The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Artificial Intelligence (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
Artificial intelligence (AI) refers to the simulation of human intelligence in machines that are programmed to think like humans and mimic their actions. The term may also be applied to any machine that exhibits traits associated with a human mind such as learning and problem-solving.

The enterprising magician will find no difficulty in acquiring an artificial intelligence machine, which can mimic the actions of the mentalist, mind reader.

If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4863 Posts

Profile of landmark
Like Pop's Teleportation machine, perhaps one can have fun presenting a cheesy AI machine that spits out all kinds of accurate predictions.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8671 Posts

Profile of funsway
It is interesting how the definition of AI has changed from the 80-90's when the challenge became popular.

When that standard failed to be met, proponents just changed the definition as an illusion of accomplishment.

Besides, the way in which human intelligence seems to be declining, in a century a pet rock may be call AI.

One must ask, "just what is it these machines a mimicing?"
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE CREATES MAGIC TRICKS

https://magazine.scienceconnected.org/20......ligence/

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
When the fake artificial intelligence machine is attached to the head it can be proposed that it enhances the power of the mind and gives one strange ability such as mind over matter and the like. Artificial intelligence itself is quite a topical subject and thus it might amuse and arouse the interest or imagination of the company. Lots of magic experiments it seems to me might fit the bill.

https://www.amazingscience.news/?s=mind+reading

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
The interrelationship between the inner and outer worlds and our apparent ability to control either one with the other is the very definition of magic and sorcery; put simply, while magic is, mind over matter, sorcery is, matter over mind.

If an artificial intelligence machine can apparently enhance one’s intelligence or the power of one’s mind, then that in itself is sorcery, as opposed to magic. If one uses that enhanced power to mysteriously move something from place or condition to another that is magic.

Is the combination of sorcery and magic unique?

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8671 Posts

Profile of funsway
Is the posturing of artificial definitions actually intelligence at all?

Perhaps in your world. In mine we pretend at magic and pretend at sorcery with a definition of either not defined by someone else.
In the mean time we appreciate awe&wonder as it occurs around us with no need/desire to control it.
If we can control it is science and neither sorcery or magic.

Artificially pretending at something artificial does not produce anything resembling truth or fact.

But, pretending your claims as anything but bosh, the combination of false premise and false evidence is very ancient.

You can define yourself into any imagined world and self-justify by circular reasoning. Religions do it all the time.

Does "ritual" = sorcery and "faith" = magic? For some, yes. Is that artificial? is it intelligence? it certainly does deal with "enhanced power."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6245 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
This thread makes me remember an article I read many decades ago. Some guy decided to see if he could teach a computer the rules of comedy. After setting the program up, the computer was able to come up with some very funny lines. I don't remember all of them, but the one I always remember had to do when the computer made a bunch of funny headlines. This is the one that really got to me: "Hurricane kills five then self."

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
The term artificial intelligence conjures up sci-fi images of robots gone rogue, which reminds me of Ken.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
According to my AI machine, if one puts any three-digit number followed by New Cases into google then one will get a news story on the virus.

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8671 Posts

Profile of funsway
On Google, if you hover over the search line a list of predictions will appear as to what you might wish to search if you forgot what you were doing.
Yo can provide feedback on the accuracy or usefulness of these predictions to support their data mining invasion.

This does not emulate any human intelligence activity, so is not artificial anything.

It does perhaps that if human intelligence is dropped low enough it will be easy for your toaster to emulate.

Prediction? I wonder who they sell the gleaned data to?

The tragic side is that when you do enter an subject for a search you do not get focused results - just a bunch of ads and guesses as to what you might really want.

an "intelligent" search engine would give me exactly what is asked for and nothing else. Playing minds games is not proof of intelligence.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15959 Posts

Profile of tommy
One can, of course, deceive AI machines. One can become virtually invisible to surveillance cameras by wearing sophisticated clothing.

"These vulnerabilities allow a small, carefully designed change in how inputs are presented to a system to completely alter its output, causing it to confidently arrive at manifestly wrong conclusions."

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/363/6433/1287

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Artificial Intelligence (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL