though. Hence following this.

Thanks!
Oliver Munoz Gutierrez
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Oliver Munoz Gutierrez
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2020, hypnoman1 wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2020, Oliver Munoz Gutierrez wrote:
My Go-To is Asi Winds Super Vision with some little modifications. Promise... its worth a try

I second this! I would love to know Oliver what your modifications are?

Hard to explain this in a few sentences... for me its part of a weird, funny story about dedication to playing cards and introduces the idea behind my presentation for OOTW perfectly.
If you are really interested, in the whole plot, feel free to send me a pm.
ltrblst
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Asi Wind ACAAN, the cleanest ACAAN that I know, my favorite version, I think it's the best without using elaborate props.

Do you know any other ACAAN using a memdeck that you like better?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Favorite Mem Deck Effect (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL