The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Billets for the Modern Mindreader by Julien Losa (46 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1918 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Agree with everything Greg said.
AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
562 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Julien - thanks for your kind words about the lecture! Glad you enjoyed it Smile

So, I purchased this and have now had some time to view and think about the techniques taught.

U.M.O.S.
This BEAUTIFUL move is my favorite of the download. I absolutely plan on putting in the work to make this smooth (that's not to say that it's difficult, just want to be 100% confident in execution). This reminds me of Richard Busch's "Zen Billet" (sort of), though Julien's handling is much more efficient and requires less finger movement - mainly because the work is split between both hands. "U.M.O.S." also boasts better angles than the "Zen Billet". There is no switch in play here. You can view the entire surface of the card though I'd only be comfortable using this for drawings due to the speed of the peek (a lot of people†have atrocious handwriting).

I'm not a 'hat guy', but for those who are, the variation using a hat as cover is wonderful. I feel like the box variant is best suited for a bizarre presentation (perhaps where the box is used to house a special 'relic' or similar).

Palm Reading Peek Plot
First of all, the switch that Julien uses to get into position is SO good! Unfortunately, he doesn't teach it in this project. Looks like I'll be picking up the "[S]Witch" download Smile Not to worry though, most classic switches (Annemann, Baker, etc.) will work as long as the billet ends in a certain finger position. The choreography is best suited for palm reading (which I don't do) so I won't be using this one. The angles on this are solid though. You do, of course, have to switch in AND out if you want to hand the billet back so it's less direct than U.M.O.S..

Julien also shares a variation that doesn't require a switch but rather a wallet for a steal. To be honest, if I'm going to introduce a wallet I'd rather just use it to get the peek directly. Personal preference though.

Hold My Wrist Peek
This shares a very similar handling to the previous technique but the choreography doesn't require a Palm Reading premise. This one I might use - it's GREAT, but the directness and naturalness of U.M.O.S. is hard to beat. Unlike the previous technique, though, you aren't switching billets so, in my eyes, that's a plus. Coin guys/gals will smile at a few of the moves used in this one.

Through a Glass Reading?
Pretty self-explanatory name. This is a pretty classic way to get a motivated peek. I've often seen this used by Docc Hilford and Barrie Richardson.

I Need to Focus Peek
So... I don't much care for this handling. Even in Julien's hands the move used to open the billet feels "off" and unmotivated to me. My other qualm with this is the way the billet is held in the hand - it just feels unnatural.

In Hand Focus after a Switch
This one appears more natural than the previous technique but I still struggle to justify using this over U.M.O.S. because, again, you have to switch the billet in and out. If you're proficient with the necessary moves (and can appropriately motivate them) this is a solid strategy though. I simply prefer more direct peeks.

CLOSING THOUGHTS - Although I plan to only practice/use 2 of the 5 main peeks taught, I'm still extremely impressed by this download. I'm VERY much an advocate for learning from books (in most cases), but the timing and choreography required of billet work lends itself better to video instruction. It was a joy to see ALL of the moves in Julien's (extremely capable) hands. For me, $30 is fair for two new techniques to perform direct mind reading using nothing more than paper and a pencil/pen.

Congrats Julien - it's a fantastic project!

Best wishes,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX

ELEMENTARY: Now Available!
ALL PROJECTS AVAILABLE AT: www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues.html
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1248 Posts

Profile of reese
Thanks Drew for the honest review. I've bought the material based on your words. After viewing it, I agree with most of it. To handle billets ( like cards ) you have to tweak most explanations towards the uniqueness of your own hands. I like the "bold" move. I know I can modify it to make it work for my hands. I like changing handlings that way. U.M.O.S. is a thing of real beauty. That alone is worth the small price of the download. I am well versed in billet work. I didn't think anyone could add to my knowledge in any real way. Billets are a finite geometric shape. The revolutionary aspect of this work is not in the old time basic technique of opening it. It's how you can do it under fire. With no apparent cover. And that is a profound move forward. It's brilliant. Not all of the material is exciting to me. But the bright part(s) will invigorate & excite you. I am surprised and delighted.
Dreda
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of Dreda
I bought the product but I know Julien (by the way, penguin hasn't published my review (24/06) yet I don't know why...).

It's not Julien's fault if he has many friends or at least people who respect him even if he left France.

I'm one of them and he's really a passionate person, a lover of billet work and someone who's not the kind of man to release a product without investigating if something already exists and asks for permissions when necessary (it's sometimes complicated, we stand on the shoulders of giants...and by searching through old forgotten books we often find tomorrow's releases).

Is it worth $29? The questions I would ask myself are :

- If I already have a method that works, do I need another publication on this subject ? the answer is no.

- Do I like the billet work and want to get variations for real-time reading with someone who has been thinking about a ton of use for a number of different scenarios (chiromancy / joint use with SUC, etc.) and have already read most of the stuff on the subject including switchcraft obviously ? then, the answer is a big YES.

- Will I regret my purchase because the content is bad/not workable and I've been fooled by reviews from creator's friends who put good reviews on each other products without even having read/watched the content, put on sale the products of their own site with a commission ? the answer is no.

- Is Julien good at marketing for his releases in general ? The answer is no. I'm ashamed of him, I wouldn't have gone through penguin personally because it causes indirects issues (Some may understand what I'm talking about).
For the reviews that he gets from friends he didn't ask for, the only thing he asks for are criticisms and in France we are the champions of the world of criticism since centuries.

I have nothing to win, nothing to sell and I got the product for free at first but I decided to buy it to show how much I enjoyed it and to post a legitimate review on penguin.

For the video, everything is clearly explained, it doesn't go too fast and we have the different viewpoints.

If you are really disappointed, just tell us and I personnaly promise to never again give my opinion on a product on the MC. Smile
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1918 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Nice analysis Dreda. Iíve been practicing U.M.O.S. So good! These peeks do take practice, but well worth it.
AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
ma-j-cien
View Profile
New user
France
49 Posts

Profile of ma-j-cien
Hello everyone ! I'm really glad you all seem to enjoy my peeks ! Smile

A little something I didn't mention in my course (because I wanted to cover the techniques, not the subtleties nor the routines I'm doing) :
I believe that the best way to get the peek (when it's a short one, thus not during the Palmreading Peek Plot... but with UMOS it's perfect)is by "confusing" your spectator : you ask "are you left handed or right handed?" it has them take a second to answer (you give their brain something to focus on), IMMEDIATELY after they answer you reply "yeah, give me your hand flat" as you're gesturing (in a way to "show them what to do" aka give their hand flat) you look down at your hands (and get the peek)...

It's something that works for real time peek center tear (I've been using this with the T-Rex for years now), it also works pretty well with UMOS...

I mean, we all (should) know that a question is a good misdirection, right ? Smile

I've been foolin' some magicians and mindreaders with this timing ! Smile

Enjoy !

Best,
Julien
Bernice
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Bernice
I'm really tempted by this. I'm curious about the Palmreader Peek Plot and this UMOS peek. I enjoyed Julien's [S]Witch. It's hard to ascertain whether I already own the mechanics of these billet peeks, what with owning Switchcraft and a few other classics.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2386 Posts

Profile of 252life
Based on the voices in this room...ordered Smile
Thx to all for the open honest feedback.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2386 Posts

Profile of 252life
Hahaha 56 seconds in and I'm smiling already (and felt it necessary to share :/)... back to it now..

That was almost worth the price of admission for me already

-Theodore Annemann
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2850 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Working on this is bringing back memories of the joys of first learning the methods in Obsidian Oblique!
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2386 Posts

Profile of 252life
This is brain candy and Iím really enjoying it. Itíll take some practice (thank god) but itís already fun.
Thereís one bit that reminds me of something Leval does in AOK2 that Iím already a fan of.
I doubt Iíll find much use for the hat/box approach but it doesnít hurt to have options.
Anyway, no regrets on this one in the least and Iím looking forward to seeing where this goes after some practice Smile

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2386 Posts

Profile of 252life
(btw I did not mean the core move in AOK at all, the p@@k is completely different. If you watch both youíll know what Iím referring to)

-Theodore Annemann
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
796 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
First a disclaimer: Julien shared most of the content of this project with me years ago and, since then, I have spent a non negligible part of my time telling him UMOS is great and should be released.

Quote:
On Jul 1, 2020, Bernice wrote:
I'm really tempted by this. I'm curious about the Palmreader Peek Plot and this UMOS peek. I enjoyed Julien's [S]Witch. It's hard to ascertain whether I already own the mechanics of these billet peeks, what with owning Switchcraft and a few other classics.

This is fully original and not found in [S]Witch nor Switchcraft (the one exception is the glass peek that was added for completeness but does appear in some classics).

Also, as I said previously, UMOS is the best full peek done with a folded billet that I am aware of. It is one of those "why did nobody think of that before ?" kind of idea and I would expect it to become a classic within the next few years. It is that good.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2386 Posts

Profile of 252life
Itís a treat to watch his handling

-Theodore Annemann
ma-j-cien
View Profile
New user
France
49 Posts

Profile of ma-j-cien
Hello !
I'm SO glad and grateful you all seem to enjoy my techniques !!! Seriously ! <3
Thank you for the support !!!

Best,
Julien
Bernice
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Bernice
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2020, Nestor D wrote:
First a disclaimer: Julien shared most of the content of this project with me years ago and, since then, I have spent a non negligible part of my time telling him UMOS is great and should be released.

Quote:
On Jul 1, 2020, Bernice wrote:

This is fully original and not found in [S]Witch nor Switchcraft (the one exception is the glass peek that was added for completeness but does appear in some classics).

Also, as I said previously, UMOS is the best full peek done with a folded billet that I am aware of. It is one of those "why did nobody think of that before ?" kind of idea and I would expect it to become a classic within the next few years. It is that good.

Three minutes in and it is already worth the purchase. I'm definitely practicing UMOS.

Nestor D, in your opinion, what is the best full peek done with an non-folded billet?
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
796 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
Bernice: I send you a PM to avoid derailing the thread Smile
UnbiasedMagicReviews
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of UnbiasedMagicReviews
My Unbiased Magic review:

https://youtu.be/QZj5-MYf6Ck
YouTube & Instagram - UnbiasedMagicReviews
I buy/review magic to help you make better decisions
ma-j-cien
View Profile
New user
France
49 Posts

Profile of ma-j-cien
Hello!
Thank you so very much for the review 😊

Glad you enjoyed it ! 😊

Best,
Julien
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2386 Posts

Profile of 252life
Iíd recommend getting ahold of Switch as well. Everything Iíve seen from Julien so far is great.

-Theodore Annemann
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Billets for the Modern Mindreader by Julien Losa (46 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL