The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Paul Osborne Camera Illusion (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicManRusty
View Profile
New user
Fort Wayne, IN
2 Posts

Profile of MagicManRusty
Years ago (I mean...sometime in the 90's) Genii published (monthly) Paul's Illusion plans. One was an appearance that was built to look like a giant camera. First, does anyone remember this (maybe it was called Shutterbug…)? And, two, does anyone know where one could get the plans now? Still published anywhere? Anyone have them…?

Thanks in advance.

Rusty
Mike Thornton
View Profile
Regular user
Canton, MI
109 Posts

Profile of Mike Thornton
If you subscribe to Genii, all issues are online and you can search for free.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Good luck using the search engine . It's a bit eccentric, can sometimes be like searching for a needle in a hay stack . (but I still think having the digital archive of Genii is great and I use it all the time , worth the price of subscription, but the search engine will be a lesson to you in learning patience and how to endure tedious, repetitious tasks. Let's just say , Google it ain't ...)

I did not find anything by searching for "Paul Osborne camera illusion" or "Paul Osborne Shutterbug" with a date range from 01/01/1990 to 12/31/2000

However, I expanded the search range from 01/01/1980 - to - 12/31/2000 and using the search term "Paul Osborne camera" found The Shutter Bug by Paul Osborne, in the July 1985 issue.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Rusty the Osborne site is still on line and selling Paul's magnificent work. https://hamiltonholtinc.stores.yahoo.net/index.html
You can email Bentli@aol.com for information on the plan you are looking for they have the entire run of Genii plans.

Joe
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Because it was published in the July 1985 issue, there's also a possibility that it was republished in the Big Black Book (Paul Osborne). I think that book has the Genii plans from 1981 to 1991.

They still sell the softcover version of the Big Black Book on the website, which I believe is run by Michelle.

https://hamiltonholtinc.stores.yahoo.net/sofverbigbla.html

I had one of the original hardcover versions of the Big Black Book, but I sold it a few years ago, so unfortunately I can't check the book myself to see if it's in there.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
It was indeed published in The Big Back Book, and the name is indeed The Shutter Bug. It appears on pages 144 - 145. Here's the description.

Effect:
The magician introduces his giant magical camera. It's wheeled out on a thin-looking platform and all sides are shown. Blank "film" is displayed and slid into the back of the camera as the front lens area is opened to show the interior empty. The front door is again closed and the magician shows different "negatives" and slides each one into the camera. The first one is the bird negative. Quickly the front is opened and there's a dove in front of the negative! The front is closed. the dove negative removed and the rabbit negative is inserted. Voila--a rabbit! And of course the grand finale-- a girl negative and the appearance of your beautiful girl assistant!
MagicManRusty
View Profile
New user
Fort Wayne, IN
2 Posts

Profile of MagicManRusty
Thanks a billion gents. Great resources... Out of curiosity, are any of you aware of anyone how has built and performed this?
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
I've always liked the idea of the camera theme, seems easy for audiences to follow.

Not many videos of performances are posted. Here is a version using a different method with a vanish then reappearance sequence.

To me, the production build up of Shutter Bug seems more logical and direct. A similar idea is Christopher's Slot Machine which Dan Harlan built a couple years back in his Tarbell series of videos:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/9237
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Paul Osborne Camera Illusion (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL