The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Billets for the Modern Mindreader by Julien Losa (46 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1918 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Coming soon to Penguin Magic, Billets for the Modern Mindreader by Julien Losa.

This is really, really good! Julien has advance billet work in ways that you just have to see. This video course contains what I consider to be real breakthroughs in billet work. If you are proficient with classic peeks and switches and are looking for next level techniques, this is it.

I will review each section of the video at a time.
AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1918 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
The first section of Billets for the Modern Mindreader covers U.M.O.S. I won’t reveal what that stands for, but will say Julien has taken a very old full billet reading method and modernized it in a way that allows it to be used out in the open, right in front of the spectator, in the most deceptive manner. Julien’s handling is ingenious. It looks beautiful only when you know what is happening, because you cannot see what you know is occurring. If you don’t know what to look for, it’s completely invisible. U.M.O.S. is one of the most beautiful and deceptive full billet peeks I have ever seen. U.M.O.S. uses card stock or business cards.

Very excited about this release, and looking forward to mastering U.M.O.S.
AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1918 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
The video download is 33 minutes total length, and the U.M.O.S. runs from the start to 8:53. Also want to mention Julien shows how U.M.O.S. may be used with your bare hands only, and also with props, including a small wooden box, a cap and a hat.

All of the peeks taught use a billet folded into quarters.

The next section of the video is Palm Reading Peek Plot: (8:54 to 18:40). This is really cool and may be my favorite part of the video. Julien shows two different handlings for getting a full billet read in the process of explaining that the lines on the hand mean different things, and tell something about a person. He doesn’t teach how to read palms but shows how this peek works very nicely in the context of a palm reading. Two different handlings are taught, one involving a switch, then a read, the second using a wallet with a certain feature most of us probably have. With the wallet handling, the effect is the card folded into quarters is put into the wallet, the wallet can be casually shown on both sides and the wallet is then put away. No need to go back to the wallet or open it again. Palm Reading Peek Plot is one of the cleverest and well hidden full billet peeks I’ve ever seen. I love it!

Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1261 Posts

Profile of Cervier
I am very familiar with many switches and peeks and CTs etc. and very happy with what exists. I have a routine that requires I read a full billet after is has been folded. The method I use invoslves switching the billet and turning around for a confortable read. Very simple, completely justified. Then one night, I saw Julien perform my routine, but do a read directly in front of the participant, in a 3-second move that made my jaw drop!

Stunninger wrote the word "breakthrough". I don't know, maybe. What I am sure of is, all of a sudden, doors opened. I was feeling a bit like a caveman who has been making fire by hitting two pieces of flint together and who is suddenly handed a lighter!

Yeah... And the guy isn't a dreamer who imagines fancy stuff that doesn(t work in actual performance, he's a worker with thousands of shows under his belt and that's one of the reasons why I didn't dismiss his billet moves after a first "wow", as I would have if he had been an ingenious but non performing mind.

I love billet work! I like how it feels like "original mentalism", low-tech almost bare handed mentalism, yet allows for miracles. This is GOLD! Smile

Of course, I must tell you Julien is a friend. I have known for a long time that he loves billet work. But it's only recently that I discovered he is a true master of this art. Really, there should be an ELO classification, as there is for chess, and he'd be a Geand Master or something like that. But he's very casual about it. "Oh, you now about that silex thing? I've come up with something I call FOS, 'Flint on Steroids'..." bang, here's the lighter...
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6423 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Has he said when this will be out and the price?

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1340 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
This sounds super exciting, Stunninger! Looking forward to learning from it when it is released. Thanks for the reviews!

Seth
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Waters.
There is ingenious billet work here. I have had the immense pleasure of viewing this video. Lovers of billet work will be delighted.
Check out my (soon to be released) ebook, WANDERER at..
www.experience-architecture.com
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of dyoung
I must admit Im curious about this one. As I have a steroid pumped particular move, that I used to use a lot back in the day. Might have to pick this up when it becomes available depending on cost. Smile

All the best,
Dan
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6423 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
First, full disclosure, I was sent this billet course by Julien and for free… although I kept trying to pay for it, but he wouldn’t take it.

Now, having said that, I would have gladly paid for this course. Here’s the thing: You always hear the idiom “There’s nothing new under the sun”… well, Julien apparently has found a new sun to be under. He has developed some great techniques with billets. And you can tell that he uses them constantly.

On top of all that, he is an excellent teacher, covers all the angles, has a sense of humor and just a great thinker.

Hands down a great buy when it comes out. You’ll be treated to some wonderful NEW ideas. Loved it!!!

Greg
ma-j-cien
View Profile
New user
France
49 Posts

Profile of ma-j-cien
Hello everyone !

Oh wow, thank you SO much for the kind words ! Truly appreciated !!!

There's not much more to be said... ahum, yeah, so it's a 33 min download with 5 techniques, and 4 variations.
I can give you some more details :

U.M.O.S. : No switch, no tear, FULL billet peek. My take on a classic and underestimated technique (that's usually done after a switch or a tear by the way.... But not this time !). Perfect for drawing, number, single word.

Palmreading Peek Plot : A way of reading an info right under the nose of your spectator, with a totally natural move, covered from (pretty much) all angles ! With or without a switch ! You're looking at the FULL billet, and this one's perfect for everything : drawing, number, single word and even a full sentence !

Hold My Wrist Peek : No switch, no tear, FULL billet peek. VERY good angles too on this one ! Good for drawing, number, single word. While reading a full sentence might be a bit tricky with this peek, you could still be able to read 2 or 3 words.

I need to focus peek : This one might require a bit of courage the first time you'd try it in performance, but once you've done it, you'll feel better. Also, it's easier to do than it looks like... and guess what : yep, again, FULL billet peek No switch, no tear and yet the billet is always in view for your spectator. Good for drawing, number, words (up to 3, maximum. You COULD take more time to read a sentence but I wouldnt recommend it, it would just be a call to get burnt.)

In hand focus after a switch : Pretty self explained title ! Another solution to read a billet after a switch, standing up, no jacket required (I'm saying this because on my first video [S]Witch I was reading while grabbing something inside my jacket pocket). Perfect for drawing, number, single word.

No trick, no routine, just the rough techniques are demonstrated and explained. But those techniques will adapt to any billet routine ! Even enhanced them in my humble opinion. I've been doing A Dead Name Duplication by Annemann (but the spectator keeps HIS billet...), Name and Place by Cassidy (with my techniques you can even give back the billets !)

There is also a quick section where I discuss briefly the type of paper to be used.

It should be on Penguin anytime soon I guess !

I hope you'll like it !

Best,
Julien
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1918 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Not too much more to add to Julien’s very nice summary above, but I will finish my review for completeness.

Hold My Wrist Peek: 18:42 - 22:42.

A wonderful full billet read using a single, quarter folded card, that happens in the process of asking the participant to hold your wrist. You begin clean and end clean with no switches or props. Ingenious.

Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1918 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Through the Glass Peek and I Need to Focus Peek (22:44 - 27:09)

Through the glass peek allows you to read the billet while taking a drink from a glass.

I need to focus Peek is a very bold full billet read that occurs while you appear to be holding the folded card at your finger tips. As Julien says, this one takes some practice. They all do. Like anything worthwhile, you will need to invest the time to practice and become proficient.

DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
562 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
I’ve had my eye on this thread with great interest! The download is now live:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/13792

Picking it up now! Can’t wait Julien Smile

Best wishes,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX

ELEMENTARY: Now Available!
ALL PROJECTS AVAILABLE AT: www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues.html
ma-j-cien
View Profile
New user
France
49 Posts

Profile of ma-j-cien
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2020, DrewBstoss wrote:
I’ve had my eye on this thread with great interest! The download is now live:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/13792

Picking it up now! Can’t wait Julien Smile

Best wishes,

Drew

Yay ! Sweet !!!I hope you'll like it !

Also, while I'm here : I really enjoy your work ! Saw your penguin live, brilliant ! Looking forward to grab a copy of your book, I need to make sure I properly receive stuff here though :/

Best,
Julien
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1918 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
In hand focus after a switch (27:11 - 31:12)

Another full billet peek that occurs just after a switch where the spectator appears to see you simply gazing at their card, folded into quarters. Simply beautiful! And so deceptive. In Julien’s hands, masterful.

What type of paper? (31:14 - 33) a short discussion about which types of paper/cards work best, which do not work, and a recommendation for the cards Julien uses.

In summary, this is an exceptionally strong release on techniques that genuinely advance billet work. Highest recommendation.

reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1248 Posts

Profile of reese
Looking for a review from someone who isn't a friend or wasn't given the material for free. Thanks.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2020, reese wrote:
Looking for a review from someone who isn't a friend or wasn't given the material for free. Thanks.

Someone, somewhere will have to spend their money and then choose to report back. Could that not be you?
I've asked to be banned
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3475 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Greg Arce recommendation is solid and good enough for me to know this will be a worthwhile investment in the subject.
ma-j-cien
View Profile
New user
France
49 Posts

Profile of ma-j-cien
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2020, reese wrote:

Fair enough ! Smile

Meanwhile, while I absolutely understand your point, I just want to clarify some things : I don't personally know Stunninger, I've sent him the course because Marc Paul (to whom I've sent it as well to get some feedbacks/insights) told me he would certainly enjoy this kind of work, and I never asked for a review (although, obviously I secretly had hopes he'd like it and spontaneously propose to do one.. which he did apparently !)

Cervier is a long time friend, but would never say "it's good" if it's not...

And I've sent it to Greg Arce because I own some of his previous work and was curious to have a feedback (and yet again : didn't ask for a review)

But yeah, I absolutely understand your point, Reese ! Smile Hopefully you'll get what you're asking for !

Best,
Julien
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6423 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I completely understand when some are hesitant to get stuff when it looks like friends, or freebie getters, are the only ones doing a review. Well, first, getting an early review on something is basically what happens in most fields. Books are sent out to reviewers before they go to the public. Plays will be taken out on the road to work out the kinks while being reviewed in small cities., etc.

Just so you know, in the past, I've gotten tons of stuff sent to me to review. Many times I tell the person that I'm going to be honest and if I don't like it I won't say anything about it. So, now you think, "Oh, so you won't say anything bad about ANYTHING!" NO! I just feel that I'm giving my opinion. Maybe something that didn't appeal to me will appeal to others. For instance, I might hate a movie that ends up being an Oscar winner.

In the past, if I felt something was a rip off or wasn't really an original idea, I've said as much. Here's a review of something I bought at Penguin recently. Mind you, it only cost $5, but I felt ripped off even if I had paid a buck for it. There was nothing new. I sent something similar directly to Penguin and also put it as a review under the product:

I rarely do this, but I can't feel good about myself if I don't. I just purchased The Perfect Impromptu Peek as a download at Penguin. Yes, it was only $5, but it was a rip off!!! I still don't want to be accused of revealing stuff so I won't. Let's say this is similar to someone putting out their version of Card Toon and saying, "But I do it with a blue deck."

If you've been around long enough, and maybe not that long, you've seen versions of this peek that is one that can only be used in certain situations. How the peek is done has been talked about, written about and shown in many similar ways. Nothing original here.

This stuff pains me. It shows the downfall of magic and mentalism. I can't believe this person didn't ask around because he would have immediately been told this is not new. Maybe he did and didn't care.

Wow... just Wow!

Anyway, I wasn't lying about anything I said having to do with Julien's new product. I've reviewed things that only have to do with cold readings and liked them even though I really am not into cold readings. Why? Because I know many out there are and I knew from the material that it was original, useful and many would like it. Just because I don't do coin magic doesn't mean I can be highly impressed by some new technique or effect dealing with coins. I've been doing magic since I was five and I'm now 62... I've seen, read, and done a lot of things in this field so I think I have a bit of knowledge as to what is new, useful, unique or would be sought after by certain groups.

But I understand. People have been ripped off by many effects that have been put out because of the sneaky and amazing sounding ads. All I can say, is if you are into billet readings then you will get your money's worth and come away with some very cool ideas.

I hope Julien keeps putting out more of his work because it looks like he has put in the time and created some interesting new ideas.

Greg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Billets for the Modern Mindreader by Julien Losa (46 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL