The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » InstaCAAN : Smoother than your grannies chip pan (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
It looks very good.

I sometimes wonder if we have TOO many versions of ACAAN. I have a version that uses a regular deck. I am very happy with it because they can name any number and their card is at that number. There is a bit of sleight of hand, but I haven't had a single person, including many magicians catch me. It's not difficult, just effectively choreographed. I created the routine from an inspiration from a completely different routine by Dave Williamson.

Are we getting TOO reliant on gimmicks?

KJ
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
697 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
I just watched the PropDog demo. One spectator chooses a number from 1 - 5, the other chooses a number from 6 - 9. What if their combined numbers creates " 59 " ? ( or 58, or 57, or 56, etc )
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2020, RickVancouver wrote:
I just watched the PropDog demo. One spectator chooses a number from 1 - 5, the other chooses a number from 6 - 9. What if their combined numbers creates " 59 " ? ( or 58, or 57, or 56, etc )

In the demo he asks “think of a number in between 1-5”. Not from 1-5
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1581 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
Everything is covered in the video that accompanies the routine.

Best wishes,

Joel

Quote:
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1581 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
Any number from one to five is absolutely fine.

For clarity that is 1,2,3,4 or 5.

All the best,

Joel 👍🏼

Quote:
On Oct 12, 2020, tomd wrote:
Quote:

In the demo he asks “think of a number in between 1-5”. Not from 1-5
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
Oh OK my bad.

Nice work
AJ MAJIC
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of AJ MAJIC
Got mine coming but have a ? what's a chip pan??
The only pan my granny had was a frying pan...but that was bumpy..
from hittin my grandad over the head...
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2020, JoelDickinson wrote:

All the best,

Joel 👍🏼

I don't think 5 is explained in either of the video explanations. I just re-watched, figuring I had missed something, but it's not covered.

Actually, fwiw, in your video, you mention a text file but there doesn't seem to be one.

Regarding the effect in general, it's a decent approach and I'm sure the restrictions will fly. I'd have preferred this as just a download personally though.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
You may as well use a Svengali and ask both spectators to think of a number between 1 and 26 to create a unique combined number between 1/52 . Just so they don’t pick the same number can one think of an odd and one an even ( yes that old but good chestnut ) . An odd and an even number always creates an odd number without the spectators realising . So a Svengali deck works a treat as you can show the card before and the card after the number they arrive at and then riffle the deck to show all different . I personally short edge the long sides rather than the ends as the riffle is far more natural and fools all layman familiar with the traditional long and short principle Gaz 🙂
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
But the whole point of this is the “Plot Twist” and all the cards are blank at the end. Now of course you could still do it with a Svengali deck where half the deck is blank but that is nowhere near as good as letting them see without doubt that all the cards are indeed blank.
I’d rather get the dirty stuff out of the way in the beginning and be totally clean at the end because that is what they will remember.

However, I still favor Mark Mason’s No Choice Wallet to achieve this effect.
Also, with his wallet, since you have already “forced” the card I can use the same wallet and go right into a routine using Higar’s Rainbow card. I personally use the torn corner version but any of them will do. The NC wallet is perfect for Rainbow Cards.
loudini1972
View Profile
New user
Central New Jersey
95 Posts

Profile of loudini1972
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2020, Last Laugh wrote:
Quote:

All the best,

Joel 👍🏼

I don't think 5 is explained in either of the video explanations. I just re-watched, figuring I had missed something, but it's not covered.

Actually, fwiw, in your video, you mention a text file but there doesn't seem to be one.

Regarding the effect in general, it's a decent approach and I'm sure the restrictions will fly. I'd have preferred this as just a download personally though.

I agree with this as I just went through the routine and was wondering about the number 5. If they choose 5 the trick can't work because there are only 52 cards.

Joel, can you please advise? If you don't want to do it here, please PM me. Thx
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Great idea videoman to combine the No Choice wallet with Rainbow , kind regards Gaz 🙂
Jon Strum
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Jon Strum
I'm disappointed that once again, the demo video shows a best-case outcome. There are other outcomes to this trick that aren't "hands-off" and some that require a clean up. To only show the best case scenario is shady. And if it's such an awesome trick no matter the outcome -- then use a video that shows one of those "other" outcomes. Earlier in this thread Joel posted the obvious truth that everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, choosing between right and wrong isn't a matter of opinion. It's a matter of how much someone is comfortable getting away with something that they know is misleading. Yes, the demo video represents a possible outcome of this trick. However, if someone makes a purchase decision while under the impression that, with practice, this is what their performance will consistently look like -- well, no.
"Do you like card tricks?" he asked.
I said no. He did five.
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1581 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
This is not a misleading advert at all. Actually we don’t mention the magician counts the cards at all.
Even though the magician counts the cards 50% of the time, we decided to write the weakest outcome.

It’s not advertised as a hands off routine. The weakest outcome is still excellent and it’s easy to perform.

We even teach a method that eliminates a sleight.
However the sleights required are basic sleights, I do suggest getting comfortable with the routine. It’s so easy to do when you’re comfortable.

Actually, the outcome you see with the large table is a 50% outcome and it’s hands off with the counting.
And regarding showing the best. We didn’t. The reactions on the video are from both the best outcome and the weakest.

If you are having any difficulties just get in touch and we are always happy to help.

I absolutely perform InstACAAN and stand by it being a fantastic effect. If you want to see a live performance I’m happy to chat on zoom and show you.
We can arrange that.

And as I say: if you’re having any difficulties I’m happy to help

Best wishes,

Joel.

Quote:
On Oct 15, 2020, Jon Strum wrote:
I'm disappointed that once again, the demo video shows a best-case outcome. There are other outcomes to this trick that aren't "hands-off" and some that require a clean up. To only show the best case scenario is shady. And if it's such an awesome trick no matter the outcome -- then use a video that shows one of those "other" outcomes. Earlier in this thread Joel posted the obvious truth that everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, choosing between right and wrong isn't a matter of opinion. It's a matter of how much someone is comfortable getting away with something that they know is misleading. Yes, the demo video represents a possible outcome of this trick. However, if someone makes a purchase decision while under the impression that, with practice, this is what their performance will consistently look like -- well, no.
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1581 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
I will message you once my boy is finally asleep.

All the best,

Joel 👍🏼

Quote:
On Oct 14, 2020, loudini1972 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

All the best,

Joel 👍🏼

I agree with this as I just went through the routine and was wondering about the number 5. If they choose 5 the trick can't work because there are only 52 cards.

Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2020, JoelDickinson wrote:
I will message you once my boy is finally asleep.

All the best,

Joel 👍🏼

Quote:
On Oct 14, 2020, loudini1972 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

All the best,

Joel 👍🏼

Yeah can you message me as well? Also wondering about that text file you mention.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Jon Strum
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Jon Strum
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2020, JoelDickinson wrote:
This is not a misleading advert at all. Actually we don’t mention the magician counts the cards at all.
Even though the magician counts the cards 50% of the time, we decided to write the weakest outcome.

It’s not advertised as a hands off routine. The weakest outcome is still excellent and it’s easy to perform.

We even teach a method that eliminates a sleight.
However the sleights required are basic sleights, I do suggest getting comfortable with the routine. It’s so easy to do when you’re comfortable.

Actually, the outcome you see with the large table is a 50% outcome and it’s hands off with the counting.
And regarding showing the best. We didn’t. The reactions on the video are from both the best outcome and the weakest.

If you are having any difficulties just get in touch and we are always happy to help.

I absolutely perform InstACAAN and stand by it being a fantastic effect. If you want to see a live performance I’m happy to chat on zoom and show you.
We can arrange that.

And as I say: if you’re having any difficulties I’m happy to help

Best wishes,

Joel.

Quote:
On Oct 15, 2020, Jon Strum wrote:

Joel, here's where we agree -- InstaCAAN is a fantastic effect. But it isn't always a fantastic handling to achieve the effect. And, just to clarify, I have no problem with the sleights. As you point out, they're basic. But I find some of the "steps" required by other outcomes physically clumsy. To post a video of demonstrating the effect and then, once it's called out, say that it shows an outcome that will happen 50% of the time (which means it's also the outcome that WON'T happen 50% of the time) and not believe it's misleading? I guess we can agree to disagree there. I'm not complaining that I can't perform your effect. But I'll stand by my original comment -- If someone makes a purchase decision while under the impression that, with practice, their performance will consistently look like the performance that you chose to show in the demo video -- well no. And isn't that really the whole point of including a demo video???
"Do you like card tricks?" he asked.
I said no. He did five.
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
That is disappointing to hear. I agree that if the best outcome is only 50% of the time, they should state that in the ad copy.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
The other often misleading claim that virtually all magic creators who devise an effect which has multiple outcomes will say is that ALL the outcomes are equally strong or very strong. This is almost never true. There is always a weakest link IMO.
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1581 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
It’s 5050 as to while does the deal. In the promo text we do not state the spectator can deal. We state the magician deals. We even state the magician deals in the video.

I wouldn’t miss lead anybody. Hence the reason I m being open there also.

Best wishes,

Joel

Quote:
On Oct 15, 2020, Magic KL wrote:
That is disappointing to hear. I agree that if the best outcome is only 50% of the time, they should state that in the ad copy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » InstaCAAN : Smoother than your grannies chip pan (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL