The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New to Mentalism, any recommendations? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
andrew_green
View Profile
New user
London
8 Posts

Profile of andrew_green
Hi everyone! Smile

I'm new to Mentalism and wondered if there are any recommended starting places to learn? In particular propless mentalism.

I also wanted to ask what are your personal favourite mentalism routines you've seen/performed and what would you consider a 'must learn'?

Cheers!
Andrew
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1443 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I started with "Self-Working Mental Magic" by Karl Fulves. All his books have some mentalism, and there are some stunners in "Easy Magic" and "SW Paper Magic".

Also have a look at the first effect in the mental magic chapter of the Mark Wilson Course. It's a lesson in mentalism.

After that, the classics are Annemann's "Practical Mental Magic" and "Thirteen Steps to Mentalism" by Corinda.

My personal favourite? Probably (Original) Kolossal Killer by Kenton Knepper. There are numerous variations and presentations (I contributed one to the follow-up book).

Barry
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1775 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Banacheck’s Penguin live lecture has a wealth of excellent routines which you get to see presented then taught by a world class Mindreader. Also Banachek’s PSI series and Richard Osterlind’s Easy to Master Mental Miracles videos are superb.
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
692 Posts

Profile of Waters.
This:

https://www.lybrary.com/fundamentals-p-562.html

I miss the good Doctor.

Enjoy!

Sean
Check out my (soon to be released) ebook, WANDERER at..
www.experience-architecture.com
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
692 Posts

Profile of Waters.
... I realize that I did not answer the question directly though. The “Three Canisters and a Bill” routine is worth the price. Genius.
Check out my (soon to be released) ebook, WANDERER at..
www.experience-architecture.com
Luke Wolf
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Luke Wolf
I would also go for 13 steps to mentalism, but would add it's better to read the chapter from the last one to the first. Fulves is also a great recommendation, and everything by Bob Cassidy!
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4289 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quinta by Phill Smith

P.A.T.H.S. by Matt Mello

and

The Real Thing by Atlas Brookings, check out his Penguin lecture, the entire thing is on propless.

Also, it dpeends on what you mean by propless, is using a bill or a phone considered propless to you. In that case there are many many others.

Cipher, Wiki-Test, Earworm, The Stranger, Inject on phone are ones I use a lot
UnbiasedMagicReviews
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of UnbiasedMagicReviews
Stick to the ABCs....

Annemann
Baker
Corinda
YouTube & Instagram - UnbiasedMagicReviews
I buy/review magic to help you make better decisions
Jed Maxwell
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of Jed Maxwell
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2020, UnbiasedMagicReviews wrote:
Stick to the ABCs....

Annemann
Baker
Corinda

That's genius. Two thirds of what I do is from those three men.
"You're a mentalist!"
P.Jane
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of P.Jane
Paul Brook - Alchemical tool!
MentalPhilo
View Profile
New user
Texas
7 Posts

Profile of MentalPhilo
Andrew,

A monthly subscription to SCRIBD can get you access to quite a few of the titles that have been suggested.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2489 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Does Scribd still host pirated products? Last I checked they did nothing to prevent that and I know I've seen unauthorized copies of stuff on there.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
MentalPhilo
View Profile
New user
Texas
7 Posts

Profile of MentalPhilo
Witch Doctor, thank you for pointing this out. Now I feel horrible for suggesting it. Short answer, after some research, yes they do. I wrongly thought after all that happened with Napster and similar platforms this was no longer an issue for easy to find, large platforms.. Regrettably I am wrong. I know copyright infringement exists on the net, I just didn’t think SCRIBD was one of those places. Thank you again for posting and pointing this out.

Andrew,

Please disregard my prior suggestion. I apologize, SCRIBD is not what I would call an ethical web-site.

Your local library may have some of the titles recommend available.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2020, P.Jane wrote:
Paul Brook - Alchemical tool!

You're...recommending... Alchemical Tools... to a beginner?! Smile

Disagree 100%. Great book but not, by any means, appropriate for a beginner. Especially in comparison to some of the stuff recommended above. Just because something is good for experienced performers doesn't mean it's good for beginners.

UnbiasedMagicReviews' ABC recommendation is good. I'd throw in Fulves' Self-Working Mental Magic as well. You can pick that up ($6-$9) on Amazon and Practical Mental Effects (aka Practical Mental Magic) on Lybrary ($6). That means you can get BOTH for $12-$15.

Prism is a good bridge between the above and the below. Great set of methods and presentations to be exposed to.

With a little bit of experience, I'd move onto recommending Unreal by Bruce Bernstein or The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy. These are works I would have preferred to have read earlier in my personal journey in mentalism. Unreal is great just with so much good content ("Eat at Joe's" can close entire shows). Cassidy is Cassidy, 'nuff said.

Moving beyond that, we're finally getting into stuff like Absolute Magic and Alchemical Tools.

As for the focus on propless, I'd go with the Psychological Subtleties series. PS2 and PS3 were great. I have the original version of Psychological Subtleties, prior to the current PS1 edition but I'm sure that's great too.

And, for the record, I own and have read everything I mention above multiple times: https://i.imgur.com/xuBOkUi.jpg
johnhsawyer
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of johnhsawyer
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2020, andrew_green wrote:
Hi everyone! Smile

I'm new to Mentalism and wondered if there are any recommended starting places to learn? In particular propless mentalism.

I also wanted to ask what are your personal favourite mentalism routines you've seen/performed and what would you consider a 'must learn'?

Cheers!
Andrew

I highly recommend following the advice in this post from David Thiel. The information within the suggested books is invaluable.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......715873#1

-jhs
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9921 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
"New to Mentalism, any recommendations?"

Run! ...while you still can
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
"New to Mentalism, any recommendations?"

Run! ...while you still can

I always feel slightly odd when I agree with anything Mindpro writes (but it happens surprisingly often) but... I agree (I need a shower now, I feel dirty...)
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9921 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Lol!
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2386 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Study acting/theater.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Jporter123
View Profile
New user
Pueblo, CO
7 Posts

Profile of Jporter123
Honestly I started with some penguin lives. Richard osterlind and bob Cassidy. They both have different ways of going about what they do. It will give you a feel for what different styles look like and show you a few effects and ideas behind them along the way. After that get bob cassidys fundamentals and you should be on your way
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New to Mentalism, any recommendations? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL